z

Young Writers Society

Percy Jackson and The Olmpians by Rick Riodran

Reviews: 0
Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:40 pm
SAI01 says...

Does anyone else like these books as much as I do if so post here please. They are really good modern day Greek Myth books
go here for more info
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_Jackson_%26_The_Olympians#The_Lightning_Thief

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:07 pm
Linx says...

They are really good books. I love reading them, and Rick Riordan was an amazing author for these books, even if it was his first books for "kids."

The last book is being released on May 5, in case anyone was interested. :wink:

*Cat
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." ~ Lao-tzu

Attack, IM, or PM me at any time. I will respond. ;)

261 Reviews

Reviews: 261
Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:10 am
KnightlyAngel09 says...

I love these books!:) Finished with the third book recently. Pretty good books for mythology fanatics.

They're for kids. We're kids aren't we?:)
All that I'm after is a life full of laughter, as long as I'm laughing with you.:)

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:57 am
Bloo says...

I loved this series. It is actually the series that got me into writing. I always loved mythology, and this showed me I could make more modern ones, that when I got into writing stories. My first attempts at books were Percy Jackson fanfic like books. But they never stayed the same to long, I always changed them. Eventually the whole plot changed for it and that changed and changed and changed and changed into my current project.
That User Who Changed Their Name A Dozen Times And So No One Ever Knew Who They Were Half the Time and When They Did Only Used Bolt.

The tragic tale of losing all #Brand for nothing in return.

The Take Away Is You Probably Know Me As Bolt

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:59 am
WaterVyper says...

I love the Percy Jackson books. They have a countdown till the release of the last book. As of right now, it is about 50 days, and 15 hours till it's released.

http://www.percyjacksonbooks.com/
That's the link. If you wait for a while, the timer will appear.
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

Random avatar

Reviews: 15
Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:05 pm
Horserider says...

I LOVE Percy Jackson and the Olympians! Book 5 comes out March 5th and I can't WAIT!!!! I need to reread the first four to refresh my memory...

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:51 pm
chasingcolts21 says...

Oh my gosh! I love the series so far! I cannot wait for the fifth! So soon, but so far away. I'm excited for it. :P
"We would accomplish many more things if we didn't think of them as impossible." Vince Lombardi

~You've just been ticketed by the Grammar Police! 1000 word essay fine.

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:38 pm
Eliza:) says...

Percy Jackson and the Olympians is such a great series. I can't wait for May when the fifth book finally comes out. It is so good.
There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.
-Ernest Hemingway

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:03 pm
MaresAzulados says...

I have the first, the second, the third, the fourth, and the fifth book... and the Demigod Files. I love those books...
Scipio: Do you know what happens here after dark? Things little eyes should never, ever see.
Bo: We're not scared.
Scipio: Not scared? Well, aren't you the little tiger? RAWR!

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:10 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

These books make me want to hurt people.

He totally screwed up his mythology, mixes traditional and Latinized spellings, and the writing was just corny.

But it was mostly the mythology-massacring that made me angry.

If you want mythology, read Ovid.

--Antigone
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

321 Reviews

Reviews: 321
Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:23 pm
Flower~Child says...

I love these books. I have read up to the battle in the labrinth haha. The library didn't have the last one. :(
My reality comes to a close as I once again realize that you don't love me, and even if I love you with my everything you will never care.

Reviews: 3
Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:05 am
Cheshire-Writer says...

Antigone Cadmus wrote:These books make me want to hurt people.

He totally screwed up his mythology, mixes traditional and Latinized spellings, and the writing was just corny.

But it was mostly the mythology-massacring that made me angry.

If you want mythology, read Ovid.

--Antigone

I agree that he did mess with some of the mythology and some things were pretty corny. But I still love these books because of it's plot. I found the plot twists to be particularly good because I didn't predict them.

My Issues with these books are in the spoiler:
[spoiler]Percy and Annabeth just didn't seem to go together that well. Actually I didn't like Annabeth, she was cool at first but then she got annoying. I mean come on I know the girls fatal flaw is Pride but does she really have to be that rude to people. I also disagree with Cerberus being a three headed Rottweiler. That was just a no with me, Cerberus is supposed to be terrifying and not look like Fluffy from the first HP movie[/spoiler]

And that's my rant, I still love the book for it's plot. :roll: I'm such a critic when comes to relatively popular books. I always need to analize my bestsellers to see why they're best sellers.

321 Reviews

Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:33 pm
Flower~Child says...

When I started reading it I didn't know much about Greek Mythology haha. So when I was looking for information I saw that he misspelled Cronos the whole time. I was like what the crap.
My reality comes to a close as I once again realize that you don't love me, and even if I love you with my everything you will never care.

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:01 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

No, Kronos is the correct GREEK spelling.
The problem is, Athena is a Latin/English-tized spelling. If he wanted all of his names to seem Greek, he would have called Athena Pallas Athene, and so on.
Also, it's a big no-no for Athena to have children. I don't care if Annabeth is some super mind-meld child, Athena's a virgin in mythology -- she doesn't want kids.

/rant
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

321 Reviews

Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:28 pm
Flower~Child says...

Everywhere I had looked it was with a C but oh well.

akdsjfh you know that feeling where you start writing a scene but then you get bored with the scene so you move on and start writing a different scene and then you get bored with that scene so you move on to an entirely different WIP and then you get bored with that so you move on-
— AceassinOfTheMoon