Young Writers Society

The Laramie project

38 Reviews

Reviews: 38
Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:47 pm
marching_gurl89 says...

The Laramie Project
by:Moisés Kaufman

The Laramie Project is a play about Matthew Shepard. He was a young gay man that was brutally beaten and then left to die out on the Wymoing prarie. What is so sad is that this event actually occured in October 1998 and is based on 200 testimoninals(sp?) of the people of Laramie. This play shows how it effects the town and the people living there. It also shows how even though we have come so far in civil rights that there is still so much hatred out there. This play is a deeply moving piece that left me just sobbing at the end. I highly recommend this play.
~*~Peace, Love, and Protesters~*~
I'm not off beat!I'm marching to the beat of my own drum
I rock my socks
Hippielicious the bold new flavor from caroline
JFK BLOWN AWAY WHAT ELSE DO I HAVE TO SAY!!!!!!!

362 Reviews

Reviews: 362
Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:16 pm
Fishr says...

I saw the movie about Shepard on HBO. It was VERY well done, least, I think so. It airs every once in a while, still on HBO. That's fine by me, because it's important to never forget. What happaned to Shepard was horriable. And for what??

*shakes head*

Anyway, The Laramie Project is worth looking into. I agree 100% with marching. The story always tugs at your heart.
The sadness drains through me rather than skating over my skin. It travels through every cell to reach the ground. I filter it yet strangely enough, I keep what was pure and it is the dirt that leaves.

Random avatar

Reviews: 335
Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:40 pm
Fireweed says...

A theatre company in my town performed this. Incredibly sad. And scary.
"I myself am composed entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions."- Augusten Burroughs

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:31 pm
greenwitch94 says...

-sniff......sniff-
i cried so much when i read the book and saw the movie......
it touched me in a way that i cant explain........
i recomend it to anyone.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:21 am
melcally says...

I have the book; it sitting on my shelf collecting dust. It was on my 10th grade reading list but I read the first few chapters; and just couldn't get into it. If it's that good I might have to take a crack at it. :D
"BEAUTIFUL ONLY IN MY IMPERFECTIONS" Jon McLaughlin

Reviews: 3
Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:24 pm
AuroraOrodel says...

The same theatre company did a 10 year anniversary play last year. They went back to Laramie and interviewed some of the same people. They even got in to see one of the murderers in prison. There was a nationwide reading of it across college campuses, and my school was the only one in the entire state to participate. Both of these plays really just tear your heart out...
"You cannot pronounce as knowledge anything you cannot demonstrate."
~Margaret Atwood

"The good writers touch life often. The mediocre ones run a quick hand over her. The bad ones rape her and leave her for the flies."
~Fahrenheit 451

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:52 pm
RedBird says...

I live in Laramie, and while, yes, the play and HBO film are very well done, there are some things one must consider when looking at a situation like the one that they describe. This is, unfortunately, something that Moises didn't do as well as he should have. There are some fairly large stereotypes that he places on the people of Laramie, which rather annoys me, and he also didn't examine the city itself that much. Other than that, though, I did enjoy seeing some of my favorite actors from LOST in the HBO version, cavorting around the place that I live... :)
And remember...A portkey can be any sort of harmless object...A football...or a dolphin.
~Snape, AVPM

"You are the egg, you are the chrysalis, you are the progeny. You are the rot that falls from stars."
~Will Henry, on Typhoeus magnificum

The very worst use of time is to do very well what need not be done at all.
— Benjamin Tregoe