z

Young Writers Society

Do these even exist?

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:13 am
Trikky says...

It seems like so much of literature for teens is really shallow *glares at Clique and Gossip Girl novels*.

Either that or deep and thick to the point of being totally impenetreble *pokes Tom Wolfe*.

Or just depressing and bleak. *contemplates The Catcher in the Rye*

or so grungy/sexual/dirty/drugged-out it makes you want to puke *there's too many to choose!*

Yeah, so I'm just looking for something a little different, quirky, interesting... I'm getting sick of reading the same old stuff! >.<

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:11 am
Ohio Impromptu says...

Might I suggest The Perks of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky? Certainly the best book in the genre you're describing that I ever read.
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a head that empty?
Gone, gone from New York City,
where you gonna go with a heart that gone?

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:02 pm
Samantha Eliza says...

I really enjoyed John Green's novels, especially An Abundance of Katherine's and Looking for Alaska. They are funny and quirky but also have some depth to them as well. Other authors I'd suggest are E. Lockhart (specifically The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks and Fly on Wall) and Sarah Dessen (anything by her is good, but my favorites are The Truth About Forever and Just Listen). Both of them are good writers and their novels actually have substance to them.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:45 pm
Master_Yoda says...

Try Tim Bowler's Bloodchild. It's marvelous. :)
#TNT

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
-- Robert Frost

I review your reviews: viewtopic.php?f=188&t=94522

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:36 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

The Gemma Doyle Trilogy by I forget the author's name?
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:41 pm
Teague says...

Ohio Impromptu wrote:Might I suggest The Perks of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky? Certainly the best book in the genre you're describing that I ever read.

Yes. This book is phenomenal.

I also recommend Smack/Junk (the title depends on where you live) by Melvin Burgess. It's one of my favourites.

I'd also check out Between the Bridge and the River by Craig Ferguson, and pretty much everything by Kurt Vonnegut, but especially Slaughterhouse-Five and Cat's Cradle.

Teague
x
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:58 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

I second Teague's recommendations.
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:51 pm
alexstrykr says...

Try The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak -- it's amazing.

The Gemma Doyle Trilogy by I forget the author's name?

It's Libba Bray, and these books are great as well. :wink:

Random avatar

Reviews: 150
Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:11 am
200397 says...

Haruno Sakura wrote:The Gemma Doyle Trilogy by I forget the author's name?

Libba Bray. Yeah, those are pretty interesting. And original, I might add.

I would suggest Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta. It's the most original book I've ever read, and it's also deep (as in emotionally deep) but not so deep that's it hard to penetrate. :) I really enjoyed it, because it was part mystery, part romance, and it switches back and forth between the memories of a group of children on the Jellicoe Road, and the present day. Really good. :wink:

Also, there's Skin Deep by E. M. Crane. It's another original book about a young teenager, very basic and boring, who meets an eccentric woman dying from cancer. I was crying by the end, but it's also funny and cute. :)

I have an entire list, if you want it just PM me. :D

Cheers!

~Sunny

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:07 am
smaur says...

Okay, wracking my ever-failing memory for YA novels that I enjoyed as a teen:

Scott Westerfeld's "Uglies" series is easy to breeze through — it's fun awesome sci-fi that is really easy to get into even if you're not a science fiction fan.

Megan Whalen Turner's "The Thief" (and its sequels) is pretty fabulous. It's lightly fantasy but not laid on too thick. The characters are some of my favourites and it's (as I recall) funny and interesting and occasionally twisty.

Neil Gaiman's "Neverwhere" is another fantastic book. It's not his best but I think it's his only book that's really YA.

Cory Doctorow's "Little Brother" is pretty awesome and up for a Hugo this year. And it's available online for free.

I'll second/third/fourth "The Perks of Being a Wallflower".

(I'm omitting the classics because I assume you know all of those.)

Anyway, there are heaps of fantastic YA novels, you just have to find them in all of the unpleasant dredge. Pretty much how it works with all books ever. Good luck!
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:21 pm
Lauren says...

The only 'teen' novel that I can stomach: 'How I Live Now' by Meg Rosoff. It's quirky, beautiful, different, whimsical, elegant...yep. :)

Reviews: 0
Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:37 pm
fleur de l'est says...

Well in a way, if it's not depressing, it's kind of automatically classified as stupid ^^'

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Sat May 02, 2009 6:46 pm
LolitaRose says...

Oh...crap. I've read plenty of decent teen novels, I just have a hard time remembering them...

Oh! 'Twisted' by Laurie Hale Anderson(I believe that's her name?) was quite good. It was a bit depressing, the main character flirts with suicide quite a few times, but it has a decent plot, and managed to keep my attention. Laurie Hale Anderson has quite a few good novels for teens.

'Rule of the Bone' was alright, too. It swears quite a bit, and the main character is a drug addict, but it really is quite realistic. However, you might have a hard time finding this, as the only copy I found was an old banged up version, that had some water marks and such. I can't remember the author's name, sadly. The style of the book is quite different, too. The main character tends to use run on sentences, but after a while you get used to it, and it fits the story much more than a regular style of writing.
no second thoughts, the knife is nearing
you'll never hear the little pitter patter pitter patter

Random avatar

Reviews: 4
Sun May 03, 2009 9:47 pm
BECCAsezhi says...

Any of Scott Westerfeld's books, not just the Uglies trilogy but all of them.

Here is a short list of books that I have recently read and would recommend to anyone (author's names unknown

Click Here (To See How I Survived Second Grade)
the Maximum Ride books
Faerie Wars

Then some books that I back up are An Abundance of Katherine's and Perks of a Wallflower.
My favorite song is about a rape. If you have a problem then go somewhere else
DOWN WITH TWILIGHT!!!!!!!

144 Reviews

Reviews: 144
Mon May 11, 2009 4:27 pm
GoldenQuill says...

If you're looking for a fantasy-like thing, try the 'Magic in Manhattan Seris'. There's: Bras & Broomsticks, Frogs & French Kisses, Spells & Sleepingbags, and Parties & Potions. They're written by Sarah Mlynowski. They're great because they have magic in them AND they're teen. Not really any drama or depressing, but they're so much fun to read.

You cannot have an opponent if you keep saying yes.
— Richard Siken