z

Young Writers Society

The Alchemyst

165 Reviews

Reviews: 165
Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:57 am
Miyakko says...

This is my first book review on Michael Scott's 'The Alchemyst', enjoy...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do you believe in immortals? Nicholas Flamel & his wife, Perenelle were born in the 14th century. Nicholas is said to be one of the greatest Alchemists of all time. It is said that Nicholas & Perenelle discovered the secret to immortality.

Nicholas & Perenelle are living in San Francisco & own a small bookshop, where Josh Newman works. Josh’s twin sister, Sophie works across the road, in a small café, when she witnesses an attack on the bookshop where her brother works.
Dr. John Dee & his two Golems have attacked the shop to steal a book called the Codex. The Codex contains the secret to eternal life - & the power to destroy humankind & the world – which is what John Dee plans to do.
When John Dee finally gets his hands on the book, Josh interferes & accidentally tears the last two pages of the book out. John Dee doesn’t notice & escapes with the book & Nicholas’ wife, Perenelle. Now, with the book in the wrong hands, the world is in great danger.

The only ones who can save it are Sophie & Josh, the twins of the prophecy. They are about to enter a world of magic & mayhem, a world so dangerous they could be killed… or worse.

An absolutely exciting fantasy novel, filled with magic from the first few pages. I think it really defines the genre of fantasy. Something that I find really interesting not only in The Alchemyst but in the entire series so far, is that almost every immortal in the series, was once a real person, making it very interesting. It’s a great play on these historic figures.
Also, all the Elders in the series are from myths & legends; Greek mythology, Egyptian mythology & so on. This makes it even more interesting to see how they interact with others in a modern world & the relationship one Elder has with another – some will surprise you. Michael Scott, the author is very clever.

The Irish Independent describes it with ‘Cracking characters, sizzling action scenes; an excellent read’. Totally agreeing with all this, I think it is the ultimate fantasy novel. A fantastic way to spend 369 pages.

199 Reviews

Reviews: 199
Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:30 am
Apple says...

LOVED THAT BOOK!

It was like the best. I read it when I was on a road trip. Sure I got sick a lot of times because I can't read whilst being in a car, but I managed because it was just to good! You know, they're thinking of making it a movie.
I spy!

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:55 am
watchmeburn says...

Hi Redleaf, I loved our review/ summary. It is gripping and makes people curious about the book while not giving too much away!
I myself have read the 'The Alchemyst' by Michael Scott and fell in love the fantasy and adventure. I would strongly encourage you to do a similar review/ summary on the next 3 books in the series; The Magician, The Sorceress and 'The Necromancer. I would also ask to not to give too much away about the other books and maybe write a footnote that this should not be read unless the viewer has read the proceeding books.
Thanx for a great review. LOVE THE BOOKS
watchmeburn
"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."

165 Reviews

Reviews: 165
Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:13 pm
Miyakko says...

Apple, in response to your comment, they are making the Alchemyst into a movie. It is set to be released by 2012. Some people have started calling it the next Harry Potter. I'm sure it'll be an amazing movie so keep your ears open for any release dates.

522 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 522
Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:05 am
Lavvie says...

I've read the first 3 in the series :) They ARE amazing :P

Lavvi

What is to give light must endure burning. – Viktor Frankl

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:08 pm
RedBird says...

I LOVE THESE BOOKS!

The first three were amazing, and I read them all in about three days, and while the fourth wasn't as good, it was still worth the read. The mythologies that the author researched are so extensive and the characterizations are so great that this series kind of took over my interest in Harry Potter. These are better, in my humble opinion.
And remember...A portkey can be any sort of harmless object...A football...or a dolphin.
~Snape, AVPM

"You are the egg, you are the chrysalis, you are the progeny. You are the rot that falls from stars."
~Will Henry, on Typhoeus magnificum

We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
— T.S. Eliot