z

Young Writers Society

Worst Book You've Ever Read

80 Reviews

Reviews: 80
Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:21 pm
JosephDean says...

*Has a bad seventh grade flashback*

Hatchet.... *shudder* The entire time I was just yelling at the pages, "Die already!"

Also, I think it's called Tru Confessions... about some girl having to act like a guy on a sailor ship or something. That was immensely boring.

Um, Animal Farm. You know what - basically any book that we had to read throughout school. Yep, that about sums it up :D

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:54 pm
Wcatgal says...

The worst book I've ever read was...The Giver. I hated how it left the endding so open and how it doesn't even tell you if they make it to another town or even live for that matter. Besides that little bit though it was an okay book. It was an interesting concept to write about though.
War doesn't determin whoes right
War determins who's left

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:42 am
thunder_dude7 says...

We have to read a book called Three Cups of Tea for Civics.

Civics? Making us read a full-fledged book? This can't possibly end well.

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:58 pm
x0xGilmore Girliex0x says...

Well, I am not one to complain about books. I'm easy to please, so most of the books that everyone is complaining about didn't bother me. However, I get bored easily, so if they stop... going anywhere, I stop reading them. Here are some of the worst:

Cut by Patricia McCormick

The whole book was pretty good, but the whole time, you are wondering "Why is she cutting herself?" "why is she cutting herself?" When you get to the end, you find out that the reason she does it is completely retarded. If the author would've come up with a more interesting reason as to why she harmed herself, it would've made the book excellent.

Chosen by Kristin and P.C. Cast

The first two in the series (Marked and Betrayed) weren't the best books, but they were interesting enough that I read them and couldn't wait until Chosen came out. In Chosen, everything goes wrong and the characters aren't anything like they used to be. Stevie Rae just disgusts me! And, with only 20 pages left, I finally got sick of it and quit. To this day, I haven't finished it. I just can't.

Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld

This is the WORST book ever. Definitely not for young readers. But they don't warn you about that. I got read about 250-300 pages into it, waiting for the climax, and then she starts going into detail about all the stuff the MC does with her crush. Ewww... details. I skipped over that section and read the last chapter or two to see what happened (I didn't care if it ruined it or not) Sadly, nothing happens. Just more of the boring high school crap that everyone deals with. And the worst part is, it won like 20 awards or something outrageous like that. I think every copy of that should be burnt.

& I totally agree with all the Gary Paulsen and Jean Craighead George dissing that's going on out there. B to the -oring!
"... and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, " (Hebrews 12:1)

"This race: if you are in it, do your best to win it."
-The Amazing Aaron!

123 Reviews

Reviews: 123
Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:40 pm
Lord Anzius says...

alwaysawriter wrote:Artemis Fowl by Eion Colfer (The beginning was too confusing)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT SAY THAT::::::::

I must say...... ANY DRAGO LANCE and that other thing that Realm something that is VERY similar to dragon lance... I HATE THEM.. ARGH.. I have tried reading many of them but I can't get into them or sometimes I don'r even understand them.... They make my brain go haywire.
To copy reality is good... But to create reality is much, much better.
-Giuseppe Verdi-

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:04 pm
oneeyedunicornhunter says...

Mistress of Dragons...besides having mediocre plot and character development, every other chapter had a sex scene. It's not as great as it sounds...dragon raping woman? -.-'

Please, Weis, find something to write about other than sex!
Am I a one eyed hunter of unicorns or a hunter of one eyed unicorns? The world may never know.

76 Reviews

Reviews: 76
Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:04 am
xGraceex says...

The worst book i have probably ever read was The Fire Within. I almost cried. It was so bad.
I saw it in the book shop and was like "awesome picture, green dragon - what could go wrong?" but seriosly i hated it. It was about a rather boring twenty year old who moves in with a family and pays rent blah blah blah and the only thing it says about dragons is that the woman there makes them for her potery, and theyhave magical qualities or whatever. yea, it sounds really good when i tell it like that but ive missed out the fact that the little girl has a obsession with squirrels and the whole book is about the guy who has moved in trying to save a soding squirrel! names chastnut or whatever who happens to have one eye! and there is an evil crow! this was put in the teenage section and i was so dissapointed, it is just mainly the little girl whining about squirrels and the twenty year old trying to catch one. fabulouse.
SOME WISE WORDS xxx
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder
All true wisdom is found on T-shirts

516 Reviews

Reviews: 516
Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:36 am
chocoholic says...

In year 7 we had to read book called Galax-Arena. It was totally random and confusing and just made me think: Why are we studying this in school?
*Don't expect to see me around much in the next couple of weeks. School has started again, and it'll be a couple of weeks before I've settled in. If you've asked me for a critique, you will get it, but not for a little while. Sorry*

123 Reviews

Reviews: 123
Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:13 pm
Lord Anzius says...

The worst book i have probably ever read was The Fire Within. I almost cried. It was so bad.
I saw it in the book shop and was like "awesome picture, green dragon - what could go wrong?" but seriosly i hated it. It was about a rather boring twenty year old who moves in with a family and pays rent blah blah blah and the only thing it says about dragons is that the woman there makes them for her potery, and theyhave magical qualities or whatever. yea, it sounds really good when i tell it like that but ive missed out the fact that the little girl has a obsession with squirrels and the whole book is about the guy who has moved in trying to save a soding squirrel! names chastnut or whatever who happens to have one eye! and there is an evil crow! this was put in the teenage section and i was so dissapointed, it is just mainly the little girl whining about squirrels and the twenty year old trying to catch one. fabulouse

I never finished myself.
It's not the best book, but I stil think it is better than dragonlance.

(I just had to say =) )
To copy reality is good... But to create reality is much, much better.
-Giuseppe Verdi-

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:45 pm
thunder_dude7 says...

I'm reading Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson now.

Sure enough, it's terrible. The first three chapters are about pathetic details about him being stuck on a mountain.

It's getting better. The beginning is just too weird.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:53 pm
POTAFan1973 says...

In the 4th grade I had to read this book called The City of Ember. My teacher would gives us questions for each chapter and I'd read what I need to answer the questions.

In the 5th grade I read two dull books,The Talking Earth and The House of Dies Drear. I could handle reading The Talking Earth but The House of Dies Drear was awful. I half read it and oddly whenever I took the test I got an A because the questions that were asked just happened to be from the parts I did read. Wild ain't it? Now being homeschooled my mom lets me choose what I read because she says I'll enjoy it more if its a book that I actually do want to read.
One person's craziness is another person's reality
-Tim Burton

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:25 pm
Dreami says...

What's up with all the hate on the Harry Potter series? :shock: Seeing it compared to Eragon and Twilight just... sickens me. The characters and the plot are much more vivid and imaginative than either of those series.

Anyways, I just finished a pretty bad book: "Life As We Knew It" *yawn* Maybe not the worst book I have ever read, but I felt as though the author was hammering her religious and poltical beliefs down my throat, and I had absoloutely no immotional attachment to any of the characters. Miranda was just.. lifeless.

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:54 pm
Stori says...

Grace- you should really read the other books in that series, "Icefire" and "Fire Star." They're much better.

POTA- Ember is not awful! It's just a little simple, that's all.

250 Reviews

Reviews: 250
Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:45 pm
Night Mistress says...

Gilmore Girl:

Chosen wasn't that bad. i didn't like it either. Things get a lot better in Untamed.

As for my worst book, i i would have to say Breaking Dawn. it's was so slow at the begin and the whole baby was totally weird. i thought she could have done a lot better. She make Bella lose her uniqueness when Bella turn vampire.
"I love you," she whispered in his ear, before taking his mouth with her own.

~Elizzabeth Grey of Addicting Posion

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:52 pm
lxtmidnight says...

JosephDean wrote:*Has a bad seventh grade flashback*

Hatchet.... *shudder* The entire time I was just yelling at the pages, "Die already!"

I was just waiting for someone to say this one.

This book was the apocalypse of my childhood, and that is no lie. I was only in 5th grade when they assigned it to us for a Summer Reading project, and I've never been the same since *eye twitches*

And, although it's against the rules, and it's been brought up several times, I absolutely cannot pass by this forum without mentioning Eragon. I've never in my life read action described with such a dull, lack-luster tone. Some people may say he deserves a break since he's only 15, but age, as YA so diligently shows us, doesn't really matter as long as you have the talent and determination to back it up. (Why did I just sound like a motivational poster right there? O.O)
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self.
-Cyril Connolly

"There is nothing to fear from someone who shouts."
— Chinua Achebe, Things Fall Apart