z

Young Writers Society

The Book Thief

344 Reviews

Reviews: 344
Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:24 pm
Eimear says...

I've just started to read this, and although the structure isn't that of a book which i would normally read, I'm hooked. It's a real page turner.

Anyone else read it?
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde.

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:36 pm
Aedomir says...

I'm reading it now, it's great! Such an original style. I love it.
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:59 pm
StellaThomas says...

There's actually a thread for it already, I think... in any case, this is my all time favourite book, it's absolutely gorgeous, and it's the only book I've actually had tears rolling down my face for. If you don't tear up at some point, you're heartless. It takes some time to get into, but you both seem to be getting into it, which is great. I absolutely adore it.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:21 pm
Kylan says...

Notice my avatar.

The Book Thief is pure art.

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

Reviews: 1
Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:02 am
View Likes
hellodaydream says...

I tried reading that book once, it didn't really grab my attention. It was well written, had an interesting point of view but the characters didn't do it for me.

582 Reviews

Reviews: 582
Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:28 pm
KJ says...

I've heard it was good from several people actually... but I looked at it at Barnes & Noble and it just didn't seem like m my type of book. Maybe I'll try it...

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:44 pm
iheartlondon says...

Just wanted to share a review a have written some time ago after reading this book.

If you're looking for something that's easy to read, The Book Thief is NOT your choice, but if you're looking for a truly GREAT book - read this one. What makes this story unique, what makes it different from all other stories about Nazi Germany and WW2? Usually, such stories focus on the difficulties for the Jews, the horrors of the war, but The Book Thief tells us about a young German girl, which had lost her family and has to get used to living with her foster parents during these hard times. That's exactly what we learn from the book - that these were hard times for everyone (Germans, Jews - People). There was no black and white, nothing was clear.

Other things amazing about this book:
1. Yes, it's not at all short, but that's done for a reason. While reading these 500+ pages, you really get to love its characters - even the bitchy and annoying ones. You get to love the small German town (Molching), its most familiar Himmel Street and almost pray for it to survive the war. The author has done a brilliant job in making the reader very attached to the characters. That's why it's so hard to face and accept what happens in the end of the story.
2. The story is narrated by Death. As you read, you get to smile (and sometimes freak-out) at all those sarcastic "side-notes" made by this unusual narrator, such as "It kills me sometimes, how people die".
3. It's almost impossible to mention all themes that this book covers because there are so many: Destruction vs Creation (always side-by-side), Love, Friendship, Cruelty... Death, ambiguity of thievery.
4. The book is literally a fount of quotes, one of my favorite being "The only thing worse than a boy who hates you: a boy that loves you" and "I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right".
5. Books normally don't make me cry (movies do), but this one... really did. After reading I kept staring at a blank wall for some minutes, speechless.

The Book Thief won't leave anyone indifferent. It's a must-read and I hope that one day this story will become a classic.
"It's better to be wanted for murder, than not to be wanted at all."

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:09 pm
PrincessOfDarkness says...

I was scrolling down reviews and saw:

"Book Theif"

Someone else has read it! :D

WOW! IT IS A MUST READ. I LOVE IT! I CRIED SO MUCH! IF YOU HAVE READ IT, READ SPOILER:

Spoiler! :
WHEN THE STREET GETS BOMBED! :o I CRIED! RUDY (?) DIED, AND THEN SHE KISSED HIM! IT MADE ME BOO HARDER!

IF ANYBODY DOES NOT READ THIS BOOK, I WILL HAUNT YOU.... xD Forever .... Mwahahaha! :D
Signature Pending

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:11 pm
PrincessOfDarkness says...

Other things amazing about this book:
1. Yes, it's not at all short, but that's done for a reason. While reading these 500+ pages, you really get to love its characters - even the bitchy and annoying ones. You get to love the small German town (Molching), its most familiar Himmel Street and almost pray for it to survive the war. The author has done a brilliant job in making the reader very attached to the characters. That's why it's so hard to face and accept what happens in the end of the story.
2. The story is narrated by Death. As you read, you get to smile (and sometimes freak-out) at all those sarcastic "side-notes" made by this unusual narrator, such as "It kills me sometimes, how people die".
3. It's almost impossible to mention all themes that this book covers because there are so many: Destruction vs Creation (always side-by-side), Love, Friendship, Cruelty... Death, ambiguity of thievery.
4. The book is literally a fount of quotes, one of my favorite being "The only thing worse than a boy who hates you: a boy that loves you" and "I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right".
5. Books normally don't make me cry (movies do), but this one... really did. After reading I kept staring at a blank wall for some minutes, speechless.

You said it ALL. I so agree. I did number 5, but for about ten minuites :smt003
Signature Pending

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:11 am
PlasticStarlight says...

I have to agree here. The Book Thief is one of those truely beautiful books. The formatting is unique, it threw me off at first but I pushed through it and before I knew it, I was on the last page wishing there was more. The Characters are so genuine and realistic. Zursak shows a part of WWII that people tend to forget. There was a country of good honest people who were held hostage by their own . This is prefectly portrayed in the novel. The Characters are wonderful, especially Mama, Papa, Rudy, and Death.
Can we talk about death for a moment? Brilliant, absolutely brilliant having death as the narrator. He's charming, sarcastic,sardonic, moving, frightening there aren't enough words to describe him in full. One of my favorite narrators.

There is so much heartand soul poured into this book. I teared up , and I HAVE no soul!

If you do end up falling madly in love with "The Book Thief", as I know you will- Read his other book "I Am The Messanger". " The Book Thief" was a wonderful book and it affected the way I think about the world but " I Am The Messanger" changed my life. If I hadn't read that book, I wouldn't be here now. I wouldn't be in school, or have had the courage to do all that I've accomplished in the 4 years since the first time I read it.

I guess all together, Markus Zusak is one of the most influential authors I've read.
Who are we, but the stories we tell.

163 Reviews

Reviews: 163
Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:55 am
Mysticalxx says...

I LOVE IT, it was such a heart touching book, and the movie was truly touching too.
We all want to be different, which makes us all the same.

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:58 am
origamidragons says...

It's an incredibly beautiful and unique book. I loved it. I got it for my last birthday and just devoured it. I especially loved the relatable nature of the characters and the unique narrator.

Facebook is that cockroach that you just can't kill
— Gravity