z

Young Writers Society

The Inkheart Series

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Wed May 18, 2011 12:01 pm
skermitz says...

He creates his characters wonderfully and makes the book seem to come alive!!

Sorry, but Cornelia Funke is a woman...
haha... But I also thought that Harper Lee was a man so... I know the feeling :D
"Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R R Tolkien -
"real lies realize real lies"
"Wealth is a poor minds desire"
"Fall in love, not in line"

72 Reviews

Reviews: 72
Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:54 pm
tigershark17 says...

I saw the movie and hated it. How's the book in comparison?
Behind every impossible achievement is a dreamer of impossible dreams.
--Robert Greenleaf

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:34 pm
kjr5horses says...

tigershark17 wrote:I saw the movie and hated it. How's the book in comparison?

The movie sucked.....

The books are AMAZING! And different from the movie! The movie ruined the story and the characters! Read the books they are great!
"Me I'm dishonest but a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly its the honest ones you have to watch out for because you can never tell when they are going to do something incredibly...stupid." ~Capt. Jack Sparrow

Random avatar

Reviews: 15
Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:06 am
hopeispeace says...

Well, I feel like a buzkill . . . I hated Inkheart . . .
~HopeisPeace

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:23 pm
Starhunter says...

Loved this series, but the first one is probably my favorite. :) The others... well, it definetly gets worse before it gets better for the characters.
I liked how there were SO MANY characters and Funke didn't skimp on any of them. Like Violante- she was great. I just loved how characters who were kind of minor still played big roles. And there were so many characters!
But Dustfinger is my favorite. He's just awesome.

Please, everyone, don't watch the movie if you haven't yet. Don't talk about it. Deny its existence!!!! The only thing it KINDA did right was Dustfinger and Capricorn. Kinda a little bit sorta not really. And that part at the end, when Dustfinger goes back and is greeted by his LOVING wife and TWO daughters... oh yeah, that's accurate.

Sorry for the rant- couldn't help it.
Why do we fall?
So we can learn to pick ourselves up.

If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it. Anything you want to, do it!
Wanna change the world?
There's nothing to it.

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:41 am
Pencil2paper says...

I love the Inkheart trilogy. I have ever since I was in 5th grade.

I absolutely adore the books, and I love the idea of going into a book as they did in the second book (no thanks for going into Inkheart though). I think all of us authors have at some point wanted to visit places like Middle Earth, Hogwarts, or Camp Half-Blood, or even to just meet the characters. I also loved the way that the author was saying that sometimes ordinary people can write and read so well that they breathe life into their writing or reading.

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one that has heard of and liked this amazing book.

As far as the movie, it paled greatly in comparison to the book. I find that no movie based on a book- with the exception of Forrest Gump- even comes close to the original book. While it did stick mainly to the storyline of the book,it lacked the essence of the book itself. It did not feel like the characters were adequate, and they certainly did not seem like they could just stroll off of the screen, which was the very point of the book. So, basically, don't judge a book by its movie.
"Look out! He's got a daisy!"
- Making Money by Terry Pratchett

Chuck Norris- worshiping gnomes, undead pandas, pet chupacabras and undead Keanu Reeves-what could possibly go wrong?

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:27 am
View Likes
crossroads says...

You all pretty much said already what I meant to say, but still I felt like saying I love the books too.

Though I was writing long before I read them, it was that series that actually made me want to become a writer (as in, have my books published and be serious about it).. I don't know why, and I can't tell if I'd decide so at the time even if I haven't read them, but because of that they stayed in a very loving memory of mine. I read it a couple of times since.

I love fire and I love magic and I love other worlds, so I still wouldn't decline going to Inkworld with Dustfinger :mrgreen:
While on him, he was the only character in the movie that was actually chosen right. Him and Gwin, that is, though they didn't even make his scars right.
Capricorn didn't seem nearly as scary or evil as he was supposed to, and I'm actually mad at them for the way of making Basta. He looks totally different in my head. I won't even talk about how the movie ended.

My advice, do read the books first, or even better - only read the books. She's a great author and that's a great series and, well, they might make you want to read some of your favorite books out loud ;)
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

Random avatar

Reviews: 94
Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:33 pm
defiantAuthoress says...

I quite liked Inkheart, I think that the characters were wonderful and it was a great concept. I had trouble with getting through Inkspell, which was sort of meh for me, with it being longer and even more descriptive. Eventually, I made it to Inkdeath, and as much as I wanted too, I just couldn't finish it. There was so much that seemed unnecessary to me, and I couldn't handle it all.
However, Dustfinger and Farid were my favorites! At some points, I was really only reading to find out what happened to them.
Maybe I should take a stab at the series again...

Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality.
— Jules de Gaultier