z

Young Writers Society

Trickster's Choice, Trickster's Queen (by Tamora Pierce)

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Thu Dec 16, 2004 4:24 am
iced.cappuchino says...

Ah, Tamora Pierce, the only author who I want to be. Of course, I've admired many, many authors over the course of my wild adventures in the world of literature- Conana Doyle, Christie, [Jean] Little, Applegate, etc.

But the only author whom I've wanted to be is Tamora Pierce.

Put succinctly, I love anything she writes.

'Trickster's Choice' is one of the best books I've ever read.

Aly is a spy. Sharp in mind, wits and tongue, she is kidnapped from her homeland by a god and given the task to overthrow a royal family.

The best part about any of her books, is the discreet, often overlooked allusions to her other literary works. I love it when I'm reading a story and find a brief wink to another story in an author's work.

I think it sharpens the reader's wits. ^^ And it just draws me in the author's world.

Because... wait, did I mention this, Trickster's Choice and Trickster's Queen are a pair of books, continuations of each other, but also part of Tamora Pierce's other books.

Reading all of them ('The Immortals' and 'The Quartet of the Lioness') gives a reader full insight in Pierce's world.

You see links, many of them, and draw delicious conclusions from hints given here and there through the different series and books.

I love love loooove it. ^^

And I'm just sooo envious of Pierce's ability to subtly hint at the depth of her world, without making the reader bored with pages of backstory and history lessons on the different countries and animal species.

Thank you, Ms Pierce, for such enjoyable reads.

(I'm afraid this review hasn't been very helpful; it's just a long rant on Tamora Pierce and her awesome books. ^^)

(Excuse me for any typos, little sleep and exams can do terrible things to your attention span, not to mention your typing abilities and coherence.)

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sun Dec 26, 2004 4:00 am
Meshugenah says...

yay! me and El aren't the only ones who like her books! i read the first 4 quarttes in less then a month, and i have read tricksters choice, and i need to read tricksters queen. excellent books :D and i agree with subtlity, it's great.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:40 am
Crysi says...

*cough* And you need to let me borrow Trickster's Choice. *cough*

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:22 am
Elelel says...

I've read all her books... well, I havn't read 'the circle opens' quartette, but everything else! And loved it all.
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:27 am
uniaeca says...

I love Tamora Pierce!!! I've read all of her books, dreamed that they've been made into movies inside my head, and have an ongoing joke with a friend at school in which we incorporate Tamora Pierce and Lord of the Rings together. Im well known for getting alot of my friends interested in the books even when they said that they didn't like them. My sister first got Alanna: The First Adventure for me at her school library and I think it took me less than a week to read it. I read Trickster's Queen during class and almost got it taken off me but I begged the teacher to let me keep it. Oh, and I own all the books except three and sometimes write Tamora Pierce fanfiction.
Sporks!! and Waffles!! Ohhhh that waffley goodness stabbed with a spork!

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:32 pm
dreaming_mouse says...

I love Tamora Pierce :D I can't wait till the sequeal to Trickster's Choice comes out :D The hardback one is out but I can't find it in any shops or on Amazon :'(, my fav series is The Song of the Lioness Quartet :D

Reviews: 0
Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:45 pm
Guest says...

I LOVE TAMORA PIERCE BOOKS! I'm reading Trickster's Queen right now and all of her books are AMAZING! I like them all...I've never read circle of magic though...And I totallyunderstand what you mean when you say you want to BE Tamora Pierce!

221 Reviews

Reviews: 221
Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:29 am
Elelel says...

I've almost read every one of her books (I had to post-pone Circle opens 3 due to the book club and can't find book 4 in pathetic small town bookshop... grr)
Oh, you're angry! Click your pen.
--Music and Lyrics

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:59 am
Meshugenah says...

yay! i finished tricksters queen! it was excellent (apart from the plot twists i guessed... oh well) good read
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

563 Reviews

Reviews: 563
Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:06 pm
Writersdomain says...

Yes, Tamora Pierce's Trickster books were beautiful. I didn't like the second one as much as the first one, but it was still good.
My favorite character was Fesgao.
~ WD
If you desire a review from WD, post here

"All I know, all I'm saying, is that a story finds a storyteller. Not the other way around." ~Neverwas

That, sir, is the most frightening battlefield in the world: the blank page.
— Larry McMurtry, Comanche Moon