Reviews: 41
Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:13 am
Telina says...

*Relaxes in Switzerland with Meep and fragile_heart(!)*

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:40 am
Thirst_23 says...

two weeks ago, I didn't know they existed. Now, BELLA AND EDWARD FOREVER! (pun intended.)
Authos give life to their characters,
and characters give life to the author

194 Reviews

Reviews: 194
Mon May 11, 2009 9:45 pm
Sela Locke says...

I couldn't resist throwing my bit in.

I've practically done a study on Twilight. I've been on YWS for over a year, and found oodles of Twifans and anti-Twilighters alike. The Twifans's writing is nearly always repetitive and flat, not to mention most often in first-person, and the characters are without substance. I'm not trying to insult anyone, this's my honest opinion and I have the right to say it. Meanwhile, the anti-Twi's writing was mostly better, more inventive, and original. The characters were less Bella and Edward copies, and the plot-lines actually interesting.

Of course, most of you'll snicker, and think, She's just biased and wishes she could write as well as Steph can.

UNTRUE! Well, to some extent. I read Twilight around the time I first joined YWS. In fact, someone (it's unlikely, but still) might remember that at first, Stephenie Meyer was on my Favorite Authors list. My opinion, at that time? I never liked Bella beyond the occasional chuckle at her cliche, self-deprecating jokes. Edward always annoyed me some, although the allure of the perfect boyfriend was, to put it as Steph might, dazzling. I liked the plot-line okay, and it was sort of an addiction, for a while. Yes, I did like it.

But, wait. Stop. Rewind. Perfect boyfriend? Since when? If Bella hadn't had this fantastic blood, Edward never would have liked her! He never even would have noticed her, and this I can all but prove, because I read the draft of Midnight Sun on Stephenie Meyer's site after mostly extricating myself from Twilight's mundane clutches (more on that later). My point is, there really isn't anything about Bella to like, beyond her yummy blood. She's the stereotypical teenage girl, from her 'heart-shaped' face to her flat narrative. If Steph Meyer really was like that in high school (and I recall her admitting she was), then all I can say is that I feel for her friends. There never really is a clear reason for Edward to like Bella, and I'm not even going to start on the vampires-are-dead-how-the-hell-can-they-love thing.

I could go on like this for hours, but I think I'll skip that and say just one more thing. Even after I saw some reason (mostly from my lovely and smart older sisters) and started disliking Twilight (if not for the boring writing then because of the horrible example it sets for tween/teenage girls everywhere), I still harbored a sort of affection for the simple, sort of immature plot-line, and for the cliche-yet-loveable character that is Jacob Black - at least when you first really know him in New Moon. It was during those days of hating-but-still-sort-of-liking that series that I stumbled upon the first twelve chapters of Midnight Sun on Stephenie Meyer's official website.

So I read it. Or started, anyway. I got through a few chapters of Edward despising and then suddenly loving Bella before I had to stop. It was so boring! The parts that weren't him sitting in her bedroom at night staring at her beautiful heart-shaped face and wanting to run his hands through her silky brown hair tended to be of him thinking about sitting in her bedroom at night staring at her beautiful heart-shaped face and wanting to run his hands through her silky brown hair. I scrolled down to the ending of the last chapter (the twelfth, mind you), and it was pretty much the exact same slop, except now he actually could run his hands through her silky brown hair, because they were dating. Improvement? No, not really.

I gave Steph one last chance, of sorts. I pulled up my word-finder thing with a tap of Ctrl+F, and searched dazzling, icy, pale, and a few other words that seemed to keep popping up in the same places.

Let's just say I found way, way too many.

-SELA
Last edited by Sela Locke on Tue May 12, 2009 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Well, I can't eat muffins in an agitated manner. The butter would probably get on my cuffs. One should always eat muffins quite calmly. It is the only way to eat them.

--Algernon, The Importance of Being Earnest

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Mon May 11, 2009 9:55 pm
tori1234 says...

Sela, you're my new BFF! I totally agree with you!
Nants ingonyama bagithi Baba
Sithi uhm ingonyama
Nants ingonyama bagithi baba
Sithi uhhmm ingonyama
Ingonyama
Siyo Nqoba
Ingonyama
Ingonyama nengw' enamabala

If you know what this is from, become my best friend. =)

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:24 am
wookielover17 says...

OMG!!! I love those books they are all so awsome!!!!!! I'm a Twi-hard Twilighter!!!!!!! My favorite out of all of them is New Moon!!!! I'm a total Team Jacob!!!!! I know I'm a little late on replying but I couldn't resist!!!!

PS: Jacob is sooooooooooooo mine!!!!! Edward rocks but Jacob rocks so much more!!!!!!!!

TWILIGHT!!!!
wookielover17
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:31 am
Ellyphant says...

Ugh. Edwards annoying. Bella's got mental issues. Jacob's a wannabe indian stalker. Jaspers a friggin ghost. Alice is nothing more than a witch. And all of those other characters are nothing but losers. I don't know how anyone can stand Stephanie's writing. My opinion is that the human race (mainly females) obsess over change and cliche lovey crap. So when a writer changes one thing, everyone freaks out. I mean come on guys, seriously? Twilight? Vampire and Human cross? How can this happen? How can something dead make something alive? When Steph's books first came out, I have to admit it did keep my intriqued. After I read the series a second time, I was bored. Vampires should stay with Vampires. Just like in AVP. Aliens and Predators need to stay seperate or it causes a great deal of pain for our eyes. :lol: I am not trying to offend anyone, but it would be nice if everyone would stop freaking out about these books. They're words in hard cover. Nothing more.

*Shiny Vampires? What!?!?*

This is my own opinion and I'm stickin' to it and I presume that everyone else will be doing the same.
You're more than wonderful
More than amazing
The irreplaceable
Love of my life
You're so incredible
In these arms tonight
The irreplaceable
Love of my life

-Love of My Life, Brian McKnight.

261 Reviews

Reviews: 261
Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:39 am
KnightlyAngel09 says...

I think it's insane how much people love twilight.

Edward and Bella are both obssessed freaks. Breaking Dawn was just plain disgusting.

Yes, my dears, I actually read the whole series. They cost a hell lot and I was bought the hardbound copies and they would have been better use starting a fire than for reading.

I thought Twilight was ok. It was like VERY CLICHE chick lit with this weird sparkly vampires. But it was still bad. Compared to the other books it was ok though. New Moon felt like I was watching some kid groveling in a corner....

ugh.

I HATE THOSE BOOKS. They're a waste of paper.
All that I'm after is a life full of laughter, as long as I'm laughing with you.:)

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:13 am
pudin.junidf says...

Ok,so I read the whole saga God knows how many times. I really liked them and each time I read them I felt like it was the first time I was reading them. But as I read each of them I found some flaws (using the author's favorite word) and that was one of them, the word repetition and my favorite was Breaking Dawn, it's toatally cool. I liked Twilight because it intorduces the new favorite vamp, meaning "dazzling " Edward but besides that, nothing. It's all about Bella's extreme clumsiness and how "dazzled" she was, boring. Then, when I saw some critiques about it saying that it was plotless I almost broke the machine, but as I read the book over and over again, I had to agree, sadly .BUt still with lack of plot and everything, I like the story.
So this is the oreder in which I like them.
1. Breaking Dawn
2. New Moon
3. Eclipse
4. Twilight
Les sanglots longs
Des violons
De l'autonne
Blessent mon coeur
D'une langueur
Monotone.

Verlaine

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:32 pm
Maddyc says...

I think it would have been a thing I would have adored a few years ago, had I read it then. I totally understand why people would love it, people love to fantasise about these things. I do, but just not about Twilight. I read the first one and didn't think it was that special. But I don't understand why people get so het up about it saying how terrible it is? It's just a book (a BAD book given, but think of the joy it's given to people).

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:55 am
TeeHeex3 says...

Actually Jacob was revealed as a werewolf in New Moon.

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:41 pm
Lucinda says...

I can't say I like Twilight (or the others) at all. I can sort of see the appeal as a beach read, but not as a, I don't know, real piece of literature.
I think everyone else pretty much made my points about the characters and the plot, (darn you guys are eloquent!) but my main problem is that Stephanie Meyer says that she doesn't "write meanings". But really, the messages that come across are things like, "Looks are the most important thing in a relationship", "Stalking is romantic, as long as the stalker is hot," etcetera. ;)
Plus there's the fact that Bella and Edward, like, never ever grow as characters. Bella starts out a whiny clutz, and the ends a whiny clutz. Edward starts out, well, perfectgorgeousamazingperfecthotwonderfuldidImentionperfect, so what's to change there?
The history of the world
My pet
Is learn forgiveness
And try to forget!

-Sweeney Todd

I'm a damsel...
I'm in distress...
I can handle it.
Have a nice day.

-Hercules

Masquerade!
Paper faces on parade
Masquerade
Hide your face so the world can never find you.

-The Phantom of the Opera

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:53 pm
Chloe(: says...

Lol, I love your post, Lucinda.
Formerly known as Vivacious.

Full of Cliches:a challenge to see who can write a piece with the most cliches.

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:18 pm
Kamas says...

Oh my deary goodness! I gets to rant :OOOO
Yay!!

I read Twilight long before it became a trend. Like loooonnnnggg before.
So I believe to have a stronger uninfluenced opinion.

Seriously. Bad book. Seriously.
Though I have to hand it to Meyer that she managed to get a lot of non - readers to actually read. No matter how bad the book was. And she made quite a handsome lump of cash from it. So congrats to her for that.

But she is not a good writer, let alone a talented one. Her vocabulary is limited to one of a 15 year old. Her characters are stereotypical and one-dimensional. Her plot is long and boring. And her idea is just... blah.

I found Breaking Dawn absolutely repulsive. It was just...gross. Seriously, you have a teenage audience. No need to get that kind of stuff in their heads. And personally I find Edward to be a ceepy, not-to"dazzling" stalker. Jacob is an obessive friend soon to be stalker. and Bella's just... in a comic book she's be those stick character people throw around. Some silly rag doll that's in love with anything that's "supernatural" / creepos.

That's my opinion. Anyone else's is anyone else's, doesn't matter to me but I suggest subtly to read any book you want with a larger vocabulary range.
"Nothing is permanent in this wicked world - not even our troubles." ~ Charles Chaplin

#tnt

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:46 pm
Lucinda says...

Her vocabulary is limited to one of a 15 year old.

:lol: I feel fifteen year old writers around the world cringing.
But seriously, you make some very good points. To be honest, I'm not sure I understand why anyone *enjoys* Twilight. (And Twilight had the steadiest plot of all four!)

I found Breaking Dawn absolutely repulsive. It was just...gross.

Oh, goodness, I agree with that. Especially it ticks me off because
Spoiler! :
Bella skips the "newborn" vampire series where you go crazy and have to drink blood. 'Cause she's just that "speshul" that she can defy the very laws that Stephanie Meyer set down? Try again, Meyer.
The history of the world
My pet
Is learn forgiveness
And try to forget!

-Sweeney Todd

I'm a damsel...
I'm in distress...
I can handle it.
Have a nice day.

-Hercules

Masquerade!
Paper faces on parade
Masquerade
Hide your face so the world can never find you.

-The Phantom of the Opera

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:22 pm
Kamas says...

By 15 year old. I meant she has the limited vocabulary of a child with a dictionary beside them. They find a smart looking word, write it down to look intelligent. Read the Oxford Literary Meanings book. *The Dictionary* It's a fantastic read. >.>

I apologize but the people of this site have a better vocabulary then a grade school teacher who just made a lot of mula. ($$$)
"Nothing is permanent in this wicked world - not even our troubles." ~ Charles Chaplin

#tnt

“Christmas won’t be Christmas without any presents!”
— Little Women