z

Young Writers Society

Worst Book You've Ever Read

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:16 am
silverSUNLIGHTx says...

Stella Thomas wrote:Actually, I'm reading through the topic and I... *blushes* I have to defend the Prophecy of the Gems/Stones by Flavia Bujor. It was a long time ago that I read it... but... I really enjoyed it. *blushes again*

Oh, I loved that book. And I was completely amazed that it was written by a thirteen year old.
--->Don't forget we've got unfinished business. Stories yet to unfold, tales that must be retold.
-Alex Gaskarth

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:33 pm
Seraphania says...

I thought Lionboy was alright...it certainly wasn't the best, but I enjoyed it enough. It was just, you know, one of those side books that you read when you're really bored....
Novel Wordcount: 58,001 words

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:52 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

Blue-Orange wrote:I agree with Lord of the Flies. I had to read that for English and we watched the film, it's awful.

I also didn't like Shadowmancer and GP Taylor's other book . . . Wormwood? They were so boring and I didn't like the characters or care about them and the description was really dull.

Goosebumps . . . Now those books did my head in. They were so . . . Unscary, predictable and just stupid.

What? Lord of the Flies is AMAZING!

The worst books ever are:
-The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald- a boring narrative with unrealistic characters. Also, in one scene Gatsby wears a "white plaid suit". White plaid!?
-The Stand by Stephen King- at 1,141 pages (I read the whole thing!) and some graphic (not violent, the other graphic) scenes it was a chore to read
-Jacob Have I Loved- A girl whines about her life for 200 pages

297 Reviews

Reviews: 297
Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:44 pm
Kaylyn says...

Ewww, I hate Lord of the Flies!
It is the most awful book ever.
As your pretty, so be wise,
Wolves may lurk in every guise.

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:23 pm
Cobra says...

Lord of the Flies is quite good, but To Kill a Mockingbird is boring.
The corpses are piled high around. Blood carpets the floor and flames scorch away the last remnants of humanity. The screams of the damned echo in my head. I smile. I am home.

297 Reviews

Reviews: 297
Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:51 pm
Kaylyn says...

Our teacher went over the symbolosim in it. Like for example when the boys are killing and torturing the sow, it has been studied and argued that the boys were raping the pig. Go back and read those passages. It would make sense too...
As your pretty, so be wise,
Wolves may lurk in every guise.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:28 pm
Matt3187 says...

Though i huge fan of HP, one for my least favourite books in HP and the Half Blood Prince

I wouldnt say that it was bad, just very very disapointing

Reviews: 0
Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:27 am
Spirrus says...

To Kill a Mockingbird is pretty heavy on the symbolism and themes, but despite this, it's boring and I can't stand reading it. I was forced to do it for Literature though, but the book was so bad I couldn't even be forced to go over it. Good thing for sparknotes.com...I didn't read the book, but still passed. :D
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it."

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:22 pm
Demeter says...

Come on, people, Lord of the Flies is classic! I liked it :)

Twilight was uninteresting. It was actually quite boring, so I read only the first one.

And Lord of the Rings... well. I know it's classic, too, but it's also awfully dull. I managed through the first book and halfway through the second one. That was it.

The worst book I've ever read was So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane. It was booooriiiing. I forced myself to finish it, because I told myself I had to do it for the people who'd given it to me for Christmas. It was basically "Yay, only 115 more pages to go!".

And, well, Molly Moon books are quite stupid, as well. I just don't like Georgia Byng's style of writing.

Now I got it. The Sweet Valley High books. Do I even have to tell you why?
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:05 pm
Rosendorn says...

Twilight...... Do Not Get Me Started! It's sad, really: I know the plot and I haven't touched them. I spend Waaaay to much time talking with bookworm friends.

Some bad ones I have read:

Dragon Keeper Chronicles books 3, 4 and 5. The first two were alright, but the last three..... the main guy character turned perfect (and had a bit of a male supiriority complex), the main girl character stayed weak and indicisive (acceptable for the first two books, while she's learning, but after? Gimme a break!) and book 5's opening scene was one of the worst I had ever read. It gave absolutly Nothing to the plot.

The Naming. I read about half of the book. In 250 pages, there was only one "swords" battle (it was fighting demonic creatures with fire), one magic "battle" and one semi-battle of wills. It held a lot of promise, but there just wasn't enough in the text to keep me interested in the very, long, book.

Shebanu. A Muslim girl has to deside if she should obey her parents or her call to freedom. There is a sequel out. She chose to obey her parents. And it gets better. There is a third book. She stages her own death.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:03 am
Medusa says...

Wow. I think time will change a lot of your minds. The great gatsby was one of my favorite books--its actually VERY realistic, exactly how the 20s were.

I hate Nathianiel Hawthorne. His writing is so archaic and flavorless. I also can't stand many russian books because they're so long and pointless.

243 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 243
Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:44 pm
Blink says...

And Lord of the Rings... well. I know it's classic, too, but it's also awfully dull. I managed through the first book and halfway through the second one. That was it.

How dare you. :wink: The Lord of the Rings is beauty-full. I mean, the descriptions are breath-taking and the fighting scenes, well, they are just incredible. That's my opinion.

My least favourite book? Well, ye, aside from Brisingr... I don't know. I tend not to read books that look horrible.
"A man's face is his autobiography. A woman's face is her work of fiction." ~ Oscar Wilde

241 Reviews

Reviews: 241
Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:40 am
lyrical_sunshine says...

It's amazing how subjective books are. I've seen some of my favorites listed under the HATE HATE HATE column. :)

I really didn't like "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings." Which might make me politically incorrect, but I don't care. I'm not a fan.

Oh! And the Canterbury Tales. Ick.
“We’re still here,” he says, his voice cold, his hands shaking. “We know how to be invisible, how to play dead. But at the end of the day, we are still here.” ~Dax

Teacher: "What do we do with adjectives in Spanish?"
S: "We eat them!"

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:19 pm
silverSUNLIGHTx says...

Bloomability. I tried to read this book like five times but I never got to the end.
--->Don't forget we've got unfinished business. Stories yet to unfold, tales that must be retold.
-Alex Gaskarth

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:26 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

Has anyone here read Across Five Aprils? It's horrible.
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

What's stopping you?
— David Mamet