z

Young Writers Society

The Edge Chronicles

Reviews: 4
Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:30 pm
danster724 says...

The Edge Chronicles are written by Paul Stewart, and illustrated (brilliantly) by Chris Riddell. These books follow the life of a young boy named Twig who was raised by wood-trolls, until the age of thirteen when he realised that was not where he belonged. In the first installment you follow Twig's journey through the Twilight woods, which is most unlike the other books in the series and is more of a prequel (but I loved it.) At the end of the first book Twig finds his father who pilots a Sky Ship, which is basically a flying pirate ship with no magic involved just fantasy science (another element that is brilliant.) So the following books chronicle the adventures of the ships crew through fantastic worlds. I said fantasy meets Dr. Seuss because the illustrations and names of the creatures are like a slightly more twisted Dr Seuss. This does not make the books corny an provides interesting looks to the different characters, giving a better sense of the world itself.
If you haven't read any of these books I strongly recommend you do.

I'm sorry this is my first review and I'm terrible at it.

Random avatar

Reviews: 11
Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:17 pm
chamberlainj says...

I started to read one of these one time when i was probably in 4th grade. And i lost the book and could not think of what the series was much. But yes these books are very very very good. Excelente.

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:57 am
Cobra says...

I've read all of the Edge Chronicles including the Lost Barkscrolls.
The corpses are piled high around. Blood carpets the floor and flames scorch away the last remnants of humanity. The screams of the damned echo in my head. I smile. I am home.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:23 am
POTAFan1973 says...

I'm reading the first one now. Its pretty good.
One person's craziness is another person's reality
-Tim Burton

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Fri May 06, 2011 5:33 pm
RedBird says...

The Edge Chronicles are probably my favorite series of all time. I basically grew up with them, as I read the first book when I was eight and waited eagerly for each subsequent release up until the last books, The Immortals, which came out in 2009. The world-building is gorgeous, and the fascinating creatures and settings are unforgettable. Stewart's character building is beautiful, especially in the Rook and Quint Trilogies, and I truly fell in love with some of the characters. Riddell's line drawings are absolutely brilliant, and their dispersal throughout each book gives the reader the sense of really and truly being immersed in the Edgeworld.
These books are some of the very finest fantasy in today's literature, and they have been the staple of my reading diet for almost a decade. I was really sad when the last book came out, because I never wanted this series to end. Luckily the Riddell-Stewart dream team have come up with a new fantasy series, Wyrmeweald, and I got my hands on it recently. It has everything that I loved about the Edge, and more, with more mature themes, and thus more mature characters. Can't wait for the second book in this new trilogy!
And remember...A portkey can be any sort of harmless object...A football...or a dolphin.
~Snape, AVPM

"You are the egg, you are the chrysalis, you are the progeny. You are the rot that falls from stars."
~Will Henry, on Typhoeus magnificum

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Wed May 18, 2011 1:03 pm
skermitz says...

I've Read 9 of them so far and loooooooooved them =)
They're so original and fun!!!!
YES! I loved them... :D
"Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R R Tolkien -
"real lies realize real lies"
"Wealth is a poor minds desire"
"Fall in love, not in line"

Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.
— Captain Jack Sparrow