z

Young Writers Society

Worst Book You've Ever Read

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:42 am
Clo says...

I forget what it's called, but it's about a gay guy who meets a gay ghost, sleeps with said gay ghost, and proceeds to solve the mystery about the gay ghost's death.

I don't understand how a ghost can have sex. Even my imagination is like, "I got nothing". They're ectogoo.

And I agree with the Silmarion. That... what was that?
How am I not myself?

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:47 am
ScriboErgoSum says...

We can't say Eragon, Harry Potter, or Twilight? Aww. Those are my big three.

I didn't like The Thorn Birds. (Forgot the author's name.) It might have been ok - the setting was good, the writing style wasn't horrible, and some parts of the plot were interesting - but the author had this tendency to kill characters off, seemingly at random, in the most melodramatic ways. It drove me CRAZY.

Also, the Artemis Fowl series annoys me. Intensely. How is anybody supposed to like the snotty main character? And the author seems to think a lot of himself. I just get that impression from his smart-alecky writing style. Grrrrr.

Luckily, there are more good books than bad books out there!

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:03 am
HC says...

Old Scores. Very poorly written, and compared to the likes of Dave Pelzer's A Child Called It. I'm not one to talk, but the dialogue was horrendously fake.

Also, The Shadowmancer. I practically fell asleep during the first chapter. And yet it received rave reviews. Maybe you had to get through the first few chapters to get to the good bits? But I couldn't inflict such pain on myself, so I'm not trying.

Bit upset to hear Artemis Fowl mentioned! I'm very, very ashamed to say I LOVE those books -- mostly ashamed since they are probably meant for a slightly younger audience. But good books nonetheless. Have yet to read the Time Paradox, so I can't really say anything about that... As for how anyone can like little Arty -- you just kind of wish you were that smart, I guess. And his humane side does come out a bit more in the Arctic Incident.

Agreeing on Lord of the Rings. V. hard to read. I never finished chapter 3.

It's a shame I can't say Eragon or Twilight. >_>

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:00 am
Rubric says...

Madame Bovary. Although I'm sure there are guys out there who like it, and chicks who don't, the general decider on this one seems to be gender. It *does* seem to me that more girls dislike it than guys like it.

And while I've only read up to the Opal Deception for Artemis Fowl, I'll defend it to the figurative death.

Eldest was shocking (and isn't eragon).
So you're going to kill a god. Sure. But what happens next?

Diary of a Deicide, Part One.

Got YWS?

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:37 am
Lauren says...

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory. I'm serious. Worst thing I've ever read. I got it for Christmas.

I've got that. It wasn't great but it was all right. I take it you didn't see the movie, then? 8)

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:06 am
Bickazer says...

Dexter in the Dark, mostly because it took a beautifully-executed character (Dexter) and MURDERED him. No pun intended, but...really. I think the worst kind of book isn't one that's bad from the outset, but one that starts off with potential and ruins it, or worse, takes a good character and destroys them. Poor Dexter.
Ah, it is an empty movement. That is an empty movement. It is.

1258 Reviews

Reviews: 1258
Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:39 am
Sam says...

Haha, all the worst books I've ever read I've had to read were for English class.

- Interstellar Pig, by William Sleator
- The Iliad
- Death of a Salesman
- A Raisin in the Sun
- Anything Jodi Picoult and/or Lurlene McDaniel.

I'm sure there's more, I'm just not remembering them at present. XD
Graffiti is the most passionate form of literature there is.

- Demetri Martin

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:37 pm
Stori says...

Rubric, I agree with you on Eldest. (And hey, it's technically not Eragon, right?)

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:10 pm
W says...

The Maximum Ride series. I swear, his writing style is a dumbed down HP minus the captivating characters/plot. The narrator Max constantly compares every over-the-top action scene "like it was a MOVIE!!" and has ever so convient plot devices pop up out of nowhere so they can travel the country to solve the mystery of their labratory past when I hardly care about the characters themselves. It feels like a third-person script to me.

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:50 pm
Aet Lindling says...

Well, I dunno what to say besides Twilight. :P It hurt me physically, and that's the complete truth.
dun worry
it's all gun be k

68 Reviews

Reviews: 68
Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:18 pm
sofi says...

Cade: I actually really liked The Other Boleyn Girl. I thought it was very interesting, I enjoyed it a lot. I quite like historical stuff. I'm a bit of a history geek after english haha.

Worst book ever: Lord Of The Flies, hands down! It's the only book I've ever not been able to finish. I hated every second.
'Don't you just love these long rainy afternoons in New Orleans when an hour isn't just an hour but a little bit of Eternity dropped into your hands- and who knows what to do with it?'
T.W.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:22 pm
jasmine12 says...

I agree with Sofi on this one. Lord of the Flies in my opinion is a huge snore fest!!!
"Sometimes the worst bad guy makes the best good guy." Nigel--Untouched

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:35 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

The Iliad

*Screams*

I LOVE that book! How dare you insult it! Grr...

Sorry. I just really enjoyed it.

Reviews: 0
Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:12 pm
Blue-Orange says...

I agree with Lord of the Flies. I had to read that for English and we watched the film, it's awful.

I also didn't like Shadowmancer and GP Taylor's other book . . . Wormwood? They were so boring and I didn't like the characters or care about them and the description was really dull.

Goosebumps . . . Now those books did my head in. They were so . . . Unscary, predictable and just stupid.

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:18 pm
View Likes
Prokaryote says...

Man, yo, what's with all the Lord of the Flies hate? It's a solid book.

Prokaryote

Life's short; smile while you still have teeth.
— Tuesday