z

Young Writers Society

Books??? I need some....

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:16 am
HostofHorus says...

Hello fellow YWS'ers ( :smt001 )

I am in the need for some new books, and I'm really open to anything. I'm 15, but like I said, I don't care what it is as long as it is well written and good, and yeah.... Here are some books on my favorites shelf if that helps!

The Ranger's Apprentice Series - John Flannagan (If you haven't read these.... Do, they are amazing!)
The Alex Rider Series - Anthony Horowitz (Got me into reading)
The Percy Jackson Series - Rick Riordan (currently reading "The Lost Hero" By Riordan)
The Hunger Games Trilogy - Suzanne Collins (Obviously incredible books...)
Edgar Allen Poe (I like his style, including his short stories and his poems.)
Sir. Arthur Conan Doyle (Love Sherlock Holmes, love the short stories, love the mysteries and trying to figure it out on my own. :) )
Pygmalion - George Bernard Shaw (If you have some stories like this, I'd be really open to them. I love the message, and the story and it was easy to read unlike a lot of plays... I don't like when authors throw in too many words and jumble things up, and I think this was perfect. One of my favorites!)
To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee (Wish she would have written more... This book is absolutely amazing...)

And yeah, thats about it on my favorites shelf, but I have my whole wall filled with books, these are just the one's that had something special about them to make it on that one shelf! Thanks in advance for any replies! :o
HostofHorus Author, Poet, Dreamer, and Expressionist.
http://JRSStories.com
Stories Poems © As of January 1st 2014

Need a review? Feel free to ask me! :)

Random avatar

Reviews: 33
Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:10 am
MoonlightAssassin says...

Well, I'm not sure if you've read these or not but these are my two personal favorite series. ^_^

Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
&
The Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare.

~ Moonlight
Come visit the ReviewIn'!
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic75873.html

lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

84 Reviews

Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:19 am
HostofHorus says...

Yeah, I've read the Harry Potter books, I just don't love them all that much, I think the movies kind of ruined them for me. They are good, and I don't have anything against them I just don't think they are my favorite. As for The Mortal Instruments, I have "The City of Bones" on my shelf, and I guess I should probably pick it up and read it. I've heard nothing but good things about it, but I don't know, they just haven't ever looked very appealing to me. I'll have to give them a try though! :) Any others peeps?

-HostofHorus
Last edited by HostofHorus on Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Random avatar

Reviews: 8
Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:10 pm
ShadowChic says...

Heya, Shadow here.

Have you read The Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons and The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown? There really good.
What about Eragon? You either like it or not and I really do! If you like it try Eldest (it's not as good but worth reading) and then Brisngr (I might have spelt that wrong).
That's it that I read that you might like.
Hope that helps. Shadow.

120 Reviews

Reviews: 120
Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:19 pm
Emmzziee says...

Goodnight Mister Tom :)
And I love any of the non-fiction by Torey Hayden Xx
I want to play a game.

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:34 pm
Master_Yoda says...

ShadowChic wrote: Brisngr (I might have spelt that wrong).

No you spelled it right Christopher Paolini spelled it wrong. ;)

I would recommend The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud. Also Sabriel by Garth Nix.
#TNT

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
-- Robert Frost

I review your reviews: viewtopic.php?f=188&t=94522

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:41 am
DaSpetsnaz says...

I love the Rangers Apprentice series. The books are so good, and I'm waiting extremely anxiously for the last book to come out in April. I'm sad that he's decided to end the series, but I guess that's what he had to do. I mean, he has written ten books. I guess I'll have to re-read the books over. *Sigh* Oh well.
"Is this the real life, or is this just fantasy? Caught in a landslide, no escape from reality."

-Queen

84 Reviews

Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:04 am
View Likes
HostofHorus says...

Hmmm, thanks so far everyone! I'll tell you though, I absolutely hated Eragon.... I don't know, it seemed way too boring, especially to read that much for one little battle scene thing that might actually be interesting, and it seemed like every chapter or so he fell and broke his arm or something.... So I don't know, I just didn't like. But again, thanks for the suggestions!

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:16 pm
Stori says...

Pendragon by D.J. MacHale is worth reading. There are ten books, I'm fairly sure, each dealing with a different territory.

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:08 pm
jujubean05 says...

I just got done reading The Dark Divine it was really good. I couldn't put it down. Also, Shiver and Linger. Hush, Hush was very good as well. Need more books PW me and I'll give you more suggestions. :smt003
If life gives you lemons.................make beef stew!!!
If someone is taller than you............stand on something so you can punch them! lol thats an inside joke so if you don't get sorry.

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:09 pm
jcipriano1 says...

I'm not sure if it is your style of book or not, 2001 a space odyssey. Some other great books are The war of the worlds, 20,000 leagues under the sea, Of mice and men, Dracula, Animal farm, and Around the world in eighty days.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" -Albert Einstien

84 Reviews

Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:31 am
HostofHorus says...

Hmm, so I finished "The Lost Hero," loved it.... Am reading both "The Red Pyramid" (another Riordan masterpiece, seriously I highly reccomend this one. His characterization is incredible.) and yes, finally, "Of Mice and men." I'm still in need of some others to add to the que though! Don't know what I think about the pendragon series, not my favorite though. I will say if there are some books out there that deal with the same stuff that Riordan writes about I'd love them. So thanks for the suggestions everyone!!!

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:12 pm
AlyKat says...

If you like all of those you should try cryptid hunters and the second one Tentacles.
There's a lot of action and im sure you'd love it =)
Also try Peak. It's about how a boy makes a journey up Mt. Everest and you not only would love the action you can get a whole new vocabulary out of it =)! All of the books are by Roland Smith
Oompa Loompa something something something :)

84 Reviews

Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:26 am
HostofHorus says...

Woah, Cryptid Hunters has a sequel?????!!!! I loved that book when I read it a while back! Unforunately the only one I could really take by Roland Smith, but I'll be sure to go get the sequel. Thanks so much Aly!

Random avatar

Reviews: 142
Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:50 pm
lele253isme says...

I totally love most of the books you have read. I suggest the Meghan Whalen Turner books. They are so in your genre.

Life is a banana peel and I am the fool who dared to tread on it.
— looseleaf