z

Young Writers Society

What is the Best Book you have read...

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:21 am
Lumi says...

Standing favorite is A Separate Peace by John Knowles.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

Random avatar

Reviews: 75
Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:28 pm
View Likes
MeisterChan says...

I'm not too sure about favourite, there are too many, but I'd say two of the best are probably Shiver by Maggie Stiefvator and The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins :D

80 Reviews

Reviews: 80
Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:29 pm
VegasLights says...

Favorite book is Legend or the Hunger games,can't decide
Previously Steam1244

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:50 am
View Likes
Starhunter says...

My all-time favorite book is "Howl's Moving Castle" by Diana Wynne Jones.

And yes, it is different from the movie.... I still can't watch it without feeling let down. (although it still looks pretty!)
Why do we fall?
So we can learn to pick ourselves up.

If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it. Anything you want to, do it!
Wanna change the world?
There's nothing to it.

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:42 am
SaveDodosNopeTooLate says...

The Black Order by James Rollins. I'm not a huge fan of sci fi but my fave book is sci fi. Yep, read it even if you don't like sci fi.
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." ~ Robin Williams

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:56 am
Machupicchu14 says...

Right now I have a clear idea of what the word "genius" means. So right, that genius is Alexandre Dumas and right now I'm reading The Count of Monte Cristo. And yes, this has become my favourite book along with of course, The Three Musketeers! They are two amazing books. :D
(The 1973 version of the Three Musketeers is excellent as well). :wink:
"I'd rather sink trying to be different, than stay afloat like everyone else"~SRK~

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:43 pm
View Likes
deleted221222 says...

The best book I've read is probably a Japanese web novel series called 'Kumo desu ga, Nani ka?' or 'I'm a spider, so what?' I had to read a fan translated version of it, however, so its grammar wasn't the best.

It stars a Japanese schoolgirl who is killed, sent to a video game fantasy world and reborn as a generic spider mob named Kumo. The series follows Kumo's journey of survival through a dungeon. There's no other named character besides her. And it's one of the tensest things I've ever read. And then there's the mid-plot twist, and everything is turned on its head. Literally, the entire reality of the story is broken. It's amazing.

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Sat May 26, 2018 6:42 am
View Likes
aulyasela3597 says...

The best book I ever read is The Years of the Voiceless by Okky Madasari. Absolutely phenomenal portrayal of two average women's lives under Suharto's New Order regime. There were some really heart-rending moments and I wanted to cry at some points. Fantastic writing.

Here's the synopsis...

"Marni is an illiterate Javanese woman who still practices ancestor worship. Through her offerings she finds her gods and puts forth her hopes. She knows nothing of the God brought in from that faraway land. Rahayu is Marni’s daughter, part of a new generation shaped by education and an easier life. She is a firm believer in God and in common sense. She stands against the ancestors, even against her own mother. To Marni, Rahayu is a soulless being. And to Rahayu, Marni is a sinner. Each lives according to her own creed, with nothing in common. Then come the sounds of the jackboots, constantly disrupting and destroying souls. They are the ones with the authority, the ones who play with power as they desire. They are the ones who can turn the skies and the fields red, and blood yellow, their guns ready to strike anywhere. Marni and Rahayu, these women from two generations who have never understood each other, finally find something in their lives that they agree on. Both are victims of those in power. Both fight against the guns."

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:42 am
View Likes
tgham99 says...

So far, the best book I've ever read is The Time Traveler's Wife, but this is definitely subject to change because I plan on reading a million more books throughout my lifetime.

The Time Traveler's Wife combines all of the aspects of fiction storytelling that I crave when I search for new books, and on a practical note, I like that it's on the longer side so it lasts me a while every time I want to re-read it.
"Writing well means never having to say, 'I guess you had to be there.'" -- Jef Mallett

♡ ♡ ♡

Reviews: 0
Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:01 pm
Riley Menhennitt says...

Dante "The Divine Comedy"
Salman Rushdy Midnight Children
Charles Darwin Origin of Species
JJ Rousseau “Social Contact”

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Sun May 01, 2022 4:50 pm
View Likes
fantasies says...

Gone, by Michael Grant.
not my favorite book, but the writing is absolutely incredible. violent, scary, and places haunting images in my mind, but i love the writing and it kept me engaged for the entire book. it’s amazing really.
i’m not dead, okay?

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sun May 01, 2022 6:23 pm
NewHope says...

... Spud... was really funny and heartbreaking. I don't know if many people know the book but I know in SA a lot of people know about it.
Swan Queen's little sister in-law/caretaker since 2022

1232 Reviews

Reviews: 1232
Sat May 21, 2022 1:29 pm
View Likes
MailicedeNamedy says...

My first choice would probably be my favourite book of all time, but on reflection, it's probably Daphne du Maurier's "Rebecca".

In itself, the book is neither original nor world-changing.

It has elements of drama, thriller and coming-of-age in it, but what excited me the most in the whole story is simply that you can so wonderfully put yourself in the narrator's character's shoes that you feel you are really there. You have such a clear insight into her head, the embarrassing moments, and the thoughts that it is just wonderful to read there and feel how it feels to be constantly "threatened" by the housekeeper Mrs Danvers or to simply feel uncomfortable in this big estate called Manderley she now is living in after the marriage.

What I particularly like is that it is worth reading again and again and also how the character actually grows up over the story, and grows out of herself, but constantly has to struggle with the dilemma of being too young or too inexperienced.
Reality is a prison and time is its guard

I´m just a random girl with gentle manners

Every bad voice in your head was once outside

A big mountain of sugar is too much for one man. I can see now why God portions it out in those little packets.
— Homer Simpson