z

Young Writers Society

Twilight

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:09 pm
Rodhead says...

Okay. I heard praactically everyone talking about the Twilight books and films so I decided that I would give them ago and read the first book. I was kinda dissapointed with it. I didnt really like it that much. Does anybody else agree with me.?
Impossible is a word to be found in a dictionary of fools- M. Thatcher

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:17 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

You'll find a large anti-Twilight club here. I hate Twilight, but I don't want to start another debate (there ate tons of threads like this)

My advice? Go read Anne Rice's vampire novels.

:)
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

127 Reviews

Reviews: 127
Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:30 pm
Incognito says...

Twilight isn't as good as it was when I first read it ... two years ago. But I learned to dislike it as I read on and on. That series is indeed nothing compared to the Vampire Chronicles, yet the Vampire Chronicles are indeed based for a different audience. There is only a little bit of romance and so forth but if you want a twist on the vampire existence, the Vampire Chronicles are a great read.

I also found in Twilight, Stephanie Meyer over used words like 'stunning', 'dazzle', 'god-like', and 'icy'. Twilight certainly wasn't as well written as I thought it was when I first starting reading it. I think people liked it because it was written differently, almost 'refreshing', compared to other novels.
'Everyone is entitled to be stupid, some just abuse the priviledge.'

196 Reviews

Reviews: 196
Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:35 pm
OverEasy says...

Try here for the same topic.

No need to start a new thread, I think there are already a few for Twilight.
Life is for living.

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:08 pm
Trikky says...

My advice? Go read Anne Rice's vampire novels.

Or Salem's Lot! :D
"God is dead." -Nietzsche
"Nietzsche is dead." -God

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:07 am
Bloo says...

yes it was terrible, i hated it to.

there is an anti-twilight group here if you want to join it, here's the link.

viewgroup.php?f=276

in case it does not work it is called the

twilight Disposal squad

Random avatar

Reviews: 47
Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:13 am
quietloud798 says...

Twilight was so stupid.
It wasn't well written and the movie was rediculous.
I can't believe people are so obsessed with it.
NaNoWriMo, ftw.

120 Reviews

Reviews: 120
Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:03 pm
mikepyro says...

Twilight makes me weep for the future of literature.
All you need to do is throw hot guys and a cheesy romance at the page.
Plus some kind of supernatural aspect.

There you go. Bestseller.

Random avatar

Reviews: 20
Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:26 pm
MySunshine says...

My Twilight-obsessive-phase is over. I still kind of like it, but I don't like it as much as I used to a few weeks ago.
Maybe it's because the first time you read (at least in my case), it's about the general content, and only after a few times of rereading, you notice the details.

I have to agree with Incognito Temptation about the repetition of words, and the overall ... well, shallowness of the characters. True, I didn't notice it the first time around, but now I think neither Edward nor Bella have depth to their character, and their behavior starts to annoy me a lot.
♥And if you go, I wanna go with you. And if you die, I wanna die with you♥

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:54 pm
mtempleton says...

Yep Twilight definately has its issues.

I was swept along at the start, and I still hold it as a guilty pleasure. But after reading all four books in the space of a fortnight I'm laying off for a while.

I could rant forever about Meyer's writing style but at the same time, she is out there. She has an audience and she's "living the dream," unlike the rest of us would be writers.

Bottom line:

Twilight= escapism = good

But I am sick to death of Twilight spoofs and the Meyer witchhunt on this sight.
"I want my journey to be full of laughter"

Final Fantasy X

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:27 am
Manny says...

mtempleton wrote:Yep Twilight definately has its issues.

I was swept along at the start, and I still hold it as a guilty pleasure. But after reading all four books in the space of a fortnight I'm laying off for a while.

I could rant forever about Meyer's writing style but at the same time, she is out there. She has an audience and she's "living the dream," unlike the rest of us would be writers.

Bottom line:

Twilight= escapism = good

But I am sick to death of Twilight spoofs and the Meyer witchhunt on this sight.

It's only a "witchhunt" because of the popularity. Just because a book sells millions of copies and everyone's talking about it doesn't mean it's a good book. Twilight is just the new Eragon everyone can enjoy hating. Though, Youtube has a lot more videos of people burning Twilight than Eragon. :O

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:28 pm
mhmmcolleenx0 says...

I didn't hate it. I just thought it was a little...weird? The guy sparkled, Bella "loved" that. I would find that really creepy! Edward was too perfect, Bella was too "I need you or I'll die," the most real person in that book was like...Charlie. But, he just got stupider as the series went on. Okay, I'm done.
"Can't stop, won't stop. I must be dreaming."

206 Reviews

Reviews: 206
Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:10 am
Lil_Pau says...

I don't really like it as well. Last year, since it was getting "all-the-rage," I bought the books and I wanted to see how was it like.
And it greatly disappointed me. I remember shaking my head as I put down the first book.

120 Reviews

Reviews: 120
Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:24 am
mikepyro says...

I was having this conversation with my friend who is a huge twilight fan (like even writes fan fic) *shudder*

I told her I thought meyer was just a mediocre writer.

My friend replied: yeah, well if she's so bad why does everyone buy her books and make them into movies?

I said: well, alot of people buy crack cocaine, but that's certainly not a good thing.

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:39 pm
Krupp says...

mtempleton wrote:escapism = good

ehhhh....the problem with escapism is look what it did to Cobain. That's my only problem with thinking escapism is a good thing. It only causes people to avoid the problems they need to be conquering, not running from.

As for twilight? I knew the moment it became popular an anti-twilight crusade would come along. I didn't like it when I first heard of it. These kinds of stories tend to be nothing but pure masturbation for the mind.

I hate to be a jerk like that, and I'll even give the author of twilight credit if she's got a great sense of writing...but that's all these kinds of stories ever amount to.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

I tell the neophyte: Write a million words–the absolute best you can write, then throw it all away and bravely turn your back on what you have written. At that point, you’re ready to begin.
— David Eddings