z

Young Writers Society

What is the Best Book you have read...

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:12 pm
View Likes
PrehistoricEchoes says...

My number one favorite would have to be Time Trap by Greg Farshtey, simply because it is a great closer to a series and wraps up the character development of my favorite character in that series. It also is just written well, and has an intriguing, well-pulled off plot.

Other favorites? Probably Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien, Fall of Reach by Eric Nylund, Allegiance by Timothy Zahn, and Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.
My life was described in the Halo 3 Machinima, Flag Campers: "The last two hours of travel are confined to a small, hilly area. And it's all squiggly..."

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:58 am
Purple says...

This might seem like a teenage cliche but either The Fault in Our Stars by John Green or Divergent by Veronica Roth. The first deals with a girl with cancer encountering others like her and her emotions throughout this process and journey with another character in the book. While I can't personally relate to her experience, her emotions and attitude are what I deeply understood and found this book to be an insightful experience. In Divergent, the story in an extremely simplified sense shows a girl discovering her true self and attempting to save an impure futuristic society. Clearly I have never changed the world or even my town, but I feel like i have an introverted desire to influence someone or something in the grand scheme of things. Both of these books are must-reads in my opinion.

~Purple

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:59 am
Lefty says...

My favorite is definitely the Legend trilogy by Marie Lu. If I had to pick one book of the three, that would be hard but I guess it would be Prodigy (book 2) since I go back to that one most often.

Why is it my favorite trilogy? Well, perhaps it's because it was the first YA, dystopian book with some romance that I read. I also haven't read a ton of books because I wasn't into reading as much when I was younger... And perhaps I read it just at the right time in my life, but the trilogy basically changed my life. I read it about a year ago and am still obsessed. Amazing characters, the character development was amazing as well. It felt so real when I was reading that it almost felt unreal. Wonderful world building. I greatly admire the writer. She is fantastic at it. And the end... The end... It was beautiful and wonderful and tragic and heartbreaking and perfect all at the same time. I was heartbroken for two weeks afterwards, I swear. But I love things that make me feel something and I loved it. Definitely my favorite above all others.
Hear me out, there's so much more to life than what you're feeling now. Someday you'll look back on all these days, and all this pain is gonna be invisible. - Hunter Hayes

415 Reviews

Reviews: 415
Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:18 pm
keystrings says...

@Dragon99 - The Last Apprentice is a good series!

@Liveinthelight - Born to Run is such a great book!

Well, the best book I have read is many, but one of my favorites is Perks of Being a Wallflower! Why? The main character, Charlie, has to be one of the sweetest, cutest, special teenager ever to be created. I love him way too much! If you're at least in middle school, and aren't super immature, then this is a book for you.

Another book I really love is, as mentioned before, Born to Run was such a thrill to read. I really fell in love with all of the characters, and boy, was there a big variety. Great motivation to run!

Thirdly, the trilogy, The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare is a very big favorite of mine. To people who read and hated The Mortal Instruments I say: read this series instead! This one was so much more well done, and let me just say: "TessaxWillXJem" is an amazing ship of mine.

Fourthly, is the collection of stories, The Bane Chronicles, by Cassandra Clare, Maureen Johnson, and Sarah Rees Brennan, simply because of Magnus Bane. He is just the awesomest character ever that I love him so much, and ship him with Alec from TMI.

I could go on and on about really good books, but I must mention The Ranger's Apprentice even though I'm barely on book ten.

I love books! Haha. Thanks for reading, and have a lovely day!
name: key/string/perks
pronouns: she/her/hers and they/them/theirs

novel: the clocktower (camp nano apr 24)
poetry: the beauty of the untold (napo 2024)

522 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 522
Fri May 15, 2015 3:58 pm
View Likes
Lavvie says...

I wonder why the "Best Book You've Ever Read" thread is much less active than the "Worst Book You've Ever Read" thread. Do I sense some serious literary negativity on YWS? It's easier to hate than to love, but it's much better to love than to hate ;)

My all-time favourite book is Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë. I must have read it for the first time when I was maybe thirteen or fourteen, and I fell in love with it (in fact, it made me really fall in love with most classics). Not only is Jane a very strong, independent character with much insight, she is recognized as the first strong, female protagonist in British society at the time (so, by extension, Western society) and therefore represents a sort of initial fictional feminism, emancipated from the whims of men and society's expectations of certain genders. It's extraordinarily enthralling and wise in many ways, and well beyond it's years in terms of revolutionary literature.

What is to give light must endure burning. – Viktor Frankl

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Fri May 15, 2015 4:34 pm
TheSparringPanther says...

And then there were none by Agatha Christie

Incredibly engaging, I was genuinely left wondering who the culprit was... And more importantly, how they did it. Would definitely recommend it.
"Glory... Lies beyond the horizon!"
— Rider, Fate/Zero

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:07 am
View Likes
burninhell says...

Hard.... I'm gonna go with Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas. Simply because I just love the story, but there are about a million others that come close :)

472 Reviews

Reviews: 472
Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:02 am
View Likes
Lightsong says...

Currently, it's Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson. This novel is just so original and is a good example of high fantasy with a strong heroine. A close second is Warlock by the same author but maybe that would change when I read his The Emperor's Soul novel. ;)
"Writing, though, belongs first to the writer, and then to the reader, to the world.

The subject is a catalyst, a character, but our responsibility is, has to be, to the work."

- David L. Ulin

Reviews: 0
Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:20 pm
View Likes
Ariak says...

Definitely the Trylle Trilogy by Amanda Hocking. The characters are so intriguing you cant help but fall in love with and the story is so addictive it will keep you up all night.

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:37 pm
Remington38 says...

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury is my all time favorite book. After reading it you can't help but appreciate all of the books you have and suddenly are not a huge fan of fire ;) Then The Melancholy death of oyster boy and other stories by Tim Burton. His rhymes are genius and the stories only increase my love for the macabre.
Proud Reader of Banned Books

Answer to life, the universe, and everything: 42

Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.
Cesar Cruiz

Pluviophile- a lover of rain; someone who finds joy/peace of mind on rainy days.

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:47 pm
ChieTheWriter says...

My Side of the Mountain by Jean C. George. I literally read it in one day, then flipped back to the beginning and read it all over again. No joke.

EDIT 11/6/2017: It might be The Lord of the Rings now...
Last edited by ChieTheWriter on Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Nobody has an easy time in this world. Either you climb out of the muck and become a human being, or you die." - Josh Randall, Wanted: Dead or Alive

117 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 117
Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:09 pm
Featherstone says...

Even though it's a series, I would say The Belgariad by David Eddings. I love the interactions between the characters, the individuals' depth, how each and every character (even non main ones) have a backstory and personality that really comes out in how they act/interact with the characters and world around them. The cultures are diverse and it is very fleshed out. The plot is engaging, the writing style descriptive and easy to imagine.
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

he/him/his

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:25 pm
Zolen says...

Hitch hikers guide to the galaxy.

Best book series forever. All other book series pale in comparison.
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:34 pm
JadeBunny says...

I'm not sure what the absolute best is, but I enjoyed Where the Mountain Meets the Moon.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. -Benjamin Franklin

91 Reviews

Reviews: 91
Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:12 pm
AlyTheBookworm says...

I came here just to say that Words of Radiance is the best book I've ever read and it turns out SirLight got to it first. ;)

But yes, Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson has to be the absolute BEST book I've ever read- along with the other book in the series, The Way of Kings. And I've read a lot of books.

It has compelling and realistic characters.. The worldbuilding is very interesting and believable (It's Brandon- no surprise there). I've read all 1088 pages of it multiple times and I doubt I will ever get bored of it. It mixes the perfect amount of humor, action, twists, and emotions. For someone who has a lot of time, loves high fantasy, and requires good character-development in their fiction- this is my literal dream-book.

Journeys end in lovers' meeting.
— William Shakespeare