z

Young Writers Society

OK, so I'm in the market for opportunity...

86 Reviews

Reviews: 86
Sat May 14, 2011 11:30 pm
charcoalspacewolfman says...

So I like stories with monsters, or at least the concept thereof. So I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions.
And while I did like "The Village" I don't normally like monster stories where the monster turns out to not exist. It's a bit of a letdown.
HMS Tragedy?! We should-we should have known!!!

90 Reviews

Reviews: 90
Sun May 15, 2011 7:02 am
freewritersavvy says...

What do you classify as a monster?
http://www.isiseiyr.com
~When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world. ~ George Carver

Writing...they claim it is a dangerous occupation... 'they' have no idea!

86 Reviews

Reviews: 86
Sun May 15, 2011 9:27 pm
charcoalspacewolfman says...

Hmm, mostly anything that isn't a person or a regular animal. Like maybe legendary creatures like the Loch Ness Monster or Chupacabra or something. Human transformation is good, too.
Not something with "scientific" basis, like Meg or Jurassic Park or something that's tied into games or something.
I hope that's a wide enough range...
HMS Tragedy?! We should-we should have known!!!

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Mon May 16, 2011 3:46 am
View Likes
RedBird says...

I would highly recommend the Monstrumologist series...it's full of delightfully horrific monsters, and is written in a beautiful Dickensian style. The first book is just called "The Monstrumologist" and the second is "The Curse of the Wendigo." I believe that the third book comes out in October.
And remember...A portkey can be any sort of harmless object...A football...or a dolphin.
~Snape, AVPM

"You are the egg, you are the chrysalis, you are the progeny. You are the rot that falls from stars."
~Will Henry, on Typhoeus magnificum

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:21 am
PlasticStarlight says...

Though "The Monstrumnologist" would be my first recommendation as well, another one you could look into is "The Walking Dead." Now I don't know how you feel about graphic novels ( and these ARE graphic) but if you want monsters, this is where to go.

Yes, it's about zombies, but we're not talking any of this " Resident Evil", " Rob Zombie Presents: a christmas at home" sort of garbage. No, sir.

"The Walking Dead' is more so about what happens to people in extreme situations. It also really explores the type of things we really take for granted but should hold dear, and what someone would be willing to do to obtain those things. Its horrifically alligorical , you might say.

There is also anything by H.P.Lovecraft, godfather of the horror genre. His short stories didn't effect me at first, but then I went to bed. You know those wee hours in the morning, when you're brain starts to think in great detail about what giant caverns full of once humans farmed and harvested for the commestible delight of an eccentric rich man would look like.
And who can overlook Dear Cthulu?
Lovecraft is a good place to go if you want monsters.
Who are we, but the stories we tell.

Someday, everything is going to go right for you, and it will be so wonderful you won't even know what to do.
— Hannelore Ellicott-Chatham, Questionable Content