z

Young Writers Society

The Infernal Devices: CLockwork Angel

70 Reviews

Reviews: 70
Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:44 pm
Shadowhunter14 says...

this is the start of a prequel series to The Mortal Instruments, Clockwork Angel being the first book.
I really liked The Mortal Instruments and felt like Clockwork Angel didn't disappoint. Her whole setting was spot on, I totally imagined Victorian England and their accents and their clothes and everything very vividly. You totally do not have to have read MI to read ID - CA (Clockwork Angel) explains everything to new readers, more than MI did.
The main critcism for this book was that it was too similar to the MI series. I thought that it was similar, but different enough to be considered a good book on its own. The plot took different turns and the characters were likeable in their own way. I actually connected with Tessa more than I did with Clary. I liked Tessa, she was dry, clever and witty, and stood up for herself at every opportunity. I think that this made her very ahead of her time. Will was like Jace and then not like Jace. They shared the same wit, but Jace had a mostly good temperament whereas Will was a more confusing character. Jessamine was beautiful like Isabelle but more prissy. Jem to me was sort of a mix of Alec and Simon - I really liked Jem, he was very sweet and nice and I felt so bad for him when you found out about his...err, problem. (trying not to spoil the story!!)
ANYWAy what did you guys think? Personally, I loved this book and can't wait for Clockwork Prince (apparently, Jem is on the cover) which comes out, erm...next year. Looking forward to hearing from everyone! :D

"Be yourself" is not advice. It's an existential crisis waiting to happen.
— Hank Green