z

Young Writers Society

The Knife of Never Letting Go

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:20 am
shiney1 says...

Spoiler! :
My reviews will not tell you most of the story details or the ending, so if you want to read the book for yourself you can enjoy it.

Spoiler! :

This book was one of the best I have read so far.

Book Type: Fiction, Chapter book

Point of View: Third person

Book Length: A bit over medium

Attention Grabber: 9/10

Read Satisfaction: 10/10

The main character is Todd Hewitt, who is thirteen years old at the time. He lives in Prentisstown, and is the only boy among the town of men, for all of the women were wiped out in an alien attack. In the same attack, all of the men got infected with some sort of bug called the Noise, which makes every single thought of any man heard as if he were speaking them. The men have no control over this whatsoever, and all of the animals are infected too. So therefore, there is NO quiet place in the land.
Until Todd finds one, that is.
Then Todd's world turns upside down, and he must flee his menfolk to stay alive, along with his dog Manchee. Along the way, he makes a huge discovery, and the adventure begins.

This book was very hard to put down, and the dialect and personality of Todd was entertaining. There is a good chunk of action, suspense, sadness, shock, and relief. There was a bit of violence, for it is a world full of just MEN (XD).
But it added to the book, and I feel it was well-written.

So overall, I would definitely recommend this book.

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ shiney1 Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

"If you ever have a problem don't say 'Hey God I have a big problem.' Rather 'Hey Problem... I have a big God and it's all going to be okay."

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:28 am
View Likes
emoticon220 says...

I LOVE this book series!!!! One little thing...The noise disease was already on the planet and they said that it was the disease that killed the women, not aliens. theyre aliens to the planet as the world was over populated.
O thin men of Haddam,/Why do you imagine golden birds?/Do you not see how the blackbird/Walks around the feet/Of the women about you?
-Wallace Stevens

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:48 pm
View Likes
lele253isme says...

I agree, this book is beautifully written, I loved reading it!! The imagery in this book is, just plain awesome!!!

140 Reviews

Reviews: 140
Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:56 pm
View Likes
XxMattxX says...

The whole series is wonderful. But the ending stinks like booty.
Good review!

-Jojo
Solvalery/GeeLyria Fans
Link

Random avatar

Reviews: 53
Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:16 pm
Preachergirl18 says...

:D My sister read read that book she said it was good 8) I have not read it yet but I will not because I really don' want to right now

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:37 am
View Likes
Rydia says...

Sounds like a really good read, sort of another take on the whole virus invasion thing but with aliens and stuff thrown in? I might have to check it out. So, uh... thanks for writing the review! If I can get my hands on a copy for little enough, I'll stop by here to add my own thoughts.

I am a little dubious about the lack of female characters though. It's nice having a girl there who you can relate to or roll your eyes at for being crap when all the men are getting everything done. I do tend to favour male characters normally but the complete absence of females... meh. It sounds too interesting to pass it over based just on that.

Thanks again!
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:11 pm
View Likes
RedBird says...

Great review of an excellent book! It's been a few years since I read it (I think I was twelve), and I remember having an intense love/hate relationship with it. On the one hand, it was excellently written and had an amazing plot, but on the other hand, it also really freaked me out. The psychological terror of the Noise and the violence that Todd witnesses, not so much in this book, but in the sequels, really frightened me. And yet, I couldn't stop reading.
Anyway, I'll stop rambling on about myself. Again, good review, really informative for someone who hasn't read the books, I think!
And remember...A portkey can be any sort of harmless object...A football...or a dolphin.
~Snape, AVPM

"You are the egg, you are the chrysalis, you are the progeny. You are the rot that falls from stars."
~Will Henry, on Typhoeus magnificum

If I'm going to burn, it might as well be bright.
— Frank Zhang