z

Young Writers Society

Worst Book You've Ever Read

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:53 am
Hydey says...

I cannot remember the name of the book, but it was set up as if we were reading a play script. I hated it. There was too much dialogue and not enough description. To make it worse, we were forced to read it in school as an assignment. Ug, :thud: . I absolutely love books, however when I am made to read one, I cannot seem to get the same effect of it (except if it's one I have already read). The book was about this kid who did not want to say the American National Anthem. It was the only book that I hated on the first chapter.
“Take one fresh and tender kiss
Add one stolen night of bliss
One girl, one boy, some grief,
some joy Memories are made of this.”
Johnny Cash

48 Reviews

Reviews: 48
Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:27 pm
ArahniaSiddel says...

Ok first of all because everybody else is:
1. Twilight - the whole time I was thinking "is this going to get better?"
2.Lord of the Rings - way to wordy!

1.Gaia Girls by Lee Welles! I read them when they first came out and the are the worst thing I have ever read. I couldn't get past the middle of the first one!
2. Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls by Meg Cabot!
I know both these books are the kind you read when you are 7. But even then I HATED them!

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:58 pm
JaneThermopolis says...

The worst book I've ever read...Inside the Mind of Gideon Rayburn by Sarah Miller. It's about this boy (Gideon) who ends up going to this private boarding school where his pot smoking friends challenge him to see how many girls he can have sex with in 4 months.
Really, I know, just by the summary you can probably tell that it was a terrible book. I don't think people would actually say they liked this books unless they were smoking pot (like Gideon's friends).
-Jane

(Btw - I read all the Twilight books because our English teacher made us read them and I've got to say the best one was Eclipse. Eclipse actually has some action and a good plot..New Moon is so depressing and makes me want to become a feminist, and Breaking Dawn kind of creeps me out since Jacob is in love with a little baby. The HP books are definitely better, at least Rowling has some skill and imagination.)
Apple of my soul,
Eats me whole,
Take one bite,
No delight,
Rotting hole.

315 Reviews

Reviews: 315
Wed May 05, 2010 4:06 am
Navita says...

I would have to agree with many others on here. I'm quite an aivd reader, with a keen eye for detail, and if the beginning doesn't hook me, I put it down. If the middle falls apart, I put it down. In short, I don't read crap books at all - at least, not from start to finish!

Okay, so there were two books I was made to read by teachers that I had to slog my way through because they were so boring. Firstly - and don't throttle me for saying this - I didn't enjoy 'Of Mice and Men' in the slightest. Even worse was the film.

The second book that comes to mind is 'The Chocolate War'.

Thankfully, most books I've read have been fantastic - else, I wouldn't have read them.

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Wed May 05, 2010 4:09 am
Prokaryote says...

JaneThermopolis wrote:(Btw - I read all the Twilight books because our English teacher made us read them

This is just perverse. I suggest you go before the school board and protest.

Reviews: 3
Wed May 05, 2010 10:58 pm
Cheshire-Writer says...

Prokaryote wrote:
JaneThermopolis wrote:(Btw - I read all the Twilight books because our English teacher made us read them

This is just perverse. I suggest you go before the school board and protest.

You may be surprised but Twilight has been taught in quiet a few schools now.

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Wed May 05, 2010 11:05 pm
Prokaryote says...

Cheshire-Writer wrote:You may be surprised but Twilight has been taught in quiet a few schools now.

Actually, not very surprised, given what I've read about the American school system. Just distraught.

Though if we look at it from a different perspective, they may be helping to curb the craze. The number one way to suck the fun out of something is to assign it as schoolwork.

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Sun May 09, 2010 3:21 am
AspiringAuthorA..M. says...

All this time I was thinking you were American, Prokaryote.

Anyway, I read a few pages of The Scarlet Letter, got bored and stopped reading it.
"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
-John 11:25-26

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Sun May 09, 2010 3:58 am
Elinor says...

I'm going to have to mention Twelve and Thirteen, the second and third books in a trilogy by Lauren Myracle, the woman who wrote those chatroom books. There's a first book called Eleven, which I'm sure is just as equally bad, but I haven't read it so I guess it isn't really fair to put it on the list.

It's basically about this girl called Winnie, and each book last the course of the year, and her age corresponds with the book title. They're all terrible. They have no plot; it just follows a teenage girl's daily life as she gets older with random occurrences taking place, something that Myracle never follows up on. Winnie is a total b**** and completely ungrateful, when they try to make one of her other friends look a jerk. The dialogue is laughable, and the first person narration by Winnie gets tedious. Oh, and the entire thing is so predictable. Do yourselves a favor and don't read those books. That is all.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

76 Reviews

Reviews: 76
Sun May 09, 2010 4:43 am
KitxKat says...

Whale Singer
I doubt you've even heard of it

THe plot was see-though, the girl was a major Mary-Sue. Go read Whole Rider instead.
When life hands you a BAD ROMANCE, pick up your TELEPHONE, call ALEJANDRO and JUST DANCE!

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Mon May 10, 2010 3:23 am
PhoenixBishop says...

Anyway I must add Stephen Kings It. Yes I went there. Some of his comparisons are too long winded and I can't stand his crass mouth. He compared the males body part to a exclamation point. WHY?

Sorry for the caps but really why?
This is one little planet in one tiny solar system in a galaxy that’s barely out of its diapers. I’m old, Dean. Very old. So I invite you to contemplate how insignificant I find you.

Death~

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Fri May 21, 2010 7:58 pm
tigress5674 says...

Evermore by Alison Noel, hands down. I wanted to stop reading it after the first page, but I had (stupidly) promised a friend I'd read it. I curse myself for not having read the summary before I promised. Basically, it's a really, really bad version of Twilight (and this is coming from a very adament Twilight hater), only instead of reading minds, the main character sees auras. So boring and unoriginal... In fact, that's the only book I've ever thrown across the room, and then upon picking it up, been tempted to throw into the fireplace. So the main character falls in love with a vampire, almost gets killed by another frantic vampire (Victoria, anyone?), and the author doesn't even TRY to hide that it's a Twilight copy-cat. She called the sequel "Blue Moon." The entire book really just disgusted me.

And then there's Aurelia by Anne Osterlund (or something to that effect) which was almost as bad as Twilight. It's just one of those typical books about a princess who doesn't like her privileged life and falls in love with some childhood friend or something like that. Really cliche. I couldn't get passed page 30.

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Sun May 23, 2010 3:08 am
Loller65 says...

Mutiny on the Bounty. Read it back in 3rd or 4th grade...definitely 4th because I got it after I read To Kill a Mockingbird. Hated it! Boring, long, and not at all exciting high seas adventure like it should have been. To quote Anon....DO NOT WANT!
"There are no absolute rules of conduct, either in peace or war. Everything depends on circumstances."

-Leon Trotsky-

Random avatar

Reviews: 43
Wed May 26, 2010 4:35 am
NepoGirl says...

Goblin Woods. It has the most boring characters and the plot is slow and choppy. It's inconsistent and the story doesn't flow smoothly like it should. It's a great plot if you summraize it, but the format and the way it was written makes me want to throw it on the ground and set it one fire. If you're looking for a great book, don't read this one.

Ciao! :elephant:
This Months Disney Film: Beauty And The Beast

~Is It Wrong That I Find The Beast More Attractive As An Actual Beast Then His Human Prince Form?

Random avatar

Reviews: 43
Thu May 27, 2010 12:55 am
DisturbedDisorder says...

I kind of want to say Blue Moon from the Immortals series, but...yeah, I'll say that it is the worst.

The first book in the series, Evermore, was amazing. I loved it. But I really didn't see a need for a second book. I got bored with it halfway through and put it down. And there is even a third book. I haven't even tried the third book, but my friend who read it said it was even worse than the second.

I just hate it when authors ruin an awesome story by adding unnecessary sequels...
~~DisturbedDisorder~~

I am a little more provocative then you might be..
It's your shock and then your horror on which I feed..
So can you tell me what exactly does freedom mean..?
If I'm not free to be as twisted as I wanna be..!?

-Divide, Disturbed

We're all stories in the end.
— 11th Doctor