z

Young Writers Society

Between Shades of Gray

229 Reviews

Reviews: 229
Wed May 11, 2011 7:57 pm
AmeliaCogin says...

It is very rare to find a book which occupies your thoughs all day, every day. A book which is so captivating, it transports you, takes you on a journey, and you never, ever want that journey to end. A book in which you connect so deeply with the main character, you cry for her, sympathise with her.

I believe I have found the rarest gem of them all.

Between Shades of Gray is a first-person narrative. Lina, a fifteen year-old-girl, is taken from her home in war-time Lithuania with her mother and brother. Lina's family is seperated from her father, and the hope of seeing him alive once again spurrs her on, envigorates her to keep living. It is that same hope, aswell as first love, which keeps Lina alive and sane amidst death and violence.

This book was wonderful. Simply wonderful. It hasn't a flaw. It has moved me in a way I didn't know a book could. I would recommend it to anyone. It was magnificent. The author is Ruta Sepetys. Check it out!

~ Amelia

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:42 pm
JustMeNathalie says...

I totally agree! I just read Between Shades of Gray and I thought it was amazing. It's such a great book.

~JustMe
I don't obsess.

I think.

Intensely.

-----

Excuse me, I have work to do. Evil plots don't make themselves.

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:16 pm
TheButtonWorks says...

Oh. Your review alone is quite enough to make me add this to my reading list.

This reminds me of another, quite different story I've read - Nicholas and Alexandra. I don't remember the author's name, but it was a story about the last royal family of Russia. And how the Tsarevich's (the prince's) illness was connected to the Russian Revolution. It's the 'other side' of History, the stuff we aren't taught.

This novel you speak of - Between Shades of Grey - is a historical family novel, isn't it? Or is it a historical romance? It doesn't matter. I'm a sucker for both genres. :D
Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said, "Goodbye!" and you were like "NO WAY." and then I was all, "We pretended we were going to murder you."
That was great.

Reviews: 2
Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:58 am
jellyfox says...

Is this in any relation to that pile of filth Fifty Shades of Gray?
Insanity keeps me from losing my mind.
"Ghosts are real, and monsters are real, too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win."
-Stephen King

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:56 pm
Blues says...

...faaaar from it. xD

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:58 am
AlfredSymon says...

Oooh. This seems very interesting. Is it internationally published already?
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
— Mark Twain