z

Young Writers Society

World War Z

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:59 am
tr3x says...

Too often, genres define a novel. Authors think that a fantasy book has to have fairies/trolls/dwarves/demons/angels/vampires or werewolves, and rather than writing something fresh, produce a carbon copy of what is expected from the fantasy genre.
But once in a while, you come across a book that breaks the borders. World War Z by Max Brooks is one such book. It combines the horror genre with journalistic accounts and gut wrenching emotion to produce something quite remarkable. The whole title is World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War. When I first picked it up, I thought great, another post-apocalyptic horror novel. This is gonna be like reading Resident Evil as a book. But then I started it, and after the first chapter, I was hooked.
What makes this book great is that it explores it's world. It reads as a set of interviews; each chapter begins with the narrator meeting with an interviewee who then recounts his story to us. More than anything else, this book is realistic. Good people die, bad people live. The characters range from a proud Chinese admiral, to a Texan bounty hunter to a military dog handler and every type of person in between. Not all of them are pleasant, not all their stories end well.
So the basic setting is this: A mysterious illness breaks out in parts of China and South-East Asia. Even as the Chinese government struggles to maintain control, refugees are fleeing everywhere, carrying the virus with them. It is a strange virus; it puts the infected into a coma, slowly shutting down their vital functions before re-animating them as bloodthirsty zombies who are ravenous for human flesh. Within months the virus has spread around the world, and a year later 2/3rds of the world's population has been infected. The struggling world governments manage to fight back in their darkest hour, and drive out the zombie menace if not totally abolish it. And now, twelve years later, the survivors tell their tales.

***Spoilers begin***
The stories range from how an apartheid war criminal saved the world with a cold, calculating, heartless plan, to how a blind man single handedly took on the zombie threat as Japan burned, to how the Captain of the last Chinese Navy Warship destroyed his government to save his civilization. We hear about an unscrupulous businessman flogging false hope, and how a US Army Marine watched his government fail, yet followed them into certain death. We hear about Radio Free Earth, an ocean liner giving people comfort even as they are ripped to shreds by their undead families, and we hear about a French corporals last stand, the living against the dead in the sewers of Paris. We hear as he screams his last words, "On ne passe pas!" The last astronauts of the International Space Station tell us how they survive to maintain the satellite network essential for to the people down on Earth despite no hope of escape.

Max Brooks explores everything from government ineptitude to the psychology of the last man on Earth.
If this book taught me anything it's this:
Always be prepared.
Last edited by tr3x on Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
A lie can run around the world before the truth has got its boots on.
- Terry Pratchett

Si non confectus, non recifiat - If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

201 Reviews

Reviews: 201
Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:08 am
peanut19 says...

After reading this I am definitely going to start World War Z. I have it but haven't really looked at it much. My dad read it and loved it. Hopefully it'll cure my dystopian fever.
~peanut~
There is a light in you, a Vision in the making with sorrow enough to extinguish the stars. I can help you.
~And The Light Fades

The people down here are our zombies, who should be dead or not exist but do.
~Away From What We Started

P.S Got YWS?

198 Reviews

Reviews: 198
Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:22 am
inkwell says...

I read this a few years ago and loved it as well. A very unique reading experience that I actually think would work much better as a film, but still an interesting and engrossing read. I think your review is pretty fair.

I would advise cutting the link if that's an illegal download.
"The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is comprehensible." — Einstein

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:27 am
View Likes
tr3x says...

Yeah, I thought it would make a great movie too. I don't think that's an illegal download, but I'll remove it anyway. Linking to content is always a risk. A 2 minute google search would bring that up in any case.
A lie can run around the world before the truth has got its boots on.
- Terry Pratchett

Si non confectus, non recifiat - If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:38 am
Lava says...

Interesting! I would love to find it at some store.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:26 pm
Kale says...

I thought great, another post-apocalyptic horror novel

You need to set off the thought somehow, otherwise it reads as a run-on, which can confuse your readers. Italics (Great, another...) or quotation marks ("Great, another...") are common.

it explores it's world

Should be "its". "It's" is a contraction for "it is".

Also, you might consider adding a space between paragraphs. Right now, all the paragraphs are mushed together, which makes for a not very inviting first impression. If you go into the Edit screen, scroll down to near the bottom where the Special Formatting options are located. Picking Story should add an extra space in between paragraphs.

Otherwise, pretty good review overall. You might want to mention that the interviewer is a single person throughout the book, and that it's a spiritual sequel to The Zombie Survival Guide by the same author.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

I exist as I am, that is enough
— Walt Whitman