z

Young Writers Society

The Mist - A Novella by Stephen King

Reviews: 1
Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:51 am
BlnkErik says...

I recently read 'The Mist', which is a novella by Stephen King (but I am unsure of the title of the anthology it derives from).

I believe Stephen King is a fascinating writer, and his description of setting, character, and theme allows me to delve into his books with a more 'greater' perspective of where he acquires his ideas and how he displaces them.

However, with it being a novella at around 200 or so pages, 'The Mist' did not succeed with fully grasping me. I believe it may have been because King (in a way) dragged out a story that could have been told in a shorter manner, but used intense descriptions and prolonged speech to diminish a setting to its core.

I rate this book (even though IT IS a novella) a 7.5 / 10 - YOUR AVERAGE NOVEL. It has a good storyline, excellent character development, and even [spoiler]unique descriptions of the other worldly beings that become part of the supermarket-evil mist fiasco.[/spoiler] However, the overall book did not see to become what a superior novel represents (I do give it some "slack" for being a novella from an anthology, though).

SIDE NOTE: I saw 'The Mist' movie after reading the book, and I must say, I REALLY enjoyed the movie. There were several differences and comparisons, but I seemed to feel more connected to the film, with the visual display of [spoiler]character's personalities, exotic creatures, and thematic elements detailing catastrophe between the protagonists themselves, and religious counterparts.[/spoiler] Oh, and also because I LOOOOOOVE movies and everything about them, even better than any book, any day!

This is my first review.
Sorry if it is...HORRID! :roll:

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:59 am
Clo says...

We're not strict in the Book Review section - you can really say whatever you want.

I read the Mist, and I enjoyed it up until the end section. The end was meandering and pointless - who cares? There was no real conclusion.

Though many people seem to show distaste when it comes to the movie ending, I heard about how it ends and I thought that this seemed better because at least it's a (horrifying) but effective ending which the novella lacks.

I did enjoy it though. It was certainly interesting, with its supermarket setting. So I agree with you mostly.
How am I not myself?

Reviews: 1
Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:03 am
BlnkErik says...

I think what Stephen King was trying to do was to get the reader to determine an ending of their own. Make up one based off of what they had read after finishing the book. I think that's why, not too sure though...

And yeah, I also enjoyed the supermarket-esque setting, and how the real "enemy" to the main character, David, ( as well as everyone else in the supermarket) was each other. Made it feel less like a horror novella, and more like a suspenseful drama (kind of like Lord of the Flies, where savagery becomes key to their survival).

Anyways, thanks for the reply! :D

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:34 am
AspiringAuthorA..M. says...

I loved that short.

I wish it had been longer. :(
"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
-John 11:25-26

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:15 am
Laurence Branson says...

Can't say I've read the novella but I have seen the movie. And I do NOT recommend it. haha
The worse thing I can be is the same as everybody else.
A.S.

More than anything she wanted the world to be uncomplicated, for right and wrong to be as easily divided as the black and white sections of an Oreo. But the world was not a cookie.
— Roshani Chokshi, Aru Shah and the Tree of Wishes