z

Young Writers Society

Worst Book You've Ever Read

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Thu May 27, 2010 3:12 am
AspiringAuthorA..M. says...

The Lovely Bones.

The narrator is boring, and her family's reactions to her death are so cliche. And just why exactly did a, however old the girl was, decide to have sex with a grown man when she had the opportunity to return back to Earth, instead of seeing her family again? The book had bland scenic descriptions and was just horrendous through out. The killer was a joke and the protagonist was like a creepy peeping Tom, watching people's lives from her heaven.

I mean really, she watched her sister have sex, some random teacher, her mother, with a guy who wasn't her husband. And the author called it, "merciful adultery." I mean really, that is such a ridiculous term for such a thing. Why the book was so popular? I have no idea.
Last edited by AspiringAuthorA..M. on Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
-John 11:25-26

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Thu May 27, 2010 3:50 am
lunahlove says...

I loathe these books with a passion:

Hatchet
Julie of The Wolves
Anything by Henry James
2 out of 3 of the unspeakables mentioned in the first post (I'll let you guess which one I like ;D)

Yeah.
Also, I would like to add one thing:
I LIKE Artemis Fowl. A lot. A lot a lot. And Maximum Ride is just a fun read. Admittedly it's stupid at some points, but it's good for picking up at say, an airport or a long drive, when you don't really need to focus too much and just need to rest your eyes on something constant.
I am awesome don't even deny it
I love Harry Potter more than you.

206 Reviews

Reviews: 206
Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:46 pm
LadyPurple says...

One book I read made me think god would strike me down on the spot. Nobodys princess by I don't remember. I thought I'd like it for the fighting and even though it was Sparta It was medieval and I love those kind of stories about medieval times. But the main character, some beautiful strong heroine princess, talked so much about gods and goddesses! I couldn't go a page without the princess saying something like "I prayed to Adonis" or whoever it was.
Also The Killer's Wife by Bill Floyd. The story was long and It took me 20 minutes to decipher exactly what was happening. The narration was super confusing and The story was patchy.
You're new? Great seas! Why haven't you gone to the Buddy System yet?

You're dealing with writers. The words "normal" and "usual occurrence" do not compute.
~Rosey Unicorn

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:07 pm
rygel says...

The worst book I've ever read was... Debatable Space. I can't remember the author's name since it has been so long since I read it. The characters were too basic for the novel and the story kept jumping back and forth so long it was hard to keep up with it

168 Reviews

Reviews: 168
Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:21 pm
LastPaladin says...

rygel wrote:The worst book I've ever read was... Debatable Space. I can't remember the author's name since it has been so long since I read it. The characters were too basic for the novel and the story kept jumping back and forth so long it was hard to keep up with it

A brief look up on Google told me it was by Philip Palmer http://www.amazon.co.uk/Debatable-Space ... 1841496197

One book I read made me think god would strike me down on the spot. Nobodys princess by I don't remember. I thought I'd like it for the fighting and even though it was Sparta It was medieval and I love those kind of stories about medieval times. But the main character, some beautiful strong heroine princess, talked so much about gods and goddesses! I couldn't go a page without the princess saying something like "I prayed to Adonis" or whoever it was.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/f/est ... incess.htm
You poor take courage
You rich take care
This earth was made a common treasury
For everyone to share
All things in common
All people one
We come in peace
The orders came to cut them down

Billy Bragg - The World Turned Upside Down

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:05 pm
bluewaterlily says...

I don`t care that I` not suppose to say it, but Twilight is the WORST book ever written!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Vampires?
Seriously! How cliche! *rolls eryes and makes gagging nose*
"A poet is, before anything else, a person who is passionately in love with language." - W.H. Auden

Reviews: 3
Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:17 am
Pritt says...

bluewaterlily wrote:Vampires?
Seriously! How cliche! *rolls eryes and makes gagging nose*

They didn't become cliche until SM started the craze. ;)
When I was about eight I read this book called "Little Darlings" by some guy whose name I don't recall. It was supposed to be a children's book (the premise was a kind of mixture of Lemony Snicket and Nanny McPhee) but even as a kid I could tell it was crap. The beginning was funny, three rich kids with estranged parents use miscellaneous deadly weapons to try to get their nannies fired, but then some stuff happened with a cruise boat and a teddy bear and the plotline seemed to end there. It's just not right, confusing childrens' little minds like that.

I would also like to add that in the span of two years I read every Artemis Fowl book approximately sixty gazillion times.
That is all.
"The next person that offers me pity will be mentioned by name in my suicide note."
- Jeff Winger

:o!

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:31 pm
Hibiscus says...

"100 Years of Solitude" by Marquez.
Worst book ever written... I'm serious... I hated it, hated reading it, more like trying to force myself to read it. It was just... boring and terrible and depressing... and I DID NOT LIKE IT.
The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Got Support~?
viewgroup.php?f=336

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:40 pm
austenite says...

I've got a few books that are my worst ever read.

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad - a boring load of drivel about a man trying to sound metaphorical while talking about darkness and night while riding on a boat up the Congo River with a black crazy woman in search of a crazy man.

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood - just wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong and wrong!!

How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff - a very strange, very weird book about a girl's relationship with her cousin when war breaks out. Not very descriptive and very bland and just purely wrong.
I will eviscerate you in fiction. Every pimple, every character flaw. I was naked for a day; you will be naked for eternity.
Chaucer, A Knight's Tale

Deceiving others. That is what the world calls a romance.
Oscar Wilde

333 Reviews

Reviews: 333
Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:55 pm
retrodisco666 says...

A book called the left hand of god.

I bought it was then like, what the hell is this on about.
'I have loved to the point of madness, which for me is the only true way to love'
~Francoise Sagan

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:25 am
Ladynagrom says...

I'd have to go with You are so undead to me. Dear God, I kind of liked it at the beginning, but the farther I got into it, the more I wanted to put it down and just stop.

Also, there was this anthology called Witch High. Wonderful book, but of course there was one bad apple. It was the last story. The story started by describing about how gorgeous the character was, and how she was the most powerful kid in the school and how all of the students were scared of her and noone wanted to be her friend. Mope, mope, mope. I put it down after the first page. Yes, that was the first page. I couldn't really fathom reading anymore. It made me kind of sad to finish such a wonderful book on such a bad note, but if a story is bad, it's bad. And that story was.

Obviously I dislike the Witch High one more, but I wasn't sure it would count since it was only a short story...
"I take a long time in the bathroom. It's what girls do. Excuse me for my gender." - Me to my brother

522 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 522
Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:45 am
Lavvie says...

The Princess Bride by William Goldman. No structure whatsoever. Just rambled on on....

What is to give light must endure burning. – Viktor Frankl

111 Reviews

Reviews: 111
Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:56 pm
Kiwisatsuma says...

"100 Years of Solitude" by Marquez.
Worst book ever written... I'm serious... I hated it, hated reading it, more like trying to force myself to read it. It was just... boring and terrible and depressing... and I DID NOT LIKE IT.

I read '100 Years of Solitude' and didn't really enjoy it. It was quite interesting I suppose, but it was very odd, and not odd in a good way, just odd in an odd way. I guess magical realism just isn't a genre I really like.

I had to read 'Lorna Doon' for English once and it was AWFUL. It was written in the 17th century or something and it took me about an hour to read ten pages and the plot was really cliched. Well, I suppose it might not have been cliched when it was written but I found it really boring.

Reviews: 0
Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:54 am
View Likes
miroirnoir95 says...

So, I've read quite a few bad books in my day, unfortunately.

Now, the worst has GOT to be The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barberry. Basically it's about these two people: a twelve year old girl and an aging concierge, both who (live/work) in a Paris hotel. Basically, they complain about how much smarter they are than everyone else, and complain about "snobs"...when they're the biggest snobs of all. The funny thing is, they're TERRIFIED of being smart. They try to hide it. The most "suspenseful" scene in the book involves the concierge almost being caught reading a book on philosophy in an apartment she broke into. There's also this bizarre, disturbing fetishism of Japanese culture.

Just all around, an awful, pretentious book.
Sometimes I wonder if the world's so small
That we can never get away from the sprawl

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:38 pm
FRAYEDjade says...

I'd have to say Julie of the Wolves, I forced myself to read it in 4th grade for AR points.
My Side of the Mountain, as you can see I'm not a Jean Craighead George fan.
Skinned by Robin Wasserman, it was the most depressing book ever. Started depressing, got slightly less depressing, then ended more depressing than ever.
We revel in the unabashed glory of the mind meeting a page.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
— Groucho Marx