Young Writers Society

Books you loved more than the movie...

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:24 pm
View Likes
bancheegal says...

Hello!

I love to read books, but I often find I am behind on reading sometimes. I realize it when a movie comes out and it says it's based on a book/novel, but I never heard of it. So of course I run out, borrow the book from the library and then read it.

So, please everyone. Let me know of a time where you read the book BEFORE the movie, what book/movie it was and which version you liked more...

The example I'll use is this:
Timeline by Michael Crichton. It was an awesome book (He's the guy who wrote Jurassic Park, et al.) but the movie was HORRENDOUS! The movie didn't even have the same theme as the book and the relationship of the characters are completely skewed....

YOUR TURN!

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:21 pm
View Likes
midnightread says...

The fifth Harry Potter.
I know that it is similar but in the film they have missed bits out, like Ron and Hermonie being prefects. But I suppose that the book is rather thick and you can't fit it all into a film that isn't to long.
The film is good but the book is better, same as every book that has been turned into a film.

Who's next? :elephant:
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
A wise man does not need advice and a fool won't take it.

Growing old is mandatory,
Growing up is optional.

Rugby is a thugs game played by gentle men,
Football is a gentleman's game played by thugs.

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:12 pm
Lolo96 says...

Hi! For me it was mostly Harry Potter, because the movies missed so many events which happened in the books

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:42 pm
Stori says...

The Secret of NIMH.

This story is by Patrick C. O'Brien. Bascially the
plot is about a farm community of rats, mice and other animals.

Unfortunately the folks at MGM thought they had to bring in
a magic necklace and a villain who was supposed to be dead: Jenner.

267 Reviews

Reviews: 267
Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:28 pm
Nike says...

My pick is "Ghost Writer," I love the book! But the movie misses alot! That book is so amazing. I love Harry Potter too but I didn't read the books that much, so I don't know if it was better than the movie.
“There is no need to call me Sir, Professor.”

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:29 pm
View Likes
MagnusBane says...

The Series of Unfortunate Events. They killed it when they made the movie.
“Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” Anton Chekhov

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:31 pm
View Likes
AspiringAuthorA..M. says...

Jurassic Park, a visually revolutionary movie, but the book is just so much more mesmerizing and deep.
"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
-John 11:25-26

482 Reviews

Reviews: 482
Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:49 pm
Ranger Hawk says...

magnusbanefan13 wrote:The Series of Unfortunate Events. They killed it when they made the movie.

Agreed! :(

I'd have to say Percy Jackson, even though I liked the guy, the movie was...not great. Also Eragon. Ugh.
There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people:
psychopaths and mystery writers.

I'm the kind that pays better.
~Rick Castle

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:48 pm
View Likes
Critiq says...

All of them.
Spoiler! :
I like people thinking that I have something so scandalous to say that I put it in spoiler tags, and I'm sorry that because of this selfish desire you were roped into reading this for not real lasting value.

193 Reviews

Reviews: 193
Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:15 pm
View Likes
AngerManagement says...

Every single book i have ever read that has been made into a movie.
Dont tell me the moon is shining, show me the glint of light on broken glass.

Anton Chekov

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:24 pm
View Likes
PhoenixBishop says...

The fifth Harry Potter movie. Considering that was my favorite of the series, I was very disappointed.
This is one little planet in one tiny solar system in a galaxy that’s barely out of its diapers. I’m old, Dean. Very old. So I invite you to contemplate how insignificant I find you.

Death~

446 Reviews

Reviews: 446
Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:34 pm
View Likes
Yuriiko says...

the best-selling novel. "DEAR JOHN" it's better actually than the movie. It's more interesting and informative about the love between two persons falling in love than of the book.. wahahahah! but the movie's nice, anyway but still, I love the book! :D
"Life is a poem keep it in the present tense." -Sherrel Wigal

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Tue May 11, 2010 12:26 am
View Likes
Hydey says...

Lonesome Dove! My absolute favorite novel ever. Believe it or not, I read the entire series before taking to the television screen, award winning or not. I believe Robert Duvall played an excellent Augustus McCrae, but the Comanche villain, Blue Duck, was just not the same in the movie than he was in the book. :smt003
“Take one fresh and tender kiss
Add one stolen night of bliss
One girl, one boy, some grief,
some joy Memories are made of this.”
Johnny Cash

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Wed May 12, 2010 9:53 am
View Likes
Kanade says...

magnusbanefan13 wrote:The Series of Unfortunate Events. They killed it when they made the movie.

Absolutely agree with that.
Also, yes, Harry Potter movies.. The first two very pretty good, but then it lost its magic and went downhill.

Nicholas Sparks' two books "A Walk To Remember" and "The Notebook". I was under a rather deep impression when read those two, and was disappointed when saw the actual movies.

I can't say their movie adaptation were bad. They just lack... real emotion, and are more Hollywood-ized.

150 Reviews

Reviews: 150
Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:28 am
View Likes
Ross says...

I'm gonna go out on a branch here and say Harper Lee's "To Kill a Mockingbird".

Yes, I am fully aware the movie is a classic. But I watched the movie when I was 7. I left in the middle of the movie because I didn't understand a thing. In eighth grade, I read "To Kill a Mockingbird", fell in love with it, rented the movie and loved it. But I do think this is one of those "movies-where-you-have-to-read-the-book-beforehand". And for some reason that annoys me.

And come on, as sexy as Robert Duvall was as Boo, he didn't quite make the cut for me. The child actress who plays Scout was very good. Gregory Peck was second for me.

My two cents! I take my leave.
And we'll be a dream...

"Dee Dubbleyou." - BigBadBear

If you're paranoid that you're making your novel worse with each passing decision clap your hands
— Panikos