Young Writers Society

What is the Best Movie you have seen...

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:08 pm
View Likes
Napier says...

It's got to be The Dark Knight for me.

Heath Ledger was such a beautiful Joker, and it was everything Bat-fans wanted out of a Batman movie.

I have a feeling that The Dark Knight Rises may just surpass it as my favourite film of all time, but I guess we'll just have to see.
“It is the tale, not he who tells it.”
― Stephen King

“If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.”
― Stephen King

Formerly BadlyDrawnLightning

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:42 am
View Likes
Stori says...

There's no question in my mind- Secondhand Lions. It's a "boy's own" story with a twist- two crazy uncles and a used lioness! The special effects, and there are plenty, are done by the famous Digital Domain. However, the best part is the film's message: Sometimes you have to believe in something, whether it's true or not.

Reviews: 0
Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:59 pm
WeAreBlackout says...

I'm really excited for the Night Chronicles to come out. The first movie, Devil, was absolutely amazing. The acting was great, because you keep guessing who the Devil is throughout the film and when it comes at the end it just hits you. Really unexpected.

Dog Soldiers is another great movie. It's British, bloody and freaky. It;s about werewolves attacking British soldiers on a training exercise up in Scotland. Because the film came out in 2002, the wolves themselves aren't that impressive but everything else is. The script is good at reflecting everything stereotypically British, like football, complaining, teamwork. There are some pretty drastic plot twists but I really love this film. It's one Hell of a classic.
"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't"

"And contrariwise,what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would, you see?

417 Reviews

Reviews: 417
Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:03 pm
Willard says...

Mine has to be A Clockwork Orange
For a kid this generation, that was amazing
It was fun, violent, intense, fast
Just great

"Words say little to the mind compared to space thundering with images and crammed with sounds."

stranger, strangelove, drstrangelove, strange, willard

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:39 am
View Likes
Loller65 says...

I have several films that qualify, to me, as "best movie I've ever seen", as lsited below (in no particular order)

1. Taxi Driver

Brilliantly shot, scored, acted, and written. The first time I saw it I was blown away. De Niro is a powerhouse. He's creepy and bizarre and frightening. Not guts and gore frightening, but the intensity he brings to the role has never been matched (though I will admit Joaquin Phoenix came damn close in The Master). You can see the insanity in his eyes. The iconic "you talkin' to me?" scene is a perfect example of how perfectly insanely crazy he plays the role. Marty's "Have you ever seen what a .44 magnum will do to a woman's pussy?" cameo is another great example of the film presenting a grotesque view of Travis's life. Was that passenger real? Was it a hallucination on the part of Travis? Who knows? I don't. The only problem I have with the film is that people often talk about how cool or badass Travis is. If you honestly like Travis you've completely missed the point of the movie.

2. Raging Bull

Marty is a genius, and this film proved it. The (mostly) true story of Jake LaMotta as told by arguably the best actor/director team ever. Shot in gorgeous black and white and powerfully acted, Raging Bull didn't wow me as much as Taxi Driver, but is objectively the better film. More earnest and emotional and flawless in its cinematography and score, Raging Bull is a perfect film. From the gorgeous slow motion opening of LaMotta shadowboxing to the closing scene of LaMotta practicing his stand up bit, Raging Bull is the quintessential biopic. The fights and intense and gritty and gorgeous, and watching LaMotta's rise and fall is a cinematic experience unlike any other. One of a handful of truly perfect films.

3. The Tree of Life

The best film made in the last twenty years, and one of the greatest of all time. The Tree of Life attempts not to tell a story, but rather to encompass all of human life and emotion in just under two and a half hours. Ambitious and pretentious sounding? Most definitely. But it's earnest and grounded. Malick has created the most visually appetizing film of all time, as well as the most emotionally satisfying. The best film about childhood ever made, The Tree of Life is a complex and rewarding piece of cinema that isn't made for everyone. The hardest of the list to describe, it may also be the best. Belongs in the same "flawless" tier as Raging Bull, and then some.

4. Drive

Style, style, style. Three words used to describe Refn's techno powered neo noir crime thriller. Gosling delivers a powerhouse performance as a loner stuntdriver/wheelman. Opposite him is Carey Mulligan, a working parent with a spouse in the slammer and a kid to take care of. Their lives cross paths and nothing good comes of it. Moody and slick and a solid knockout in every way, Drive proves that films can survive on style alone. The action sequences are gritty and intense, the scenes between Gosling and Mulligan are quiet and contemplative and beautiful, and the score is an electronic delight that conveys perfectly the film's mood. A sort of Taxi Driver for the modern age, if you will.

5. Lawrence of Arabia

The epitome of the epic film, Lawrence of Arabia was shot on 70mm film and it shows. Even on a small screen the visuals are nothing short of awe-inspiring. The expertly and deliberately composed shots, the grand and sweeping score, and Peter O'Toole's timeless performance as T.E. Lawrence are iconic for a reason. The film is an experience to behold in one sitting if at all possible. Yes, the nearly four hour runtime is daunting, but those willing to sit through it will find truly one of the best things ever put to film. The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts.

So yeah, those are just about the greatest films I've ever seen. Conversely, the worst movies I've ever seen.
"There are no absolute rules of conduct, either in peace or war. Everything depends on circumstances."

-Leon Trotsky-

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:36 pm
Elinor says...

I just saw Into the Wild a few days ago. It's one of the best movies I've seen in a while.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

279 Reviews

Reviews: 279
Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:42 pm
MasterGrieves says...

Fight Club.
The Nation of Ulysses Must Prevail!

If you don't like Mikko, you better friggin' die.

The power of Robert Smith compels you!

Adam + Lisa ♥

When you greet a stranger look at his shoes.
Keep your money in your shoes.

I was 567ajt

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:34 pm
View Likes
deleted5 says...

I LURVE the Hunger Games! Honestly every detail, every character, every set is just perfect! Even though I have watched a GAZILLION times I still get that feeling of tension while watching it! The shaky cameras, music and the plot simply make it more real, and not just a film.
....so yeah! I like it!
Spoiler! :
Shut up Alex! You don't like it! You LURVE it!
I AM YOUR GOD. -AlexSushiDog
Checkmate Atheists.

166 Reviews

Reviews: 166
Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:32 pm
View Likes
Cheetah says...

Deathly Hallows Part 2 is crazy epic. Amazing soundtrack & special effects. Harry Potter is my life.
And passersby who heard his echoing laughter wondered what kind of grief man had to go through before he could laugh so free.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:37 pm
vitamere says...

I just watched Now You See Me at 3 in the morning today and it has become one of my favorites.

All the HP films are great, especially the last 3 movies.

I also love How To Train Your Dragon, Tangled, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle.

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:47 am
Sylar says...

HMMMMMMM

Can I list a lot?

Okay, I have 11:

The Village

Gone With the Wind

Amadeus

The Aviator

The Descendants

The Darjeeling Limited

All About Eve

The Band Wagon

And the guilty pleasures: Anchorman and House Bunny
A SURPRISE PARTY

FOR ME

YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-6cunaBd7A)

1007 Reviews

Reviews: 1007
Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:26 pm
View Likes
TimmyJake says...

For me? Hmmm... Hard I find this... Many movies, I like... And no, one of them isn't Star Wars. :D

I would have to say that my favorite movie is either Last Samurai or Bourne Ultimatum. They are both awesome movies with awesome plots and Last Samurai has Tom Cruise, and he's awesome.. Bourne Ultimatum has Matt Damon and he's awesome. Aggghhh!! I can't choose which one is my favorite!! Last Samurai has the best plot by far, but in the end everybody dies... except for him. :( I can't choose which one...
But, I would have to say that those two are my favorites, either those or Dark Knight and Hunger Games(haven't watched Catching Fire yet)
Used to be tIMMYjAKE

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:41 pm
NightWolf says...

I watched War Horse for the first time in ages. Definitely one of the best. I was in tears all the way through. Captain Nicholls' death was treated beautifully, as was Topthorn's.
I recommend it A LOT.
"We're all just stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?" The Eleventh Doctor

Random avatar

Reviews: 16
Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:52 pm
Taxi says...

I have a special place in my heart for Heat. (1995) It's currently my favorite movie, although my favorites change all the time.
The soundtrack and (most of the) performances are spot on, and I love the concept of professional crime and heists. What I love more, however, is how Heat follows the personal conflicts of both the criminals and the cop tracking them down. The ending has to be one of the most beautiful I've seen.

This is an early scene in the movie. It'll do a good job of helping you decide if you want to see the full movie or not. It's got profanity and violence, so be aware of that. (Link)

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:35 pm
NightWolf says...

New favourite. I've always loved Marvel's Cinematic Universe. I begged, sulked and downright screamed until Mum let me go with my mate to see The Winter Soldier. It wasn't labelled as a superhero movie, but a political thriller. And boy, were they right. It stayed true to Captain, and his beliefs, and how he is so hopelessly confused in what people stand for. It had some brilliant dialogue, and so many emotional scenes. (One word: Bucky). My personal favourite scene is the elevator fight. As soon as Cap realises he's gonna have a fight with about 20 men in a small space, he just turned around and says as casual as anything: "Before we get started, does anyone wanna get out?"
It's just amazing, and I cannot wait until it comes out on DVD.
"We're all just stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?" The Eleventh Doctor

Why can't I put the entire Bee Movie in the quote generator? Would you prefer if I put in the Shrek script instead?
— CaptainJack