Young Writers Society

Fugazi- 13 Songs

279 Reviews

Reviews: 279
Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:43 pm
MasterGrieves says...

Spoiler! :

A historical?
What is emo? Is it just a bunch of whiny brats with bad hairdos, with tattoos all over, and generic singers talking about not getting laid? Or is it what the word suggests? Emo= emotion. The origins of emo have been debated for quite some time. But one thing is for sure: it's not your MCR. Instead, it can be found in the roots of the Washington DC hardcore scene. There, two legends hooked up. Ian Mackaye, formerly of Minor Threat, met up with Guy Piccioto of Rites Of Spring. While both bands had short-lived careers they left behind some of the most influential music of the 80's. Along with Guy came fellow Rites Of Spring bandmate Brendan Canty, who soon joined up with Joe Lally. Here, Fugazi was born.

One thing to make clear: 13 Songs is technically a compilation, comprising their first two EPs 7 Songs & Margin Walker, but for me this IS their debut. I just count it like this because it was their first full-length release. It also proved to be not just one of the best punk debuts ever but- arguably- out of any genre. Ian Mackaye's scream, Guy Piccioto's shrivelled high end shriek makes for 40 minutes of raw energy and emotion.

The instrumentation on the album is excellent- strong, catchy basslines lock into a hypnotic groove with the drums, showcasing Fugazi's criminally underrated rhythm section. The guitars provided by Ian Mackaye (mainly on the first part of the CD) provide a high-end blow; power-chords, fifth chords, arpeggios (I kid you not)? It was like 1977 all over again- in general, for underground alternative rock, it proved to be an awesome year. New York's experimental Sonic Youth were still touring their magnum opus Daydream Nation and Boston's highly influential Pixies just dropped their swansong Doolittle. Now it was DC's turn to return the favour. And they did that with 13 Songs.

The songs themselves? (insert profanity) marvelous. Kicking off with the anthem Waiting Room, Fugazi provide a pre-cursor to the alternative rock boom that would come; a prophetical Smells Like Teen Spirit, if you will. The lyrics are emotional and confused, provided with Ian Mackaye ("I am a patient boy, I WAIT I WAIT I WAIT!"). This song alone provides the perfect introduction to the world of Fugazi, and serves as one of the greatest opening tracks of all time. Most songs don't have Guy playing guitar, so he is either provides backing vocals or joint vocals with Ian Mackaye on those songs. Live performances show him getting seriously into the music- dancing around like he is possessed by an invisible force only known by himself.

Songs like Bulldog Front and Bad Mouth highlight "posers" and attention seekers, something previously exploited in Mackaye's time in Minor Threat. There are also songs that are more open to interpretation- on first glance, Give Me The Cure sounds like another help-me-i'm-lonely number, but could in fact be about AIDs (this was the 1980's remember). Other songs concern very touchy subjects, including voyeurism (Margin Walker), political correctness (And The Same) and rape (the standout Suggestion). The closing track Promises is an example of a classic Fugazi lyric ("Promises are shit!"). It is also very unconvetional of Fugazi- there is a tempo change three quartrs of the way through the song, until ending with a bang ("Promises! Promises! Promises! Words!").

13 Songs is Fugazi's most successful release, with total worldwide sales over 3 million. No singles, no radio airplay, no promotion. All through word of mouth. Fugazi are true DIY and it shows. Most of their albums are produced by themselves, and their label Dischord is co-operated by Ian Mackaye. They choose their venues, choose the price of shows/CDs, and even turned down a $10 million offer from a major label. That's putting your money where your mouth is.

13 Songs isn't just a post-punk album, nor is it hardcore. There are elements of funk, no wave and even pop. The band may be on an indefinite hiatus, but what does that matter? 13 Songs is a classic album, one that highlights Fugazi as a driving force even at the birth of their career.

And after 22 years, they're still sitting in the waiting room.

5/5
The Nation of Ulysses Must Prevail!

If you don't like Mikko, you better friggin' die.

The power of Robert Smith compels you!

Adam + Lisa ♥

When you greet a stranger look at his shoes.
Keep your money in your shoes.

I was 567ajt

Daddy Long Legs are more closely related to crabs than spiders and somehow the idea of crablike creatures with spider legs that have escaped the entrappings of the primordial sea and now crawl over land and can walk up and down walls and ceilings creeps me more than I can adequately describe.
— Snoink