z

Young Writers Society

Micheal Crichton's Jurassic Park

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:36 pm
View Likes
MadHatter says...

I recently read Micheal Crichton's Jurassic Park, the book that inspired the movie. The book started off really boring and made me wonder if I was reading the right book. It seemed like a totally different story. But once you get past the first few chapters it all starts to make sense and sound somewhat like the movie. The story then becomes very interesting and grabs your attention. Then comes the DNA chapters and the book becomes so uninteresting that you really want to just throw it down on the ground and go do something stupid to wipe all of the scientific mumbo jumbo out of your mind. But don't. The books gets very interesting very fast. It grabs you by the horns and drags you. The end of the book leaves you with a good feeling and enjoying yourself. The plot gets a 10/10.

Now the character development. Crichton did a very good job of introducing the characters. He didn't do it all at once creating a very boring section of the book but did it over time as to make you very interested. I felt some of the characters introductions were a little bit rushed, but only just a little bit. Character Development gets a 5/5.

Final Score: 15/15

This book is a must read. Anyone that wants to read a good book that leaves you with a good grammar feeling. This is an excellent book that everyone should read. I'd even go as far to say that this book is better than the movie.
Voldemort: You kids! If I ever find out who's calling I will tell the wizard law and you will go to wizard jail and then I'll kill you!

Harry Potter Puppet Pals - Wizard Swears

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:41 am
AspiringAuthorA..M. says...

That is like one my all time favorite books! So suspenseful! My heart beat faster than it did when I watched the movie as a kid! :smt043 :smt041 :smt038 :smt026 :elephant: :smt023 :smt031
"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
-John 11:25-26

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:16 pm
fire_of_dawn says...

I shall have to get a copy from the library.
Actually, I believe the author is still publishing
books.
"Do? I'll tell you what we'll do! We'll be ready!"
Matthias, from Redwall

"Life consists of doing the impossible."
Brother Fir, The Heir of Mistmantle

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:53 am
View Likes
AspiringAuthorA..M. says...

fire_of_dawn wrote:I shall have to get a copy from the library.
Actually, I believe the author is still publishing
books.

The author is dead. :(

But his work lives on. :smt059
"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
-John 11:25-26

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:17 pm
View Likes
RedBird says...

A good review, but I'd have to say that I disagree about the "scientific mumbo-jumbo" part. The science is one of the inherent parts of all of Crichton's books, and they would lose a lot of their potency without it. Given that most, if not all, of his books are based in scientific fact, a great deal of the suspense derives from his explanations of scientific concepts. They're part of the thrill, one could say.
Of course, that's just me, but, overall, I think that his books need a lot of the science to drive them.
And remember...A portkey can be any sort of harmless object...A football...or a dolphin.
~Snape, AVPM

"You are the egg, you are the chrysalis, you are the progeny. You are the rot that falls from stars."
~Will Henry, on Typhoeus magnificum

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:51 am
AlfredSymon says...

Hiya! This is Alfred, your Quick Critique!
It's quite weird to give a revue about another review, so I'll just give my impression to your work!

I've watched Jurassic Park a lot of times but this is the first time I heard the contents of the book it is based from. I is also my first time to hear the author's name, which is quite a tongue twister so I won't mention. I really appreciate your thoughts about the general presentation of the book. The characters, from what you've just said, was introduced slowly per section. I think this is good too. it's a technique of authors, and I believe it's great.

The part wherein you told the science thing and the uninteresting thing disturbed me a bit though. Because I believe that every part of a book is as interesting as any other part of it, and 'cause I love science-y stuff! But I do APPRECIATE your thought about it. It showed that people have different perspectives and that authors should do better!

I just wonder about the final score. Out of the many things that aren't that impressive about the book, you still gave it a perfect score. It seems that you are to good :wink: .

Review Revue: :D :D :) :) :?
Great review, keep it up!

Your kudos-er,
Al
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:12 am
Wolfi says...

OMG OMG OMG OMG
This is my favorite book ever!!! And Michael Crichton is my favorite author... I've read eleven of his books; they are incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, he died in 2008 :smt022 but you ARE correct that some books of Crichton's are still being published. Just in 2011, "Micro" was published. It was really good! Crichton was in the process of writing it when he died; Richard Preston finished it up and did a great job! If you enjoyed "Jurassic Park," check out "Micro!" And "Timeline." And "The Lost World" (of course). And "Sphere."
John 14:27:
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled
and do not be afraid.

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:13 am
Wolfi says...

Just to let you guys know, "Crichton" rhymes with "frighten." :D
John 14:27:
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled
and do not be afraid.

What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. That doesn't happen much, though.
— J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye