z

Young Writers Society

Worst Book You've Ever Read

90 Reviews

Reviews: 90
Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:45 am
Palantalid says...

I second for LoTF. It's got a style of its own and the allusions used don't need research to get through. But I agree it's a bit dry.....
What syllable are you seeking,
Vocalissimus,
In the distances of sleep?
Speak it.
—Wallace Stevens, “To the Roaring Wind”

522 Reviews

Reviews: 522
Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:57 pm
canislupis says...

Oooh...

Prophecy of the Stones, by something or other Bujour.

Part of this may be because it was poorly translated from French to English, but it was

* shudders *

Most probably the worst book I've read in a while, at least. The characters were boring and WAAAY to perfect and predictable, the plot was dumb, and the whole idea gave me a headache.

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:08 pm
Kylan says...

Oliver Twist.

I tried to read it twice, but decided on both occasions that I was wasting my time on prosaic crap.

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

Reviews: 0
Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:32 pm
ldsprincess says...

Breaking Dawn...
"She's got it out for me but I wear the biggest smile!"
-Misery Buisness by Paramore

Reviews: 4
Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:21 am
dreaming_in_poetry says...

Great Expectations. It was just a long description, then a few snipets of dialogue, then more description, then more dialogue, ect. I couldn't even recognize a climax in the story.

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:55 am
SunshineOrange says...

;o Breaking Dawn as in the Cullen books? I haven't read that yet, but I cant wait until it comes out over here. I thought the rest of them were quite good.

Hm.. I have to say Far From the Madding Crowd.
Partly because we had to do this for an English thingy, but also; it's so complex and just made my brain ache. I liked all the drama performances of it, but the speech of the book was just.. Whoa.
Ehh Maii Gawwwsh, it's GingerLizzy, on a different profile!

Got YWS? Want a review?

Reviews: 2
Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:15 pm
dailystatic says...

Shadowmancer was a waste of money, time, and paper. Honestly, I felt like I was missing out on some joke. I didn't even put it on my book shelf.

And I agree that LOTR's style is atrocious. The only way I got through the Fellowship of the Ring was that it was... the Fellowship of the Ring.
"Procrastination - do it now, don't put it off," - Ellen DeGeneres

168 Reviews

Reviews: 168
Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:37 pm
scasha says...

I second the Far from the Madding Crowd one and the Prophecy of the Stones

Also (I ran around my house trying to find the worst books I have ever read, which although few, are painful.),

The Sign of the Crescent by Debbie Federici was awful.

Sexy by Joyce Carol Oates was even worse. It was short, dull, confusing, and creepy. I wanted to read it because it involves competitive swimming. I am disgusted that they even mentioned the sport in that book.

Swans in the Mist by D.E. Athkins. SOOOOOOOOOOO bad. It's about a girl whose sister marries this creepy guy who they all live with. He's wierd and likes to punish them for disobedience by locking them in this random tower and doing weird stuff to them. Her sister dies and he tries to make the MC marry him. The MC escapes but then is almost caught again, it was just completely depressing and awkward and wierd. Horrible plot and characters (I think this one takes the cake in my book)

I will have to defend my Artimus Fowl and Max Ride. I loved them. How dare y... never mind, I won't argue, I'll be nice. I like them, and I'm not ashamed :-)

Reviews: 0
Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:47 pm
ldsprincess says...

SunshineOrange wrote:;o Breaking Dawn as in the Cullen books? I haven't read that yet, but I cant wait until it comes out over here. I thought the rest of them were quite good.

Just skip it...It TANKED
"She's got it out for me but I wear the biggest smile!"
-Misery Buisness by Paramore

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:00 pm
Clo says...

The Prophecy of the Stones... wasn't that written by a thirteen year old?
How am I not myself?

168 Reviews

Reviews: 168
Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:04 pm
View Likes
scasha says...

Probably. I should go check to see what I can find about the author. Still, it was not worth reading.

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:15 pm
View Likes
WanaBeAuthor says...

I really think that people hate Eragon, Harry Potter, and LoTR because so many people like it. I like em I can't understand why other people don't.
"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car"
Unknown.

Got YWS?

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:17 pm
Clo says...

Everyone has a different opinion on books. Some people hate them because they're popular. Some people hate them because they hate them.
How am I not myself?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Snoink says...

To be honest, I didn't read these books. But not because I didn't try! I hated them and put them down. Hopefully they'll stay down...

"Interstellar Pig" by William Sleator

I chose it for the title, because I liked pigs. OMG. Such a sucky book. It doesn't even pretend to be well written... it's just bad. *shudders*

"A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" by Mark Twain

Yeah... let's make the narrator as pompous as an ass as we can make him and send him back to King Arthur's court where he whines and basically screws over the stupid populace.

"The Lonely Lady" by Harold Robbins

How much smut can you possibly stuff in a book? Well, there's a quick way to find out! Read this adorable book. :P

"The Hobbit" by JRR Tolkien

I cannot tell you how much I hated this book. It's like... the first scene is a bunch of people invading a house and yet it's accepted? And they're liked? Helllllllllllo. Just call the cops and shoot them, Bilbo! Guh...

"Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis

I might possibly start this boo again, if only because I own it, but it's incredibly dull. Like, very much dull. I would rather read religious dissertations in The Brothers Karamazov, thankyouverymuch.

"The Amber Spyglass" by Philip Pullman

I did read all of this... but really. It sucks. It's not just a matter of bad writing, it's a matter of bad thinking. First of all, you really don't have to be that preachy. Really. Second of all, if you're going to throw an ANGEL into a bottomless pit thingy, then realize that the angel has wings. And even if two people are holding on to said angel's wings, the two people are only humans and they'll die soon. The angel can then peel off their rotting fingers and wait to be healed naturally and then fly out. It might take some work, of course, but you don't make it that f***ing dramatic because it's not. Really. Second of all, if you want to kill off my favorite character in the series by throwing him down a bottomless pit, be aware of the physics behind that. Because of gravity, there is going to be an oscillation that will make the character go up... and then down as he reaches the other side of the globe. So you suck. He would have come out eventually.

There's more... I am tempted to rant about certain math books, but I shall hold my tongue on that subject. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:29 pm
Black Ghost says...

Um...

Cirque Du Freak.

I only read the first one, but seriously, it sounds like it was written by a nine-year-old. :? And everyone I asked was like "OMG IT'S SO GOOD GOBBLEDY GOOK!"

*dies*

So yeah, it was bad...

[s]BlackGhost[/s]

Follow your passion. Stay true to yourself. Never follow someone else's path unless you're in the woods and you're lost and you see a path. By all means, you should follow that.
— Ellen DeGeneres