Young Writers Society

Is this how I enter the Reader Games?

69 Reviews

Reviews: 69
Wed May 15, 2013 1:04 am
WillowCutz says...

I just don't know?
Oh well.......
"Keeper of the Lost Cities" by: Shannon Messanger. I volunteer as tribute to the Jupiter Arena (despite that Jupiter's pressure would crush me into brown dwarf nuggets) just please leave Tay Tay out of the Games. Cheese! I hated the "ReaDing." See what I did there?.................Coughs. I'll just start now. :smt003

KoftLC's is about a girl named Sophie Foster who just happens to have the good fortune of being an elf who can read minds, lift objects with HER mind, and a bunch of other awesome, scary elfish things. Also she has the least desirable anility of all the elvin powers: she's been living in the forbidden cities for the last twelve years. So she has no idea she's an elf who can lift things with her mind and do cool elf stuff like not die. All she has is a photographic memory and her trusty telepathy which drives her madbecause it gives her headaches and she can't explain why to anyone.

Naturally this concoction of super awesome anilities and ignorence leaves her pretty scared when a boy named Fitz tells her she's an elf and wisksher off to a magical elf realm where everyone tells her "Hey, you know how ypu think you fit in here? You have ten times the power that we do and you can't tell anyone."

So pretty much she's in the same position as before except she has even less of an understanding of what's she's supposed to do in this world of magic, anti-physics, and super good looking people who just don't seem to want her there.

Even worse news, in this world she has friends to help teach her and support her. Good news she has to stop an evil plot to destroy her human family while also worrying about getting adopted into her new family, not getting exiled by the elvin world, and not getting kicked out of her new school. Better news, she doesnt know who IS her friend, she sucks and alchemy, and cryptic notes keep telling her to break the law and her chances in school to go save the people the elves don't care about: us.

Or was that the other way around?

KoftLC's is a magical adventure through a world where everything is possible but you just can't do it. There are loveable characters who try to destroy her chances at a normal life in this new abnormal world. And a new optimistic look on life that shows you that anything is possible.....if you happen to be an elf named Sophie Foster.

Though the story is great and the rising action of the novel were great, the Exposition and rapping up points were rather lacking on the writing side. The Exposition makes you want to get to the fun parts a lot faster and the ending made you feel like Shannon was trying too hard to push in new loose ends for her sequel. Messanger should have tried harder to hide the new storylines for the seqel or shove some of them in her exposition for book two.

I would definately recomend this book for kids who have not read a good book in several months or just had to read All But My Life for school as this book allows for the creative thoughts to jumpstart. Not recommended for Post-Harry-Artemis-Percy saddness due to it's lacking in the department of plot-line clarity. Do not read if nauseous at sight of large books, too-many-chracter-migraines, or if you have been to an area were certain RHI (reading hatred infection)'s are common.

Shannon Messenger creates a wonderful land where you totally want to live in and never leave. The characters have quirks that are relatable, if not perfectly explain you. And her storytelling presents you with a mystery you won't expect until the last moment.

Peace out, See ya, Sincerly, write on, Praise the Llama overlords
~Willow Cutz
Sometimes it's nice to just laugh at yourself!
I should know, I do it all the time!

I’d heard he had started a fistfight in one of the seedier local taverns because someone had insisted on saying the word “utilize” instead of “use".
— Patrick Rothfuss, A Wise Man's Fear