z

Young Writers Society

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection; Well Worth Playing Again

Reviews: 2
Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:47 am
jellyfox says...

Concept: Bring some of the best games of last generation to this generation.
Gameplay: Still feels fine, though keep in mind that this was before the standard for game controls was set.
Graphics: Simply adding a fresh coat of paint to games that still look good on PS2 and PSP.
Story: As beautiful (and convoluted) as ever.
Sound: I actually have some of these songs on my iPod.
Replay Value: High

Let's establish a fact: I love Metal Gear. Every game, from the original to Solid to Ac!d, and probably soon Rising. It has my single favorite game story of all time, and details in gameplay that I don't see anywhere else. The Metal Gear Solid HD Collection stays true to all of this, from Olga's hairy armpits to kissing posters in lockers, and puts it under a fresh coat of paint. The games, which still look great, look even better, though they still show age. Gameplay in 2 & 3 is definitely not aging too great, and the controls may take a while for newbies to master, but series vetarans will feel right at home, even with the Xbox controller. Peace Walker has more standard third-person shooter controls, and plays MUCH better on consoles. The soundtrack is great, and suitably epic. One thing I really wish they added, though, is a theater mode for the first game's cutscenes, so people new to the series can get a better story experience, and old timers can refresh on the extremely complex story. The added achievement/trophy system gives you goals to go after in more playthroughs, but these games are worth playing through again repeatedly anyways.

OVERALL: 9.25/10
Insanity keeps me from losing my mind.
"Ghosts are real, and monsters are real, too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win."
-Stephen King

Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
— Martin Luther King Jr.