z

Young Writers Society

The Luxe- Anna Godbersen

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:19 pm
OxfordandOnyx says...

I checked back a couple of pages and there seems to be no thread on this so... :smt003

The YA series surrounds New York's upper class of 1899. Beautiful socilites, forbidden loves and serious scandals.

" The introduction centers around two sisters, one of whom is said to have died after being thrown from her friend's carriage into the Hudson. Elizabeth Holland's death is still shady, as no body was recovered and only one person witnessed her death."wikipedia

Admittedly, the introduction is a little hard to get through but soon enough the author pulls through.

I recommed these books. They might not be for everyone (with Gossip Girlesque type characters/plot lines) but even as you may dismiss them now- you may be suprised by absorbing the characters are. There are times when you spot the plot from a mile away but towards the end of the book there's always a massive plot twist which will definately have you 'Oh my God'-ing.

Anyone read any of these?

The Luxe
Rumours
Envy
Splendor (Coming soon)

(:
Four kinds of people I hate most in life.
1. People who use a preposition to end a sentence with.
2. People who can't count.
3. People who think it's 'clever' to quote ironic phrases.

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:04 pm
tori1234 says...

I've read The Luxe and Rumors, and I'm planning on reading the other ones. I've really enjoyed the books so far, and they are incredibly hard to put down!
Nants ingonyama bagithi Baba
Sithi uhm ingonyama
Nants ingonyama bagithi baba
Sithi uhhmm ingonyama
Ingonyama
Siyo Nqoba
Ingonyama
Ingonyama nengw' enamabala

If you know what this is from, become my best friend. =)

73 Reviews

Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:00 pm
OxfordandOnyx says...

You should really continue reading- I love them and yeah, they are really hard to put down (: It's a shame they're not widely heard of if you know what i mean... (They are usually the lower shelf books)

Do you have any favourite characters?

582 Reviews

Reviews: 582
Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:09 pm
KJ says...

Actually, I didn't really enjoy these books. I found them dull and predictable. Is that too harsh? But really, as I was reading I was like, "Oh, this is going to happen now" and it did.

Anyone else not really like it? Or is it just me?

75 Reviews

Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:04 pm
tori1234 says...

My favorite character is hands down Will! He is so down to earth and a hard working man (my type of guy!)

Don't read the following spoiler unless you have finished the first book, The Luxe.

Spoiler! :
During class, I read the part where Will died. I had it hidden under my desk because the teacher didn't like people to read while she was teaching. But when Will died.......
I screamed out "NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" while the rest of the class was silent and she was telling us something important. She glared at me and was about to write me up to the principals office when she noticed that I was crying because of the emotional scene in the book. She pointed at me and said, "See class? That is the kind of reaction you want readers to get from your stories. You should take Tori as an example, because she was so into the characters in that story and understood them so well. When you read a story, put yourself in the characters shoes. Then you will truly understand what it's like to read."
She said some other stuff, but I was to upset that Will had died! lol
Sithi uhm ingonyama
Sithi uhhmm ingonyama
Ingonyama
Siyo Nqoba
Ingonyama

73 Reviews

Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:54 pm
OxfordandOnyx says...

Haha, that's hilarious!

I care too much about Penelope, Henry and Lina (oh, and Di) to care for Will.
Spoiler! :
He was sweet but am I cruel to say I'm not missing him? I hope Elizabeth gets over him and falls in love Teddy (who is a sweetheart) (:

75 Reviews

Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:43 am
tori1234 says...

Spoiler! :
He was sweet but am I cruel to say I'm not missing him? I hope Elizabeth gets over him and falls in love Teddy (who is a sweetheart) (:

Response to the spoiler quote above^^^

Spoiler! :
I LOVE Teddy! After Will, he's my favorite guy. I was so sad when he joined the army in the 3rd book!
Sithi uhm ingonyama
Sithi uhhmm ingonyama
Ingonyama
Siyo Nqoba
Ingonyama

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:21 pm
jessabelle4C says...

I hate Penelope and Carolina. But Dianna and Henry seem so cute together. :smt057 Can't wait to read Splendor! :smt081
Jessabelle
The past is the past, so don't bring it up.
JLJ is 4ever <3 :)

"Never give up, but there's a lot of people that would love to watch you fall and a lot of people wanting to see you succeed."

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:51 pm
PandorasChild says...

I enjoyed these as a beach read, But wanted to SLAP Diana in the last one. I was incredibly annoyed.
"Dad, I'm hungry."
Hello hungry!
"Dad! I'm serious."
I thought you were hungry?
"Are you kidding me?"
No. I'm dad.

Life's short; smile while you still have teeth.
— Tuesday