z

Young Writers Society

Worst Book You've Ever Read

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:10 pm
Clo says...

I read many brilliant books - and then there's a few that are so mind-numbingly awful that I feel like I wasted my mental energy reading them.

For now, I'm going to say The Thin Place by Kathryn Davis. It was a short read of transcendental... nothing.

PS: Don't say Harry Potter, Eragon, or Twilight. Everybody's heard those a million times before.
How am I not myself?

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:16 pm
Ego says...

I don't read bad books. I set them down and back away slowly.

But seriously...I dunno. I've never really read a book I walked that I've walked away from with nothing.
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

Reviews: 4
Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:17 pm
goldcomet says...

Ishmael. Its about a monkey (that talks) that tells the world how mankind is viewed from another perspective (Stranger in a Strange Land??) a whole bunch of philosophical fluff, basically.

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:17 pm
Icaruss says...

I'm tempted to say Lord of the Rings. I mean, the narrative is so boring that I just don't know how anyone can actually like those books. Then again, the story is sublime. Tolkien is a bit like Stan Lee. They are both pretty bad writers, but their creativity just blows you away. They can come up with great ideas and stories, but just don't know how to put them down on the page. So... I would say Lord of the Rings, but it's not the worst thing in the world.

I haven't really read bad books. It's not like movies where you go to the movies not knowing anything about it, and have to sit through it. If I don't like it, I just put it down. And I only read books that I'm pretty sure I'm going to like. I don't buy whatever I get my hands on. The only thing I actually remember reading all the way, and then say: "That was terrible," was the fifth Harry Potter book. I thought that was, honestly, really bad.

But since I've been forbidden to say that also, well... I don't know.
Last edited by Icaruss on Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
there are many problems in our times
but none of them are mine

344 Reviews

Reviews: 344
Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:22 pm
View Likes
Eimear says...

My first book I ever wrote.

It was horrendous, really, very bad.

However I hear the writer is very good looking so that makes up for it.

XD
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde.

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:24 pm
View Likes
Blink says...

I'm tempted to say Lord of the Rings.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHH!

Take it back!

EDIT: Sorry, just recovered.

I have to say Eragon.... *shivers* Characters are flat, bad author and it's like reading Star Wars... in Middle-Earth.
Last edited by Blink on Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:26 pm
Teague says...

Twilight.

Oh, don't say that?

Then The Brief History of the Dead by Kevin Brockmeier. An interesting concept, but very poorly executed.

Oh, and An American Childhood by Anne Something-or-other. Intensely boring. Intensely.

-:pirate3:
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:01 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

Eragon...Wait, we can't say that?

OK, uh...hmm...uh...

Wow...I think Eragon is the only BAD book I've read.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:20 pm
Clo says...

I'm sorry for saying no HP, Twilight and Eragon, but haven't you people already gotten it out of your system? It's universal knowledge that many readers greatly dislike those books. There's threads on it, forums on it... sigh. Sorry, I KNOW you people read other books, haha.

I agree with Lord of the Rings. It was dull, and I don't even know I managed to read it all. Sometimes I wonder if it would be less boring if it was read aloud?
How am I not myself?

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:26 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

Now that you mention it, Lord of the Rings is a great book... but really, there's a lot of:

"You must set out on a great quest! But first, let me tell you about my elven ancestors..."

It's kind of a pain.

157 Reviews

Reviews: 157
Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:33 am
alwaysawriter says...

Artemis Fowl by Eion Colfer (The beginning was too confusing)

Old Yeller by Fred Gipson (Way too sad and it bored me halfway through)

Twilight.
(I'm sick of hearing about it and I heard that although the characters were captiviating or something, her actual writing was horrible so I'd probably get annoyed anyway.)

I'm tempted to say Lord of the Rings.
(I love LOTR but that's mainly because my dad does too and it's kind of been drilled into me, whether I like it or not.)
Meshugenah says to (18:12:36):
Kat's my new favorite. other than Sachi.

WWJD: What Would Jabber Do?

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:25 pm
Lauren says...

There are a lot of basically unheard-of authors that somehow managed to fall under my radar as a twelve-year-old-ish.
One was Anne Cassidy. At one time, I had all her books and each were truly attrocious. It was all: he said, she said, she did this, this happened. Just awfully written to the point of tedium. The worst? Probably 'Baby Blues' about a teenage pregnancy that really goes nowhere.
There have been others. Like 'Red Tears' by Joanna Kenrick(?) which was a long-winded, badly-written story about some girl who cuts herself to make herself feel powerful. It would have been all right as a short story but it was about 200-pages. Completely dragged.

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:31 pm
xxfourthelement says...

I don't think I've ever read anything truly bad. Besides Eragon, which I disliked simply because the style reminds me of my own before I studied any writing at all. (Meaning he wrote it like a fourteen-year-old twerp.)

Usually, if I come across something that sucks, I give up on it and forget about it. I've read a lot of good stuff to make up for it.

Although there was that one book. I forget what it's called, but it's about a gay guy who meets a gay ghost, sleeps with said gay ghost, and proceeds to solve the mystery about the gay ghost's death. Nothing against homosexuals - it was a good plot, but the sex stuff was a) too much for a YA novel and b) rather creepy - how do you have sex with a ghost, anyways?
"...I laugh, and laugh, and laugh. Sometimes I can stop laughing before people start edging away and talking about soothing drinks." - Lord Raould of Goldenlake and Malorie's Peak

Free Reviews

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:38 pm
Firestarter says...

Moby Dick and The Silmarillion.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

758 Reviews

Reviews: 758
Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:41 pm
Cade says...

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory. I'm serious. Worst thing I've ever read. I got it for Christmas.

I don't like memoirs, for the most part, which is probably why I don't read them. I read The Color of Water by James McBride for a summer reading assignment and I thought it was terrible. Other people thought I had no soul because I said that. But honestly. It was terrible.

And basically all teen lit I've ever read, with a handful of exceptions. But teen lit is sort of defined by its own awful-ness.

Ishmael. Its about a monkey (that talks) that tells the world how mankind is viewed from another perspective (Stranger in a Strange Land??) a whole bunch of philosophical fluff, basically.

I loved Ishmael...it's thought-provoking. I think I might have even liked My Ishmael better...it's sort of a parallel story, about another person--a twelve-year-old girl--visiting Ishmael.
"My pet, I've been to the devil, and he's a very dull fellow. I won't go there again, even for you..."

“Can a magician kill a man by magic?” Lord Wellington asked Strange. Strange frowned. He seemed to dislike the question. “I suppose a magician might,” he admitted, “but a gentleman never could.”
— Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell