z

Young Writers Society

Worst Book You've Ever Read

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:20 pm
thestorygirl says...

The Westing Game. If you ever see it on the shelf at your library, follow these life-saving instructions.

Instructions

1. Run away screaming and sue the library for owning that book.

Seriously. It was an intensly boring and confusing book.
Nella vita vi è la distruzione, desolazione nella morte, ma c'è speranza nella rivoluzione.

Random avatar

Reviews: 161
Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:07 pm
View Likes
kayfortnight says...

If you have a kindle, be very, very careful downloading any free fantasy. About 50% of that stuff sucks, 5% is great, and 45% are enjoyable but nothing special. One of the ones I read, the plot meandered all over and they took a jump of maybe 200 years in the middle of the book, and the two halves didn't have anything to do with each other, and...let's just say it was in the 'suck' percentage.
This account proudly supports lgbt* rights.

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:57 pm
View Likes
Epicdonkalous says...

This is a older thread, but my god, was Pride and Prejudice one of the worst, most boring books I have ever tried to read. I might go back and try to actually -finish- it, but as of now, terrible.

But the worst book I have ever had the misfortune of reading, was "Kissed by an Angel" by Elizabeth Chandler. I was at a bookstore, it was a super thick book, so I grabbed it. INSTANT REGRET. It's like three short novels put together, and it's just terrible. It centers around a girl being creeped on by her brother in law or some nonsense, who tries to kill her, but Tristan (MC's dead bf) uses his powers to save her, then becomes an angel while she falls deeply in love with a guy mentioned like twice.

Terrible.
"... syphon the white from my heart, lick the wine from my lips and enjoy the deconstruction of me"

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:13 am
AmourDevorant says...

I dislike anything I've ever read by George Orwell. He's too blunt, there is nothing left to the imagination.

Tess of the D'Urbervilles almost killed me. It was assigned in high school as summer reading, and that along with Jane Eyre almost extinguished any interest in reading I had. I saw the Jane Eyre movie and decided to give it another try, and I actually love the book! But I. Will. Not. Touch. Tess. Everagaininmywholelonglife.

I didn't really start reading until I left college, so I don't have too many to add to this list. I have an uncanny ability at picking good books >.> I've only ever put a handful of books back unread, mainly books centering around Japan.

1.) Tales of the Otori = hokey piece of poop. It takes place in Japan/NotJapan, where everything is totally Japanese except where Japanese customs did not suit the author's purpose.

2.) The Teahouse Fire: Most of this book was spent explaining Japanese customs rather than telling a (very outlandish) story.

3.) The Kimono Mind. This was a book given to me by a friend, and it is an antiquated (racist) guidebook to Japan. The author is a non-Japanese visiting Japan, and basically looking at everything the land offers with the most stubborn outsider's view I've ever seen. Nothing is mean or nasty in the book, but the author views the Japanese as quaint little unnecessary creatures of a peculiar foreign land with nothing to offer white people in the way of art or manners or philosophy...

4.) Monster Blood Tattoo: I want to like this series, I really do; but I spent more time in the glossary than I did the story.
忍ぶれど色にいでにけりわが恋はものや思ふと人の問ふまで
― 平兼盛

“If I seem to wander, if I seem to stray,
remember that true stories seldom take the straightest way.”
― Kvothe, in The Name of the Wind

What were the use of my creation if I were entirely contained here?

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:58 am
Rurouni says...

Uhhh... So hard.
You are going to hate me: The Hunger Games
Why: The idea is mind boggiling, I love the writing, but, killing children, its not cool. I know why they dl the Games, I read all three, but, killing children, is horrible. I love the book, the plot, Peeta, Katniss, but its the killing of children that gets md.

Maximum Ride; Nevermore
Why: I HATE the ending note, spoiler, how the book ends, a tsumi. Really? And, Fang could've saved both of their butts! Other than that, I love it, I constantly re-read my fave parts.

I don't have any other than these two, maybe Mockingjaym but I liked it. I love the MR series, its just the ending of the series.
Cookies!

51 Reviews

Reviews: 51
Fri May 10, 2013 12:39 pm
sphealwithit says...

Having read a number of books in my life time I have come across some bad ones. For starters I apologise to anyone who will be offended by what I'm about to say. The mortal Instruments were probably the worst books I've read. I didn't manage to get past the third chapter in any of them and it's not that their badly written it's the story, it's just not engaging. I love the supernatural (self confessed paranormal freak) but this just didn't come across as that exciting. Again sorry if I have offended anyone.

Ps. They aren't as bad as 50 shades of grey so atlast they have that.
"Nothing can suppress a humans curiosity"

187 Reviews

Reviews: 187
Mon May 13, 2013 3:56 pm
ChocoCookie says...

I don't know why anyone would hate Harry Potter. Its at least better than dumb Percy Jackson (Copy cats e.e), LOTR, Eragon, TWILIGHT(OHMYLORD,IHATETHATBOOK).

*clears throat* Ahem. Anyway, not boasting. Just obsessed with Harry Potter.
But the WORST Book I have EVER, EVER, EVER read is...

The number one position goes to 50 Shades Of Grey. Extremely bad, disgusting, bad author, god knows what made him write it, I think it shouldn't have published at all at the first place. Too bad for words. Ugh.

Then, comes Twilight. DUH. :/

Then P.S: I love you by Cecelia Ahern, Pride and Prejudice, etc;.
I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.

New to YWS? We'll help you out! <3'

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:47 pm
fire_of_dawn says...

I think the worst book I ever read (or partially read) was Little Men. It just had too much sweetness and light; by the time I put it down, I was mentally yelling, "Where's the conflict?"

It hasn't exactly improved my opinion of European literature. Let's just leave it at that.
"Do? I'll tell you what we'll do! We'll be ready!"
Matthias, from Redwall

"Life consists of doing the impossible."
Brother Fir, The Heir of Mistmantle

49 Reviews

Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:06 pm
wakarimasen says...

thestorygirl wrote:The Westing Game. If you ever see it on the shelf at your library, follow these life-saving instructions.

Instructions

1. Run away screaming and sue the library for owning that book.

Seriously. It was an intensly boring and confusing book.

I read it awhile back and found it to be confusing as well, but after rereading it and figuring out the logic behind it (yes, there is actually some!) it made so much more sense!

It wasn't one of my favorites, but I enjoyed it.

49 Reviews

Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:09 pm
wakarimasen says...

Off the top of my head, I think I have to go with Jacob Have I Loved. It was just sickening. Stealing Shakespeare comes in second. It was very racist.

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:10 pm
View Likes
Zolen says...

@ChocoCookie 50 shades of grey is a fetish book that was originally a fan fic of Twilight, why the heck is anyone reading it out in the open, most people (used to) avoid telling strangers what kind of adult lit they read. You are not old enough to be reading a fetish book.

1.)The Great Gatsby (for highschool) - Boring

2.)Fahrenheit 451 (for highschool) - Was okay, perhaps a tad interesting, but not something I would EVER read again.

3.)Pride and Prejudice (for highschool) - ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, I gave up and switched to the "and zombies" version, omitting anything that had to do with zombie killing in the paper we were expected to do, and got an A.

4.)The Sun Also Rises (for college) - it was like I was being forced to read the fantasies of a teen drug addict.
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

Random avatar

Reviews: 328
Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:22 pm
deleted30 says...

It's surprising how many horrible books are out there. I've read plenty, so many in fact I can't even remember which one I hated the most.

When I was in second grade, our teacher read us a book about... actually, I can't even remember. Suffice it to say all the seven-year-olds in my class hated it so much she had to stop reading it to us pretty much right away. XD

I also read something that had "faux-mance" in the title when I was about twelve. Awful. I couldn't get through it.

Also, Bliss by Lauren Myracle and Shine by the same author. Both were predictable and bizarre (in a bad way). I like a lot of her books, but every now and again she writes one that sucks.

There's so, so, so many more, but I honestly have no clue what their titles were or what they were about because I've blocked them out of my memory.

The good thing about reading a bad book, though, is that it gives me hope I'll get published one day; if novels that horrible can make it to the shelf, why can't something of mine? :D

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:45 pm
CowLogic says...

@ShadowWings
You are going to hate me: The Hunger Games
Why: The idea is mind boggiling, I love the writing, but, killing children, its not cool. I know why they dl the Games, I read all three, but, killing children, is horrible. I love the book, the plot, Peeta, Katniss, but its the killing of children that gets md.

I agree that the Hunger Games leaves a lot to be desired (wouldn't say it's the worst book) except for very different reasons.

lol @Zolen
"3.)Pride and Prejudice (for highschool) - ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, I gave up and switched to the "and zombies" version, omitting anything that had to do with zombie killing in the paper we were expected to do, and got an A."
That is amazing.
The course skin of a thousand elephants sewn together to make one leather wallet.

621 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 621
Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:10 am
Rook says...

I try my very hardest not to read horrible books. I like about 98% of the books that I read. The only books (that I can remember) that I read all the way through and hated were
1) The Diviners - It was written well, and was intriguing, but it seriously disturbed me. Like, I was /disturbed./

2) The Chosen - Mostly because it was a forced-school-summer-reading book. The beginning was okay, but I realized that I just didn't care when I was about 1/7th of the way through it.

I have started to read other books that were sooooo much worse than these, but I usually know a bad book at the beginning is gonna be a bad one by the end, so I put those down.
Instead, he said, Brother! I know your hunger.
To this, the Wolf answered, Lo!

-Elena Passarello, Animals Strike Curious Poses

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:41 am
TriSARAHtops says...

There actually very few books that I hated. Plenty of 'meh' books but not many truly awful ones.
That said, I truly despised Teardrop by Lauren Kate. It was leant to me by my local bookshop and I got halfway through the prologue and wanted to give up. Then I decided to give it another chance and got partway through chapter one before putting it down cos I wanted to hurl it across the room in revulsion. Never hated a book before but this one madw me want gouge my eyes out as I was reading it. It sucked bigtime.
if we wait until we're ready
we'll be waiting
for the rest of our lives

A Prince of Darkness Is a Gentleman
— William Shakespeare