z

Young Writers Society

Mockingjay/The Hunger Games Trilogy

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:52 am
HostofHorus says...

SPOILERS!!!!! IF YOU HAVE NOT READ BOOK DO NOT READ ANY OF THE CONTENT BY ME OR OTHER USERS ON THIS TOPIC!!!

Alright, I haven't been on this website in forever. I just finished Mockingjay, and I have to say that putting aside, what to me, was the boringness of the first two acts of the book, the last act was truly a masterpiece. In my opinion anyways. It was indeed one of the saddest books I have ever read, however all the lessons that can be pulled out of what Mrs. Collins does in just the last act alone, is what makes the book, and the series so worthwhile. I post this because I am really wanting to start a discussion with people on the book, and here what other peoples thoughts on it are. Unfortunately, none of my friends have finished, or they haven't even got the book yet, so it is kind of difficult for me to do this. Anyways, let me know your thoughts on the book, as well as the lessons you pulled from it, I'm very interested to hear them.

-HostofHorus
Last edited by HostofHorus on Sat May 07, 2011 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Fri May 06, 2011 4:49 pm
RedBird says...

I have to say that, while I enjoyed the series overall, Mockingjay came as something of a disappointment. It was good, don't get me wrong, and the plot was full of the same twists that I had come to love and expect, but, I'm sorry, the ending was just...just...wrong. It was rushed, especially in regards to the Peeta-Gale-Katniss triangle, and left me feeling kind of annoyed with most of the characters.

Okay, so there were some things that really bugged me about the ending, specifically. Prim's death, while it made sense, bothered me more than I care to admit. The violence that led up to this event just seemed so useless and needless that I just couldn't accept it in the context of the story. I understand WHY Collins put it in, but past a certain point, such violence just makes it hard for me to read a book.

I was also annoyed that Haymitch didn't play a bigger part in the climax of the series. Yes, I got the whole Hunger Games/Rebellion crossover, but after Collins spent so much time building his character up in Catching Fire, he just kind of took a back seat in Mockingjay.
And remember...A portkey can be any sort of harmless object...A football...or a dolphin.
~Snape, AVPM

"You are the egg, you are the chrysalis, you are the progeny. You are the rot that falls from stars."
~Will Henry, on Typhoeus magnificum

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Sat May 07, 2011 9:28 pm
HostofHorus says...

Hmmm.... The Haymitch thing is interesting. I have to say I agree with you there. The love triangle I didn't care so much about because I really didn't feel like that is what the books were meant to be about.... I felt like that was probably forced upon her by her publishers. As for Prim, I agree it was maybe disturbing, and I was indeed very sad when she died. However as much as I ponder it, I feel it had to happen for the series to mean what it did. It was all in connection with WWII and was kind of saying this could happen again, and it will if the world continues the way it is. I thought it was a good ending, but that was my opinion....
HostofHorus Author, Poet, Dreamer, and Expressionist.
http://JRSStories.com
Stories Poems © As of January 1st 2014

Need a review? Feel free to ask me! :)

199 Reviews

Reviews: 199
Wed May 11, 2011 8:29 pm
Apple says...

I actually think the first book was the only one that I actually enjoyed. The other two kind of just bored me and I wasn't as stuck to them as the first.
I spy!

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Tue May 24, 2011 5:12 pm
lunahlove says...

I was enthralled with the book. If there's anything I've learned from other quality fantasy novels (read: Harry Potter) it's that the best "battle" scenes have lots of violence, and most of it will come off as unnecessary. It is, in my opinion, an extremely accurate portrayal of real battles. People die left and right.

I absolutely loved the book, in particular the scenes just after Prim's death. Katniss came off, quite convincingly, as in a very dark, very disconnected haze of reality and I wanted to cry.

I felt like the love triangle had been led up to quite sufficiently. After the first two books, I knew it was only a matter of time before it came to boil, so I accepted and embraced that aspect of the plot and, I have to be quite honest, I was really interested in the results, especially because up to that point I genuinely had no idea who she would pick. The first have really convinced me it would be Gale. Admittedly, in hindsight it was obviously not, but I was still awed by the reason she said she picked Peeta.

The writing was fast-paced and really emotionally charged, and the epilogue makes me cry every time I read it. I honestly don't understand how anyone could not have enjoyed this book - it was the best one.
I am awesome don't even deny it
I love Harry Potter more than you.

If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more.
— Jane Austen