z

Young Writers Society

Worst Book You've Ever Read

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:45 am
Livinginfantasy says...

Well, I can't give a truly accurate answer because like some posters put, whenever I start reading a book I don't like, I throw it over my shoulder.

There's this one book I can't stand. It was given to me by my 5th grade teacher for good behavior. And I tried to give it a chance, really I did! I sat there and really tried to concentrate and like it... especially since I had an experience where I started to not like a book because of too much dialogue, but as I read on, I finished and actually enjoyed it.

But sadly, I couldn't get past the first 5 pages. The Dark Hills Divide by Patrick Carman. You know, that first book in The Land Of Elyon Series. Some of my friends said they really like it and that they can't believe I think it sucks.

I can't believe they'd waste their time with that thing... as well as the other books in the series.

168 Reviews

Reviews: 168
Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:38 am
scasha says...

Yeah I agree with the above poster. The characters in that book were flat. I got about 20 pages in and put it back on the shelf. It was a big dissappointment (not that it was an original idea, but still).

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:00 am
WanaBeAuthor says...

I dont agree, I have read the book. I actually liked it. I couldn't read the 2nd got boring.

We had to read it in class, I liked it mostly.
"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car"
Unknown.

Got YWS?

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:23 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

Just found another one. Beyond the Summerland. It's in a series, and I couldn't take it. It was published in 2004, and the grammer is still horendous. Are they ALLOWED to publish books with such horendous grammer?

Oh, and infodumping. The author disguised it with it being in dialouge, but it just was so horrible and boring...ugh. I made it through 5 pages.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:21 pm
Clo says...

I loved the Amber Spyglass. If anything was bad about it, it was the time put into the detailing of those elephant creatures from Planet 9 or whatever they were.

Terrible book: The Dark is Rising or whatever that series was by whatever Cooper. Snooze, yawn.... snooze.
How am I not myself?

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:41 pm
Archstormangel says...

The Twilight series. C:
I'm
an Atheist, a young teen girl, someone who loves Harry Potter and hates Twilight, someone who doesn't see deepness in everything, a person who has never suffered from any diseases of any sort.
I'm average, but...

I'm still a writer.

Random avatar

Reviews: 115
Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:19 am
andimlovegalore says...

I love the Hobbit! It's such a sweet fairy tale. I love LOTR as well, but I had it read to me when I was little by my Dad who did all sorts of voices and we kind of made fun of how long and boring the council of Elrond was, so it was fun rather than boring. I think with LOTR it's best to have them read =] get an audiobook or something, even better get the BBC radio play it's BRILLIANT (although Aragorn has a lisp >.>) I loved those when I was younger and still do. I listen to them when I'm sick.

I liked Amber Spyglass as well, but I love the whole trilogy. And I love Lord of the Flies, although I hated it at first it just grew on my as I studied it in detail. I like weird obscure writing and deeply twisted imagery and hidden meaning, it just makes me all happy inside ^_^

I'm reading Jane Eyre at the moment for school and I have to say it's killing me... I have to study Rebecca as well and that's almost as bad. I think my problem is the sort of dull, middle-class ye olde english narrator that just makes me angry. Maybe as I study it further I'll start to like it more =] it could be.

In year 7 I had to read The Ghost of Thomas Kempe and I hated every second. It's not a very famous book and it's only for kids anyway, but it's just a load of rubbish and I never understood why they'd want us to study it for our first year doing english literature! It just put a load of people off.

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:48 pm
Tlahti says...

The worst book(s) I've read were some Danish one my teacher(s) thought would be nice. I don't know about everywhere else, but when teachers pick a book, they're not worth reading.

If I were to choose the worst book I've read, that's known to people outside of Denmark, I would have to say "It" by Stephen King. It was just boring! However, I think that I might have had an unlucky start, and I refuse to believe that it's all that bad, despite my own experience.

Another book I find incredibly boring is Tolkien's "The Silmarillion", nevertheless I'm determined to finish it some time. Normally I could read a book that size in a day (maybe two), but this is the third time I've picked it up, and I'm still not halfway through it. Then again, I don't believe it was supposed to be a story, like the LOTR series.
In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.
Character in avatar belongs to Sarah Ellerton.

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:46 pm
SunshineOrange says...

ldsprincess wrote:
SunshineOrange wrote:;o Breaking Dawn as in the Cullen books? I haven't read that yet, but I cant wait until it comes out over here. I thought the rest of them were quite good.

Just skip it...It TANKED

Didn't she write another book before this, in the series?
I know there is Twilight, New Moon and Eclipse, but isn't there another, focusing on the werewolf aspect of the story?

I forget what they call it.
Ehh Maii Gawwwsh, it's GingerLizzy, on a different profile!

Got YWS? Want a review?

Reviews: 0
Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:48 am
ldsprincess says...

SunshineOrange wrote:
ldsprincess wrote:
SunshineOrange wrote:;o Breaking Dawn as in the Cullen books? I haven't read that yet, but I cant wait until it comes out over here. I thought the rest of them were quite good.

Just skip it...It TANKED

Didn't she write another book before this, in the series?
I know there is Twilight, New Moon and Eclipse, but isn't there another, focusing on the werewolf aspect of the story?

I forget what they call it.

there was going to be Midnight sun, the first from Edward's prospective. But it was illigaly distributed and she's too depressed to write it...
"She's got it out for me but I wear the biggest smile!"
-Misery Buisness by Paramore

514 Reviews

Reviews: 514
Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:31 am
JC says...

Poor Meyer. Anyways, the Twilight saga was on the list of no-says for this forum, and I have no beef with it anyways.

I've never been able to put down a book, no matter how horrible and boring it may be, so consiquiently, I have a rather long list of terrible books under my reading belt.

First, Killing Brittany and I have no idea who the author is, but there were so many mistakes I just wanted to cover it in red ink...but I figured it would be rude to do so.

Second on the list, The Scarlett Letter. There was no saving grace to that book. It was boring, the writing was in my opinion, way too forced and it frankly sucked in my opinion.

Third, Gulliver's Travels. Although that was one of those cases of not being able to appreciate it until it's over, I finished that book and threw it at a wall. It's still sitting on my floor, I almost feel bad. Almost. I just don't like Swifts political rants.

Yeah...there's more, but I wont subject you to that much boredom :D

-JC
But that is not the question. Why we are here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear. We are waiting for Godot to come. -Beckett

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:14 pm
Lauren says...

dreaming_in_poetry wrote:Great Expectations. It was just a long description, then a few snipets of dialogue, then more description, then more dialogue, ect. I couldn't even recognize a climax in the story.

I have to agree. We're doing it for our Eng Lit, and I just can't into it. Dickens drags... well, that's not fair - I haven't read any others by him. But I think you're right.
There are some funny moments, but all in all I just don't care about any of the characters - including Pip. In fact, even Miss Havisham is preferable to him.

402 Reviews

Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:49 pm
Clo says...

Second on the list, The Scarlett Letter. There was no saving grace to that book. It was boring, the writing was in my opinion, way too forced and it frankly sucked in my opinion.

I'm taking an entire class on Hawthorne and only Hawthorne. He's a very detailed, dry writer, aloof... I can definitely see why some would hate him.
How am I not myself?

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:13 am
silverSUNLIGHTx says...

Julie of the Wolves and My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George.
I'm really not into the whole, surviving in the wild kind of deal.
About three quarters of those books were of what they ate, how they killed it, how they cooked it.
ew.
--->Don't forget we've got unfinished business. Stories yet to unfold, tales that must be retold.
-Alex Gaskarth

402 Reviews

Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:16 am
Clo says...

Aw, I loved Julie of the Wolves, which is strange considering I hate wilderness survival books too!

Speaking of those, I detest anything by Gary Paulsen. True story.
How am I not myself?

I am always saying "Glad to've met you" to somebody I'm not at all glad I met. If you want to stay alive, you have to say that stuff, though.
— Holden Caulfield