z

Young Writers Society

Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:50 pm
OxfordandOnyx says...

I liked Twilight but boy did SM reuse the same words a couple a hundred times a page...
"Grimace, chisled, marble, amber, liquid, topaz, Blah... Blah.. Blah"

But Breaking Dawn was just sick in a book.
Four kinds of people I hate most in life.
1. People who use a preposition to end a sentence with.
2. People who can't count.
3. People who think it's 'clever' to quote ironic phrases.

Reviews: 3
Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:18 am
dextrophobia says...

I read Twilight before all the hype and I don't know it was just... mediocre. It was exactly what I expected from a book about teenage vampires. And I'm a fourteen year old girl: I should be swearing my eternal love to Edward Cullen.

What I don't get is the hype over all of this. Although SM must be a genius from the way she can control legions of teen girls with a book. At least they're reading now.
How about this for a headline for tomorrow's paper? French fries.
Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.
~~ James French, d. 1966

Reviews: 4
Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:27 pm
life_is_for_living says...

I thought the books were well written, but absolutely murdered by the film. They were dire actors and could not act.
Although Stephanie Meyer is a good author, she cannot create a new story line. :(
Her new book, The Host, maybe thrilling, but her books are all on the super natural, and if she wants to be noted as a good author in history (Dickens, Stoker,e.c.t), she must learn to write as she does, but in a different context (normal human emotions?).
Smile!!!
:) It's always good! :)

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:31 pm
Lucinda says...

You know what I was just thinking?
Stephanie Meyer could have been great--she certainly had the passion for her characters--but she didn't get enough advice along the way. Like, if she posted her work here, she'd get some serious critiquing. I think that now, she's just floating in a bubble of praise from the fangirls, so getting better is going to be a lot more difficult.
The history of the world
My pet
Is learn forgiveness
And try to forget!

-Sweeney Todd

I'm a damsel...
I'm in distress...
I can handle it.
Have a nice day.

-Hercules

Masquerade!
Paper faces on parade
Masquerade
Hide your face so the world can never find you.

-The Phantom of the Opera

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:08 pm
HowrseRyder says...

I couldn't agree more. Stephanie Meyer is a good writer, but it wasn't exactly the best writing I've ever seen. The story was good and everything, but I just feel like the story was empty writing and I think that her main character is sort of pathetic. I thought the story would've been better if the character was stronger I guess you could say or I think that maybe she should've made Edward the main character. I'm not saying that twilight is horrible in every way, but geez. I don't think that she should be getting all of this praise. All I'm saying is, as a writer, it wasn't the best writing I've ever read and I think that it wasn't a great book. Sorry, I like Harry Potter better. :mrgreen: :wink:

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:07 pm
a_kittens_claws says...

I honestly didn't care for any of the Twilight Saga books.
For one, they're all perfect characters, I mean it's not to hard to figure out that Stephanie herself is Bella and it's all her sexual adventure with a vampire.
Next, there's not plot whatsoever.
The reason the books are so popular is because Bella has no personality and anyone can put themselves in her shoes. And then there's the fact that she repeats tons of words in the whole series! It's said that Stephanie Meyer never wrote the word 'said' in the whole first book, and I don't really want to check that out, but she covers that up with enough 'breaths' for a person to hyperventalate.
Next, her vampire sparkle
And then there's Edward: Edward is too perfect and has no flaws either. Even vampires should have flaws besides wanting to suck human blood because it’s natural to them.
Speaking of perfect characters, back to Bella, Stephanie covers up having no flaws by her being 'clumsy.' That's really not a flaw because Edward catches her most of the time anyway.
And then Stephanie makes these amazing characters like Alice and Jasper and never thinks about developing them! Arg! I want to know more about them because they're semi-notperfect!!! :evil:
And then Twilight has so many factual errors! Like 'Rosalie's family was doing fine in the Great Depression because her father was a banker,' um, in all reality bankers were dirt poor in those times! And then how Jasper had to 'lie' to join the Confederate Army when he was 18, they would've let him in then!
And then there's the little fact that Edward Cullen is a pedifile, I mean he's like 100 years old! Does that scream pedifile to you that he wants to have Bella?
The only reason Bella and Edward are attracted to each other is because she smells good and he's hot. And then the world population will come to an end because all girls who read this book will think they are Bella and will wait for their Edward to come until they are old. And he’ll never come!
Meyer can’t think of original names. The only original name she used was Rennesme, which is combination of two names and doesn’t count.
There is too much face touching. It's both predictable and childish.
Stephen King agrees that Stephanie Meyer can’t write ‘worth a darn’. And Stephen King is an amazing writer!
I hate that fangirls are so blinded by their love for Edward that they don’t realize the book is terrible!
Every Other Facebook bumper sticker is about Twilight/Edward. EVERY OTHER ONE. Goodness!
If the first 200 pages of your book rely on the mystery of a character’s identity, don’t slap “First, Edward was a vampire” on the back cover. Meyers wrote four books about nothing, really.
There’s far too little actual conflict in the story. But this probably stems from having a flawless main character. :thud:
Edward is HOT. We get it. The reason Edward can’t read Bella’s mind is because she doesn’t have one.
There’s nothing worse than a fan girl going insane over a fictional guy. It’s rather pathetic actually, so, um, yeah, get a life and keep reading those books, chickies.
Bella has no goals and no future, her life revolves around Edward. What is that teaching the teens of our age?
Jacob, who didn’t abuse Bella and was nice to her, was dumped and she chose Edward. Hmm, masochistic much?
“Cause it’s dumb.” – Random Person on the Street
“It’s annoying as hell.” – Random Person on the Street #2

And I always trust random people on streets.
“It would have been much better if Jacob and Edward discovered they were gay: no sequels, no whiny Bella. Amen to that.” Agreed whoever said this!
:idea: Stephanie Meyer must really be into pedophilia: first Edward and Bella, now Jacob and Renesseme?
How about that vampire vs. werewolves thing, eh? That's[i] Original. :roll:
Next, Stephanie stole the whole [i]book[i]from a much better writer named L.J. Smith! You know, Vampire Diaries? Which was written [i]10 years
before the terrible Twilight Saga!
Even if you like the book, it doesn’t live up to its hype.
WWJTFD: What Would a Judgmental Twilight Fan Do? Answer: attempt to attack with the ‘cool vampire powers’ they gained from reading the series. Awesome!
:roll:
The only reason I kept reading was to see if Bella could redeem herself by getting over him.
Guess what? Instead she married him! SPOILER!
You are allowed to have your own opinion, just like I am allowed to have mine. Get over it. Twilight fans don’t seem to understand that though and attack at the mention of flaw in the book.
Did you steal my mayonaise? Oh well. I don't care. Mayo sucks anyway.

-Sydney:)

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:08 am
SilentOllie says...

Oh dear, well I'm just saying ahead of time- I dont want to sound like a party pooper, but the Twilight Series aren't the "best books ever written" or such. However, the first book in the series was probably the most interesting and exciting book of the series. But- the rest were just to full of drama and teenage jealousy and hormones. I give Stephenie Meyer credit for the creative world that she portrays in Forks, WA- but it still doesn't change my opinion on the books.

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:36 am
empressoftheuniverse says...

I agree with the kitten claws above me. I've read far too many great and poor books to mistake Stephenie Meyer as anything but a mediocre writer in the romance genre. Which wouldn't bother me, if people read her books on the quiet with their whiskey, enjoying their senseless guilty pleasures. But now everyone and their brother has read twilight and enjoyed it on some base, crass level. I couldn't make my way through the series; I stopped after the first few paragraphs of the third and had soem of my freinds tell me the rest of the story.
Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart.
*Le Bible
Royal Reviews Here!

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:40 am
forgottenfallen says...

Spoiler! :
I think she totally ruined Breaking Dawn with Renesmee appearing, I could have thought of a much better ending! I am personally Team Volturi, because at the end of BD I would have been so much happir if they just killed all of em :)

And if the Cullens had researched their family history, they would have realized that their last name means 'puppy/cub' in Irish! Maybe they and the Blacks/Clearwaters/Uleys are closer than they thought....
He was just one of the forgotten fallen...one? Maybe the only. All he knew was that if anyone another angel had fallen someone would have come and helped them up.

Oh gosh Maths has never sounded so good : "Lexifer"

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:51 pm
myintensity says...

The twilight series is amazing and i read all four books in one week. I simply couldnt put them down. Edward stole my heart while i was reading these books and i grew to hate jacob and his childish ways. I recommend these books to everyone they are fantastic!

~myintensity~

489 Reviews

Reviews: 489
Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:59 am
Dreamwalker says...

Twilight series? = nay.

The characters were flawed immensely and compared to literary genius such as romeo and juliet is a an insult.

I'm not trying to be cruel but the writing style was awful. If it had been marketed like Harry Potter as a book series in which shoul be read by elementary school children than maybe it would have been seen higher in my eyes but this is for young teens and teens alike as the content is far from what a child should be reading.

The day people decided abusive, depressed relationships are romatic was the day a piece of my heart died xP.

So sorry if this book series had been something for you. I find no solace in its pages.
Suppose for a moment that the heart has two heads, that the heart has been chained and dunked in a glass booth filled with river water. The heart is monologuing about hesitation and fulfillment while behind the red brocade the heart is drowning. - R.S

489 Reviews

Reviews: 489
Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:03 am
Dreamwalker says...

Twilight series? = nay.

The characters were flawed immensely and compared to literary genius such as romeo and juliet is a an insult.

I'm not trying to be cruel but the writing style was awful. If it had been marketed like Harry Potter as a book series in which shoul be read by elementary school children than maybe it would have been seen higher in my eyes but this is for young teens and teens alike as the content is far from what a child should be reading.

The day people decided abusive, depressed relationships are romatic was the day a piece of my heart died xP.

So sorry if this book series had been something for you. I find no solace in its pages.
Suppose for a moment that the heart has two heads, that the heart has been chained and dunked in a glass booth filled with river water. The heart is monologuing about hesitation and fulfillment while behind the red brocade the heart is drowning. - R.S

Reviews: 0
Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:24 pm
Naydy says...

OMG! I read all those book but I don't like was Breaking Dawn. Too much page, too boring and I didn't understand that book. Edward rock that Jacob. My friend is team Jacob and I'm team Edward.
Tear down! the walls that will surround
Cry out! above the burning sound
Show me! how bleeding hearts still pound
If we stand together,we will be unbroken!

Reviews: 1
Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:06 pm
mikaylakk25 says...

I read twilight in two days, and couldnt wait to buy new moon so i had my mom buy it immediately after finishing twilight. Same with eclipse and breaking dawn. I'm in love.
Yes, I love him. Yes, I can never have him. Yes, I don't care.
Love can't be controlled.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:30 pm
Mochi says...

I hated the books. I honestly couldn't stand Meyer's writing style.
Vous trouvez l'océan trop clair, trop noir, trop bleu ;
Vous détestez le ciel parce qu'il montre Dieu ;
-Victor Hugo «À ceux qui sont petits»

I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done.
— Steven Wright