z

Young Writers Society

Any good books I can try?

Reviews: 2
Fri May 22, 2009 11:08 pm
discodiva427 says...

Hi. I'm looking for some new books to read, well because, to be honest I'm tired of reading the ones I have. Um bear in mind the content of the book as I am only 13. I have a rather high reading age (when I was 7 I had the reading age of a 13 year old :shock: ) so I'm willing to try whatever. I'm interested in any genre only I dislike anything along the lines of Twilight, the Darren Shan books etc.
I'm open to all suggestions and I'll see what I can do down at my local library.

Thanks in advance,
Katy x

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Sat May 23, 2009 2:20 am
mhmmcolleenx0 says...

Well, I guess I would recommend The Perks of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. There is some stuff that is a little inappropriate. But, I'm thirteen and I read it. It's my favorite book.

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult is really good, too. I like a lot of her books.

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold is really good, and it's different. Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin is kind of the same thing, but different.

Frozen Fire by Tim Bowler is good.

Anything by Sarah Dessen is good, especially Dreamland and The Truth About Forever.

I liked Impulse by Ellen Hopkins.

I liked Willow by Julia Hoban, as well.

I liked Nothing by Robin Friedman.

Smack by Melvin Burgess was good, also.

That's all I can think of right now. Check them out, they're all really good.
Last edited by mhmmcolleenx0 on Sat May 23, 2009 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Can't stop, won't stop. I must be dreaming."

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Sat May 23, 2009 2:31 am
MagnusBane says...

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare. Best book I ever read. The characters are phenomenal.
“Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” Anton Chekhov

Reviews: 3
Sat May 23, 2009 3:54 am
Cheshire-Writer says...

Try Harry Potter by J.K.Rowling. And don't worry it is nothing like Twilight. The characters and plot are very well done and the fantasy world that Rowling created is absolutely incredible.

261 Reviews

Reviews: 261
Sun May 24, 2009 9:26 am
KnightlyAngel09 says...

Hiya.:D

Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli. Young adult fiction... I really loved it when I was younger. Really smart too.

If you're willing to try some classics, go with To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. Also, anything Jane Austen would be a great read as well although a lot of people say she's a rather difficult read.

If you don't read classics that much but you're willing to try it and want to start with something not as tedious as some classics tend to be, try Little Women, Little Men and Jo's Boys by Louisa May Alcott.

Oh, and a lovely series you can read is Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan. First book in the series is called The Lightning Thief.

--Knightly
All that I'm after is a life full of laughter, as long as I'm laughing with you.:)

Reviews: 3
Mon May 25, 2009 11:51 pm
Cheshire-Writer says...

KnightlyAngel09 wrote:
Oh, and a lovely series you can read is Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan. First book in the series is called The Lightning Thief.

--Knightly

I'm a huge fan of that one. Riordan is really good at making plot twists.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Tue May 26, 2009 6:09 am
Wiggy says...

Hey there!

Well, it's summer, and yay! Time to read! :) So, you simply HAVE to read Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell. It's an essential to every writer's bookshelf, and besides being my favorite book (ZOMG RHETT BUTLER *drools* :P), it really taught me a lot about excellent characterization, flowing writing, and magnificent settings. Highly, highly recommended.

Also, Knightly's suggestion of anything by Jane Austen is fabulous, too! I'd recommend Pride and Prejudice first; besides being the most well-known, it's a nice introduction into the classics, and it's a very beautiful love story. :)

Hmmm....oh! If you like Christian fiction, I'd really recommend A Passion Most Pure and its sequel, A Passion Redeemed by Julie Lessman. They're excellent, excellent stories. I've even met Julie herself; she's real sweet, down to earth, and she's a great writing advisor. But yeah. Read her books. lol

Best of luck reading!

Wigs ;)
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Tue May 26, 2009 4:02 pm
Firestar says...

"Peter and the Starcatchers" by Dave Barry, "Gregor the Overlander" by Suzanne Collins, "The Merchant of Death" by D. J. MacHale, "Uglies" by Scott Westerfeld, anything by Margaret Peterson Haddix, Half Moon Investigations by Eoin Colfer, "Life as we Knew It" by Susan Beth Pfeffer, "Silverwing" and "Airborn" by Kenneth Oppel, "The House of the Scorpion" by Nancy Farmer, and "The Seer and the Sword" by Victoria Hanley.

Note that alot of the books I've mentioned are the first in a series.
Admiration: Our polite recognition of another's resemblance to ourselves.

Dopeler Effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

Confidence: the feeling a person has before he fully understands the situation.

Shin: A device for finding furniture in the dark.

127 Reviews

Reviews: 127
Wed May 27, 2009 1:46 pm
Cotton says...

Heya! I'm a bit like you, I always wanted to read above my age group!
Anyways, I would recommend these books:
> The Louise Rennison books - they're absolutely hilarious
> Triskellion and Triskellion 2, by Will Peterson - a mixture of fantasy/adventure/archaeology. I thought they were really great
> The Princess Diaries - cheesy, but still fun :)
> Lock and Key/The Truth About Forever/This Lullaby/(Just Listen), by Sarah Dessen - subject content a bit more mature than the others I've mentioned but she's just such a good writer.

Hope this helps in some small way! And if you ever want to talk about a book, I'm always more than happy to! (in fact, talking about books is one of my favourite things - second only to reading lol)
~*X*~
Here's a story of a brother by the name of Othello,
He liked white women and he liked - green jello... - Reduced Shakespeare Company

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:25 pm
MaresAzulados says...

I'm 13, and one of the authors I dislike is Meg Cabot. I just... can't read a book of hers anymore...

So, when I'm online I go for "Books Hunt". I go to places were they sell books, and I read descriptions, then I try to buy the most interesting ones. I have, like, a long, long list of those. :D
Scipio: Do you know what happens here after dark? Things little eyes should never, ever see.
Bo: We're not scared.
Scipio: Not scared? Well, aren't you the little tiger? RAWR!

321 Reviews

Reviews: 321
Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:31 pm
Flower~Child says...

Ok, some of these books sound like things I am going to have to read in school haha. I suggest the Percey jackson and the olimpians series, the series of unfortunate events are ok, um the lord of the rings if you have a big attension span. Inkheart, inkspell, and inkdeath (they are a series) Treasure Island was ok. The host was pretty good. Thats all I can think of off the top of my head.
My reality comes to a close as I once again realize that you don't love me, and even if I love you with my everything you will never care.

Reviews: 4
Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:08 pm
Pooka says...

[quote="MaresAzulados"]I'm 13, and one of the authors I dislike is Meg Cabot. I just... can't read a book of hers anymore...

Ya, She has a few good ones out there, Like The mediator series, but she kind of went off the deep end and started writing about nasty stuff. If you read Princess Diaries, then you REALLY need to watch out after the fifth or sixth book. ALSO, all American girl was good but DO NOT read the sequel, it was awful and i can't believe they put that in the teen section!

Some of my favorites include:
Everlost
anything By Sharon Creech
anything by Margret Peterson Hadix
ALL the books by Lois Duncan (Despite the scary movie, her books are more suspense and mystery than horror)
Sun and moon, Ice and snow (My favorite book ever)
Wicked lovely
The Sweep series
Bloody Jack series
Artemis Fowl
Nancy Drew
Sherlock Holmes
the book thief
and May Bird

hope i could be of help

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:17 pm
MaresAzulados says...

Pooka?

Do you mean Everlost by Neal Shüsterman?

Oh. My. Gosh. I'd just forgotten the author, and I went into a little research in the web, and I found it's a triology...

oh. my. I have the first book, and I really like it...

:D
Scipio: Do you know what happens here after dark? Things little eyes should never, ever see.
Bo: We're not scared.
Scipio: Not scared? Well, aren't you the little tiger? RAWR!

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:38 pm
Maybe says...

Here are some of the books I recommend. All of them I've been really impressed with, or else they probably wouldn't be on here!

- 'Abarat' & 'Abarat: Days of Magic, Nights of War' by Clive Barker. I just finished reading the second one and I can honestly admit that these books are currently on the top of my favorites list. They're for young adults, so they don't have any bad content other than a few bad words. They're pretty surreal, but definitely worth reading.

- 'Daemon Hall' by Andrew Nance. Another rather surreal, paranormal book. This book is also for young adults, so again no bad content. It's a good book to read if you're looking for a scary story...or just a story about teen writers like yourself.

- 'The Bartimaeus Trilogy' by Johnathan Stroud. Probably my second-favorite series of all time. These books are witty, clever and just overall...awesome. They're also for young adults. The first book is The Amulet of Samarkand.

- 'The Dragonlance Chronicles' by Margret Weis and Tracy Hickman. These books are a bit more mature, but still rather good. The Chronicles are a series of three books, but in reality there are about 17 or so that follow it. The first book is Dragons of Autumn Twilight.

- 'Sword of Truth' series by Terry Goodkind. These books are definitely more mature and a little harder to get into, but I'm on the third one and so far they're pretty good. The first book is Wizard's First Rule.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Hope this helps!
Be the cartoon heart. Light a fire, light a spark. Light a fire, flame in my heart. We'll run wild, we'll be glowing in the dark.

82 Reviews

Reviews: 82
Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:40 pm
Celticmusicgirl says...

i am currently reading the Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer and i love it. i would recomend this series to every1. Another book i really enjoy is Daniel's Story by Carol Matas. i have read it twice and am going to read it again soon. If you liek Animals you should read the Penderwicks an't remember the authors name atm. good luck
"No life is forever. We found and fought here. We loved and died here... The crops whither and the bones of hunger walk the sunken roads... The land has failed us... In dance and song we gift and mourn our children. They carry us over the ocean in dance and song.
-American Wake by Riverdance

Saying Why-Double-you-Ehs is inversely like saying Ah-beh-Seh (Abc)... just say yewis it's cooler.
— Anonymous