Young Writers Society

Abarat

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Sun May 10, 2009 4:06 pm
Phantomofthebasket says...

Anyone heard of it?
Abarat is an absolutely AMAZING book.
I got this from the library one day (my friend works there and highly recommended it to me) and once I started reading it, I just could not put it down.
Its almost as if this book has EVERYTHING.
Bored main character: Check.
Odd creatures: Check.
Love: Check.
Kidnapping: Check.
Attempted world domination: Check.

I highly recommend this book to ANYONE who loves fantasy. I have to admit, that the book is kind of slow at first, for the first 40 pages or so... not that it isn't interesting. Ooh, no. Its very interesting. Its just that nothing of the main book happens in the first 40 pages or so.
However, with that small disadvantage out of the way, I could most definitely read and re-read this book over and over again and not get bored of it.
I'm just sad because there's a second one... and I haven't read it yet. =(

But, anyhoo.
Good book!
Highly recommended!
Go read it if you haven't.
Comment if you have. =D
Phantom's Contest Basket <--Make me happy and join my contest! Due date: August 15th!
Phantom's Reviewing Basket <--Need a review? Go here and ask!

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Fri May 06, 2011 5:15 pm
RedBird says...

I love Abarat. I first read it when I was around ten, and it made next to no sense to me, but then I re-read three years later, and I was instantly hooked. It has all of the elements of good fantasy, good characters, and an excellent plot. The illustrations add a sense of surrealness that really drew me in, and made the book deeper than your average fantasy.

The islands of the Abarat are an intriguing place and the time concept was pretty original, I have to say. I recently read the second book, and, believe me, the ways in which Barker extends the plot and adds to the intrigue are mind-numbing. If you love a good fantasy, then you should most DEFINTELY read Abarat.
And remember...A portkey can be any sort of harmless object...A football...or a dolphin.
~Snape, AVPM

"You are the egg, you are the chrysalis, you are the progeny. You are the rot that falls from stars."
~Will Henry, on Typhoeus magnificum

“I am not worried, Harry," said Dumbledore, his voice a little stronger despite the freezing water. "I am with you.”
— Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince