z

Young Writers Society

Bran Hambric: The Farfield Curse by Kaleb Nation

Reviews: 2
Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:41 pm
X-Cat says...

The author is someone most Twilight fans may have been aware of for quite some time, he started his own website and was known as "The Twilight Guy" for a couple years, documenting being one of the few guys at the time to read Twilight. He's hilarious. But recently he released his first novel, and he's proved himself on a whole new level.

Bran Hambric is about a boy who's mother was involved in a crime, using magic. And the people
who were after her are now after Bran. Bran lives in the city of Dunce and was unaware of all this until these people found him and started hunting him down.

This story has a lot of mystery, suspense, and adventure. It was a really enjoyable read, and Kaleb manages to make it unique and humorous and fun for all ages.

Had anyone else read this book? What are your thoughts? If not, you should definitely check it out!

http://www.branhambric.com/

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:04 pm
Kamas says...

I haven't heard of this book or the Twilight guy as a matter of a fact.
Sounds interesting:

There are some reviews sparsely spread through the internet, so I must not be extremely known.
Most reviews done state that the character development falls short and does grasp the reader as much as it could. But the plot was great and a fabulous kick start to his career.

I'll definitely take a look.

:D

Kamas
"Nothing is permanent in this wicked world - not even our troubles." ~ Charles Chaplin

#tnt

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Fri May 06, 2011 5:08 pm
RedBird says...

Sadly, I have to disagree with the quality of this book. It might just be me, but it seemed to be Harry Potter all over again. Honestly, the boy lives with a foster family of extremely disagreeable people and then discovers that he is a wizard. Even the title smacks of Harry Potter.

I will say that I enjoyed the distinction of the different kinds of wizard, though, as well as the gnomes and the banning on magic. These things added just enough spice to keep me reading, and I did eventually finish the book, but I couldn't escape the sense of deja vu, like I was reading Harry Potter again.
And remember...A portkey can be any sort of harmless object...A football...or a dolphin.
~Snape, AVPM

"You are the egg, you are the chrysalis, you are the progeny. You are the rot that falls from stars."
~Will Henry, on Typhoeus magnificum

Carpe Diem
— Catullus