z

Young Writers Society

Silverwing, Sunwing, and Firewing

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:44 pm
Firestar says...

I love these books!!! If you haven't read them, all I can say is you're missing out on some great books. I have heard some people say that they didn't like the third one, but I have yet to hear someone say something bad about the first two.
Admiration: Our polite recognition of another's resemblance to ourselves.

Dopeler Effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

Confidence: the feeling a person has before he fully understands the situation.

Shin: A device for finding furniture in the dark.

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:33 pm
WaterVyper says...

Oh yes, I definitely love them! I didn't think the third one was that bad. Well, it was a little bit difficult to keep up with but I loved it! Goth is one persistent guy- bat- isn't he? And I love Shade, especially in the last book. The ending was kinda sad...
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Fri May 06, 2011 5:23 pm
RedBird says...

I love these books so much! I first read them when I was ten, and man, did they draw me in. I love bats, and always have, and the fact that these were the only books that I could ever find that had BATS as the main characters instantly hooked me. And apart from that, the plot is well thought out, the characters are disconcertingly human for being bats, and the villain is pretty much the most twisted and evil one you could want. Even beyond that, the fact that Oppel links some events from human history into his stories is deliciously intelligent. The mythology of the bats, as well as their culture, are fascinatingly alien, as well, and that was a large part of why I read these books.

On a side note, Kenneth Oppel, the author, has written some other great books as well: Darkwing (also about bats), and the Airborn trilogy.
And remember...A portkey can be any sort of harmless object...A football...or a dolphin.
~Snape, AVPM

"You are the egg, you are the chrysalis, you are the progeny. You are the rot that falls from stars."
~Will Henry, on Typhoeus magnificum

I want to understand you, I study your obscure language.
— Alexander Pushkin