z

Young Writers Society

What is the Best Movie you have seen...

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:23 pm
BenFranks says...

What is the best movie you've ever seen? Why?

Let us know!

I've personally always been a fan of the 007 film series, Quentin Tarantino movies and The Dark Knight. They're just so original in their own lights and, for me, are timeless films I can watch again and again.

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:31 pm
View Likes
Betheny says...

Super 8, a film directed by J.J. Abrams and produced by Steven Spielberg. It's a film that revisits, what I think is, a dying genre. A group of kid going on big adventure together, for all intents and purposes it reminds me of films like Stand by Me and The Goonies. I think it's a fun but serious film, and even though I've only seen it the once so far it's one of the films I'd be more than glad to own. Personally, it is a ready made classic.
"The world existed to be read. And I read it." - L.S Schwartz, Ruined by Reading

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:05 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

As stupid as some people will think this, for me it's Love Actually (2003). First of all, the music is awesome. We used "The Prime Minister's Love Theme" for curtain call for one of the plays in high school, and I asked my director what it was, because I loved it. I loved it so much that when I saw Love Actually in KMart, I bought it for that single track, even though I had no idea what the movie was about (and the back of the DVD was not very clear about it). Then the acting is great. The movie has a wonderful balance of emotion and seriousness and hilarity. Although it's technically classified as a romantic comedy, I think it's a lot more than that. It follows around multiple people - all of whom are somehow connected - but instead of JUST following young adults who are falling in love with each other, it also follows a middle-aged married couple with kids, a man and his step-son (after the wife and mother has died), the step-son's romantic interest (he's ten, by the way), a newly-married couple, and an old ex-heroin addict pop star trying to renew his fame by doing a Christmas cover of one of his old songs.

The music, acting, and plot work together so well that, though I may have bought this movie for a weird reason, I think buying it was the best movie-buying choice I ever made! It's my favorite movie. (Excluding things like The Lion King, of course. :D)

411 Reviews

Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:11 pm
View Likes
BenFranks says...

Betheny wrote:Super 8, a film directed by J.J. Abrams and produced by Steven Spielberg.

Is Super 8 good? I am eager to see that.

BlueAfrica wrote: for me it's Love Actually (2003)

Literally the best rom-com ever.

522 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 522
Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:54 am
Lavvie says...

To choose one? That's tough. I watch a bunch of films, some good, some really bad. But, if I had to choose only one, I think I'd go with Little Miss Sunshine. I watched it only recently, but it tackles a few social issues with dry humour and good spirit. The actors are pretty good and aren't uber famous like some Jolie or Bloom.

It's really good and if you haven't seen it, I strongly suggest that you do :)

Other than that, I also liked PS I Love You. It's just sweet and sad and completely watch-this-with-four-boxes-of-Kleenex. I still love it. But Little Miss Sunshine still beats it by a long shot.

What is to give light must endure burning. – Viktor Frankl

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:10 am
View Likes
kr1117 says...

Okay, I'm a HUGE fan of movies and films, so I decided to pipe in on this topic.

I can't really say my ALL TIME FAVORITE movie because I don't have one. But one I really enjoy watching is (500) Days of Summer. The music in the film was amazing, along with the acting. Joseph Gordon-Levitt did a very good job at playing his character as did Zooey Deschanel.

Another favorite is Inception. The plot was so astounding and fascinating, making me think beyond anything I have thought of before. It kept me guessing. The music matched the heart-racing plot, keeping up the suspense. Along with everything else, the graphics were by far one of the best I've seen. It was so realistic, like it was all real. Amazing. The actors, Leonardo DiCaprio and of course, my favorite, Joseph Gordon-Levitt did an astounding job along with actress, Ellen Page. Phenomenal movie.

Lastly, but definetely not least, Harry Potter. Ever since the first of the series, Sorcerers Stone, I've been captivated. It brought a whole other world for me to explore. When I saw the final movie, I cried because a) It was over and b) It was over!(: Just loved those movies!!!

The miniseries I love isn't really a movie, technically, but I thought I should include them as well. Band of Brothers and the Pacific. These two miniseries take place during WWII in some of the largest battles of that time such as Iwo Jima in the Pacific or Battle of the Bulge in Band of Brothers. It's sad, but I can't help but love the thought and accuracy put behind them. Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg did an amazing job with them. I recommend them!(:

Well, that's all for now!(:
Last edited by kr1117 on Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Katie ^-^

411 Reviews

Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:00 pm
BenFranks says...

(500) Days of Summer

I like Zooey Deschanel in that movie.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:02 am
Laurence Branson says...

I don't have a favourite film but definitely one of my favourites (which I have seen recently) is the Departed.
Martin Scorcese is just a brilliant director. I understand that it's based on a Japanese production/story but it's just so well written. The amount of twists in the story!
Admittedly, I needed to watch it with subtitles to properly understand it (because it does have a lot of details) but I didn't mind. Definitely must see it.
The worse thing I can be is the same as everybody else.
A.S.

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:42 pm
View Likes
LostMoment says...

I think the best film I have ever seen is Titanic. It is a much loved film and they have some amazing actors! Leonardo DiCaprio is in and he acts the part of Jack really well. I think it's really important having good actors aswell as a great storyline :) I defintley recommend it!
"You don't get another chance... Life is no Nintendo game''(8)

109 Reviews

Reviews: 109
Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:11 pm
MysticalBlood says...

Avatar all the way. The attention to detail is just flawless, the story line is full of suspense and you simply do not want the film to end! Granted, the story line is a bit obvious and so is the ending, but it's enjoyable, funny, dramatic and intriguing all at once. It makes me want to search for planets and moons out there similar to our own. Especially in 3D, this film really lives up to its expectations. You actually forget you're in the cinema and feel as though you're one of the natives/RDA troops. The actors are all perfect, Sam Worthington was excellent but his accent did go a little shaky in places, but he's Australian and so it must be hard. I also love Zoe Saldana as Neytiri, she's so underrated though for this film and she deserves more credit!
Overall, it's an excellent film and although it's lengthy, it's definitely worth it with an action-filled story and beautiful scenery throughout, it's something to watch.
'This isn't funny Dean, the voice says i'm almost out of minutes!' - Castiel
~ Nothing is true, everything is permitted... Live by the Creed... Be Discreet...

696 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 696
Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:47 pm
Audy says...

Ah, Quentin Tarantino.

I love all the movies mentioned, but I wanted to do a shout-out to Bridesmaids, a seriously hilarious film that made the entire audience (and me) laugh so hard when I saw it in theatres. Yes, women can be funny too. But why I love it so much (as opposed to The Hangover) is because it also has a lot of heart.

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:01 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

Hm, that's hard. There are a lot of movies I really love, but at this point, for me, I'll have to say it's Captain America: The First Avenger. Sure, it's a big budget summer blockbuster, and it's not the artiest movie and most people just regard it as "ok" but I really, really liked it. It was so intense, and for having known nothing about Captain America before I entered the theater, I was really, really getting invested in the story and the characters. It was suspenseful, the music was great, there was lots of awesome action, the effects were really good, the acting and costumes/sets were perfect. It was wonderfully written, and the ending made me cry. I watched in twice in theater and now I have it on DVD, and it hasn't gotten old -- I know I'm going to want to keep watching it again and again.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

411 Reviews

Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:08 pm
BenFranks says...

Elinor Brynn wrote:Hm, that's hard. There are a lot of movies I really love, but at this point, for me, I'll have to say it's Captain America: The First Avenger. Sure, it's a big budget summer blockbuster, and it's not the artiest movie and most people just regard it as "ok" but I really, really liked it. It was so intense, and for having known nothing about Captain America before I entered the theater, I was really, really getting invested in the story and the characters. It was suspenseful, the music was great, there was lots of awesome action, the effects were really good, the acting and costumes/sets were perfect. It was wonderfully written, and the ending made me cry. I watched in twice in theater and now I have it on DVD, and it hasn't gotten old -- I know I'm going to want to keep watching it again and again.

Haha, I can't say this film had quite the same effect on me! I left the cinema heartily disappointed.

279 Reviews

Reviews: 279
Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:12 pm
View Likes
MasterGrieves says...

Breakfast At Tiffany's. I've always had a soft-spot for Audrey Hepburn.
The Nation of Ulysses Must Prevail!

If you don't like Mikko, you better friggin' die.

The power of Robert Smith compels you!

Adam + Lisa ♥

When you greet a stranger look at his shoes.
Keep your money in your shoes.

I was 567ajt

249 Reviews

Reviews: 249
Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:59 pm
murtuza says...

When I think of favourite movies, there's always a bunch that come to mind. :D

Christoper Nolan's Batman movies, Memento and Inception are great. There's so much of talent that this director has.

I like the Transformers series particularly because of the Special effects. It's gripping to watch such life-like graphics and action seamlessly meld together to form a thrilling scene. Some might dislike the series for the shallow dialogue and plot, but despite these flaws, it's still an entertaining watch. :)

My love for animated films are endless. Toy Story (1,2 and 3), Monsters Inc., Kung Fu Panda (2), How To Train Your Dragon, Cars, Wall-E (definitely not to be missed), The Incredibles, Tangled, Ratatouille, Up, Lion King, Shrek (1,2,3 and 4) and plenty of others which I'm sure I've missed.

Other movies I've enjoyed watching were P.S. I Love You, A Lot Like Love, The Spiderman series, the Ironman series, The King's Speech, the Harry Potter movies, I Am Sam, Real Steel, Fast and Furious (the series), 127 Hours, The Matrix series, Mr. And Mrs. Smith, Grease, The Terminal, The Departed, Pulp Fiction, Shutter Island, Catch Me If You Can, The rebooted James Bond films, Wanted and many many many many more.

This is quite a long list in itself, and I'm sorry for pointing out more than just one favourite film. I'm sure I've missed out some pretty iconic ones. I've jotted down only the ones that come to mind at the moment. But I know that eventually, as time passes, there'll be more movies that I'll love as much. ;)
Last edited by murtuza on Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not about the weight of what's spoken.
It's about being heard.

The only person I know for certain I am better than is the person I used to be.
— CandyWizard