z

Young Writers Society

Worst Book You've Ever Read

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:22 am
Xunnamius says...

The Talisman.

H-A-T-E doesn't even begin to describe the boredom I felt. My friend told me it was so good, and would get better as it went along... but I couldn't even stand the two chapters. Full of boring!

We had a quick thirty second :smt014
Out of English and into Programming!
This author is taking a break from his stories to create new ones in the world of C(#).

He'll be back. I promise!

What anime am I watching?

261 Reviews

Reviews: 261
Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:54 pm
Mr.Knightley says...

Krupp wrote:I guess I'm confused more than hateful. Doesn't Silmarillion drag on more than the Fellowship did? Maybe it's just me..

Not for me, no. The chapters can be read by themselves, mostly, and it really allows me to understand the world and all its contents. (I would never have known who Elbereth was without the Silmarillion) Even having watched the movies first (bad idea), it was still hard for me to put myself in the book, imagine the world; Tolkien kind of just threw me into this setting that he didn't really bother to explain, with countless names that would have completely confused me without the aforementioned book and movies. *shrug* Maybe I read it at the wrong time. Maybe I was just completely misunderstanding his writing technique. Either way, it definitely deserves a second chance, at some point. :)
"You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you're all the same."

Lady Gaga

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:07 pm
~Volant~ says...

Eimear wrote:My first book I ever wrote.

It was horrendous, really, very bad.

However I hear the writer is very good looking so that makes up for it.

XD

XD omg so very very true!!! My first book S-U-C-K-E-D. It was titled "Evil Unicorns" that's how bad it sucked. lol!
Where are we going?

93 Reviews

Reviews: 93
Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:18 pm
View Likes
~Volant~ says...

HC wrote:Bit upset to hear Artemis Fowl mentioned! I'm very, very ashamed to say I LOVE those books -- mostly ashamed since they are probably meant for a slightly younger audience. But good books nonetheless. Have yet to read the Time Paradox, so I can't really say anything about that... As for how anyone can like little Arty -- you just kind of wish you were that smart, I guess. And his humane side does come out a bit more in the Arctic Incident.

Yay! Someone who was braver than me to say it!! I feel totoally the same! And time paradox was quite enjoyable....old Artemis matched against young Artemis....XD very fun to watch.

And one thing; you're not supposed to like Artemis. He's a creepy little villain who kidnaps poor innocent fairies and holds them ransom. You have to wait until the second book for him to change.

But I can see why people don't like it; childish, blockish characters (though Butler, Holly, and No. 1 are fricken BAMFs), and constantly contradicting himself. (first he says, "people were always asking her, 'excuse me, officer, my cat has climbed up a stalagmite...'" and then "the fairies are too humane to animals to even keep pets."? hm.) So yeah, I can see how people won't like them, but keep in mind, people, it is meant for younger audiences, after all, and I read them when I was younger. I look back on them in fondness, as I do with most of my childhood literary friends. :D
Where are we going?

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:42 am
turity says...

Same here. I loved the Artemis Fowl series. Admitedly, it was my younger brother who introduced the first book to me and it took me a while to get my head around the concept, but when I did, I enjoyed every little bit!

Other than that, I won't say I hated, but I extremely disliked GENESIS by Bernard Beckett. There was so much philosphy in there that I had a bad headache by the time I was through. Plus, not much happens in real time. The MC is retelling the entire story behind a closed door to Examiners who will jugde her on the extent of her knowledge.

In a nutshell, it was utterly boring and a waste of time. No spoilers, but the ending was horrible and completely uncalled for.
Writing blog: http://coffeeinkandblood.blogspot.com/
Looking for similar blogs to follow!

Editing: RESURRECTION, bk 1 Ancient Project trilogy.---> need Betas(PM)
Writing: GOLDEN MOON (sci-fi)

"I try to leave out the parts that people skip." Elmore Leonard

203 Reviews

Reviews: 203
Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:52 pm
ofir says...

I'd have to say Witch Season. I found the descriptions depthless, the characters boring, and the plot absolutely dreadful. Who's with me?
"if you were waiting for the opportune moment... that was it." - Captain Jack Sparrow

Reviews: 0
Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:31 pm
Salma says...

Well I think it was a novel written by Ahlam AlMustganmi (Algerian writer)
- Who ever breaks your heart gotta fix it before leaving =(

Reviews: 4
Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:30 am
wanted2Bcriticized says...

have anyone read "The City of Falling Angels"?

The title was captivating.. super.. but the content?!?! haha.. it's just like a diary written by a foreigner who, for the first time, saw Venice...

It's all about his 'unadventurous stay' in Venice stating all the building he saw, and stating all those whom he met! there are like.. tons of names written there.. I love the place.. but the story he made out of it.. BORING..

when I really got bored in reading chapter 3.. I turned the page to the "Author's Note"... stupid me.. the book was a non-fiction.. every name and places stated were real......

why give it such a TITLE??...

he really got me there!.. ahahhaha.. ^^
...I'm someone who...
wanted 2 B criticized

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:11 pm
Janay82 says...

I honestly can't remember the name of it. I was looking for a book to read in 6th grade and i found this one book that looked good cause someone got murdered in it. It was like over 200 pages of nothing. In the beginning the guy got stabbed in the back cause he told someone he liked his shoes, then the rest of the book was just the guy floating around the town seeing his old friends and meeting some other ghost girl. Very slowly they start dissapearing body part by body part. In the end they were about to dissapear to probably heaven. Trust me, VERY BORING.
Vouslez vous de beurre? =}D

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:58 pm
Lava says...

The first that pops into my head is "3 mistakes of my life" by Chetan Bhagat. It was a pure waste of 200 pages. I actually gave up after 2 chapters. I bought the book thinkng it'd be good as his previous 2 books were good.
And then, I don't like "Persuasion" (I can hear a bunch of lit freaks yelling "No Way!" but I just don't. Live with it.) I'm not anti-Jane Austen, I just don't like this book.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

261 Reviews

Reviews: 261
Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:07 pm
Mr.Knightley says...

*kicks the person who didn't like LOTR* :) I actually like that book now. I guess I'm cured of a bad case of twisted judgment. :wink: My current least favorite book is City of Bones, by Cassandra Clare. XO It was just Twilight with a better vocabulary and maybe a subplot or two. I think I'll go throw up, now... It was terrible!!!!
"You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you're all the same."

Lady Gaga

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:25 am
Alz says...

In my opinion, there are two books that tie for the title of worst book ever. Space Trap by Monica Hughes, and Luke Baldwin's Vow by Morley Callaghan. I had to read them for school, and I basically just skimmed them for answers after the first couple pages because they were so terrible... They were the most boring, irritating books ever!
The beautiful part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon. - Robert Cormier

Check out my blog at http://missalliesadventures.blogspot.com

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:53 pm
MissMiaFacinelli says...

Hmmmmm...
I would definitely have to say "Just In Case" by Meg Rosoff. It's about a psychotic boy who thinks fate is out to get him, so he tried to escape it by changing his name and running away. It's boring, with an obviously psychotic boy, to whom a series of events happen that are completely unconvincing.
Do NOT read, on pain of supreme irritation, and danger to others: you may be prone to throw the book.
Want a free, constructive review? Click here!

Got YWS?

Previously known as Pgsgirl7

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:54 pm
MissMiaFacinelli says...

~Volant~ wrote:
Eimear wrote:My first book I ever wrote.

It was horrendous, really, very bad.

However I hear the writer is very good looking so that makes up for it.

XD

XD omg so very very true!!! My first book S-U-C-K-E-D. It was titled "Evil Unicorns" that's how bad it sucked. lol!

LOL! Totally agree! It was called "Fatal Attraction", and, I'm ashamed to say, is on YWS. It's DIRE.
Want a free, constructive review? Click here!

Got YWS?

Previously known as Pgsgirl7

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:28 pm
Krupp says...

I think it's fair to say that all of our first books written (or short story, novella, etc.) all sucked in one way or another...no use denying that now. But that's what's cool about being able to look back over ten years and see the improvements you've made. It's a great feeling.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

I think the more you understand myths, the more you understand the roots of our culture and the more things will resonate.
— Rick Riordan