z

Young Writers Society

The Alchemist

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:14 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

It may be that I have lower standards after reading "Three Cups of Tea", but this book is great. The writing is wonderful, though there were a couple small parts where it got a bit boring. However, the amazing thing is the character development. I felt so strongly for the main character that it's just kind of...wierd.

The book is about a Spainish boy who was sent to seminary until he was 16, but instead became a shepard so he could travel. He develops a crush on the daughter of a merchant he sells wool to. During his travels, he has the same dream twice: He is sheparding, as he always does, when a child begins playing with his sheep. Soon, the scene changes to the Egyptian Pyramids, where the child says to go there in order to find his treasure. He goes to a gypsie to hav the dream interpreted, and when he tells her, she simply says to give her one tenth of the treasure when he finds it.

I'll leave the rest out. The only annoying thing about this book is that it isn't devided into chapters. After the first, say, 50 pages, there's the end of part one. Other than that, it's an excellent book.

Oh, and I garuntee you'll start crying when you read the last line of part one.

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:37 pm
Silent music says...

NO, NO, NO. DONT TELL US! I WANT TO READ IT BY MY SELF! :D But it sounds perty good!
This is a story about a girl
Who cried a river and drowned the whole world.

In every single letter. In every single word. There will be a hidden message about a boy who loves a girl.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:41 pm
Clo says...

Start crying? I wouldn't say the book is even nearly that close to be moving in that sort of way - not to say it isn't a good book. It is a good book, and is very insightful and interesting. Yet, it also must be said it's very blunt to a bland point and has many tediously boring episodes.

I do still like this book though. I found it downright intriguing. I can't imagine I'd read it again though.
How am I not myself?

Reviews: 2
Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:38 pm
Arielle M. A says...

AH WOW the Alchemist is a great book...it was my introduction to Paulo Coelho, who is just brilliant, i can't say i was moved to tears but it was very insightful and it did have slightly life-altering effect on me!!!
DON'T LET THE BED BUGS BITE!! as u lie on your bed, your mind away in blissful peace...they come and attack your body, chomping off your flesh, digging into your skins crevices, eating you alive, while you lie there dreaming your dream.

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:32 am
thunder_dude7 says...

The end of part one is where he says to the [spoiler]crystal merchant, "I need money to buy some sheep." In other words, he's not going to the pyradmids![/spoiler] [spoiler]Though he does end up going anyway...[/spoiler]

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:36 pm
Miss_Mosh says...

Hrm...never read it, but I plan to. I heard somewhere that it was one of the best books ever written.

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Mon May 18, 2009 1:24 pm
WaterVyper says...

Eh, it's sort of bland. Reading it for class right now. I still think that it could be better, but it was translated so I guess it's fine. Just finished part 1, and for our final exams, we're going to have to write a bunch of essays about it. I'd say that I would be happy, but I really can't seem to get into it. I sometimes forget Santiago's name for a couple of pages, until I look at the synopsis at the back of the book.

But don't mind me, just passing through. I'm probably not going to touch it again after this...
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

Random avatar

Reviews: 47
Mon May 18, 2009 11:25 pm
quietloud798 says...

It's an amazing book, but I do admit that under strict circumstances it's like really, really slow.
I had to read it in like sections over two months.
It was very moving, but I don't believe I cried...
NaNoWriMo, ftw.

261 Reviews

Reviews: 261
Tue May 19, 2009 8:47 am
KnightlyAngel09 says...

Well, the only thing I've read by Paulo Coelho is a bunch of his short prose works in 'Like the Flowing River'. Eh, honestly, based on that I never bought a book by him again. I don't think his writing style is too good. At times it sounds like he's trying to infer wisdom with his words but it just comes out shallow or he's trying to use flowery language that also comes out shallow.

A friend of mine told me that isn't his fault though. It could be because his works are translated and it's difficult to translate idioms and metaphors and what not from one language to another.

Anyway, perhaps I shall try a longer work of his some time.
All that I'm after is a life full of laughter, as long as I'm laughing with you.:)

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Wed May 20, 2009 8:16 am
bailecielo says...

Here's the thing with Paulo Coehlo... people adore him, people hate him. I think it's because his works are simply not for everyone. People ought to read his books if they're interested in philosophy. I think the vagueness in his writing are simply misunderstood ideas he's trying to convey. It's not for people seeking entertainment. I agree with KnightlyAngel (hi-five bf!), the biggest problem is in the translation.

After reading (when i was like 9?10!?) the alchemist, i thought it was great. It made me think about things I never concerned myself about. But honestly, today, I can't say I even remember anything in the story! :[
"Love is the black of cliches" ~bailecielo'09~

106 Reviews

Reviews: 106
Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:04 pm
nixonblitzen says...

Yeah, I feel like at times it tries a little to hard to be deep and philosophy-ish. Especially at the beginning, I felt like I was getting bombarded with little packets of "wisdom" and I didn't know what to do with them.

I liked reading the book, but I don't understand people who say it's like the most influential book they've ever read. It changed their lives! I think it's an interesting life-view to think about, but I don't know how anyone could really model his life around its teachings.

However, I was watching Star Wars recently and thinking to myself, "The Force is like the language everyone speaks!"

I'd recommend it.
"He found his voice tended either to disappear or to come out too loud." -William Golding

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:53 pm
MaresAzulados says...

Yeah. I read it in Spanish. The book was so cute...
Scipio: Do you know what happens here after dark? Things little eyes should never, ever see.
Bo: We're not scared.
Scipio: Not scared? Well, aren't you the little tiger? RAWR!

88 Reviews

Reviews: 88
Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:35 pm
thegilliangill says...

This book is one of the best of its time. It was clear, precise and went to the point, and the description is just immaculate.

I read it for the first time when I was 10, but I never really understood it, and so after seeing this post, I decided to reread it again - boy am I glad I did? Indeed so!

I guess when your 10, books are either good or not, or if you don't understand them and you think you do it makes you look clever. Well I remember thinking, when I read it for the first time - I have no idea what this is about - but it makes me look clever. But it really didn't, you have to understand it and be able to explain it.

Although I am 15 now, I still don't fully understand it, it seems like such an easy concept to grasp, but there are two levels to this book!

I really recommend it and it is in my top 10, and seeing as I tend to read about 5 books a week! There is a lot to compare it to
:D
~TheGillianGill~

There's a bright light, see it in the distance? It's called your future.

Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you'll start having positive results.
— Willie Nelson