Young Writers Society

The Greatest Novella - Anthem

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:51 pm
mystiquevander says...

Title: Anthem

Author: Ayn Rand

Summary: Anthem is written as the diary of Equality 7-2521, a young man living in a future in which people have lost all knowledge of individualism, to the point of not even knowing words like "I" or "mine." Everyone lives and works in collective groups, with all aspects of daily life dictated by "councils" -- the Council of Vocations, the Council of Scholars, etc. His curiosity leads him to forbidden discoveries and eventually to exile, where he makes the greatest discovery of all.
[Quoted from www.noblesoul.com]

REVIEW:
Wow. All I have to say is....
Wow.
I first read this book many years ago when I started high school, and I was thoroughly intrigued, amazed and dumbfounded by Ayn Rand's indescribable talent. She writes more than two-thirds of this entire novella in first person...but without using 'I', 'Me', 'Mine', or other typical first person pronouns! That in itself is quite the feat and I applaud the late Ayn Rand for her accomplishment!
It's really quite the intriguing story and the government that is portrayed in it really reminds me of the same kind of communist government you could find in Brave New World or 1984. I am highly impressed by the main character development and the way she wrote to keep you hanging on the edge of your seat. This novella, in my opinion, really puts an enormous value on human individuality that made me really appreciate the ability to be who I am.

If you haven't read 'Anthem' and don't mind being a little confused and having to figure things out as you read, then I highly suggest this novella. I have ultimately fallen in love with it. Really, really, really well thought out.

Two thumbs up to Ayn Rand!
'Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia' - E.L. Doctorow.

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:56 am
Blift says...

That story sounds sick but I wonder how she narrated it using first person without using the typical uses.

I might read that one day, if I ever have the time... Probably not. But gz anyway
:pirate3:

Tracy Beaker!!!

562 Reviews

Reviews: 562
Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:05 pm
Button says...

That book sounds awesome! I'm a huge fan of 1984 and dystopian novels in general, so definitely sounds like my cup of tea. Thanks for giving us the heads up :)

-Coral-

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:55 am
mystiquevander says...

Yeah! At least I interested a few people to hopefully read it - I promise you won't be let down! ;) Heh
'Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia' - E.L. Doctorow.

Bananas
— looseleaf