z

Young Writers Society

Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:24 pm
alleycat13 says...

I thought it was/is a great book, but I don't feel it was the best way to end it. I can't think of a better way that it could have finished, but it's just one of those things---the whole series was so good, how do you end it? There's no way to end it perfectly, but I think Rowling did the best she could.

I'm a crybaby when it comes to books and movies. I started crying when Snape died and gave Harry his memories and didn't stop. Yeah, I kept crying all the way to the epilogue.

It was great.
Calvin : You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
Hobbes : What mood is that?
Calvin : Last-minute panic.

Got YWS?

99 Reviews

Reviews: 99
Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:38 pm
Monki says...

I didn't cry on the outside, because my best friend was reading over my shoulder. But I was sobbing quietly and she sort of heard me, so she came over and wanted to read what made me cry. Ha ha. She started crying too. She always thought that Harry Potter was stupid. But I forced her to read the first one and she's currently ordering the whole set! -sighs- She's borrowing mine at the moment and better not be ruining them either! :)
Tom Riddle: "You read my diary?"
Harry Potter: "At first, I did not know it was your diary. I thought it was a very sad, handwritten book."

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:52 am
Shadeslayer says...

yes, i too have--- *coughs* nearly cried during some of the parts of the last Harry Potter book, but the sadest thing is my friend Dean still hasn't read number 7!
I Should Have Complete Faith In My Own Existence, Because In Order To Be Decieved About Anything, I Must First Exist

Got YWS?
Go The Dragons!

96 Reviews

Reviews: 96
Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:58 am
Acoustic Sensitivity says...

Someone should really continue on with the HP Universe. Well someone could write a story before the events of the 7 books (Maybe about the childhood of Dumbledore) or a continuation of the epilogue. I think it would be a hit like Star Wars Universe.
"Reborn into a shooting star."
-Acoustic Sensitivity

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:30 pm
StellaThomas says...

I really loved the book. I cried in several parts. The epilogue I found a tad too sickly sweet after reading about all the awful deaths. But I understand that this book was where she was always planning to go with the series, so I can't complain about the content (apart from the fact she made Ron a traitor, let's face it, I wasn't the only one who danced a jig when he came back).

And may I ask, am I the only person that's read these books that cares about the fate of Lavender Brown?
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:01 pm
Fantasyfreak14 says...

I LOVED this one. It was probably the best Harry Potter book by far! Though it was also the one where I cried the most. So many people died!
"Its a brave new world."
-Sylar

Reviews: 4
Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:56 am
Keiraan says...

I have to say that I was never a big fan of the Harry Potter series but I became somewhat interested after watching the first movie on TV for lack of better things to do one day. I read the last book when it became available at the local library seeing as I have no job and no possible way of purchasing a book even if I wanted to. Funny because of the way I dress the librarians kept glaring at me and no doubt whispering to each other about me as I had sat there for a good half a day with my nose in that book. xD 'round here people don't usually stick around longer than a half hour so it was something new for them.

I absolutely love it to death and will more than likely read the whole series all over again just for fun. It made me cry and I usually don't cry at all over anything. Incredible is all I can say, purely incredible.
"He's mad as a box of frogs." - Hatter

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:14 pm
Lil Dono says...

To me, this book was NOT a Harry Potter book until they got to Hogwarts again. I understand that the last book had to be different and it was necessary for the characters to journey away from Hogwarts but I think it was a mistake to have them away for so long. Until "The Battle of Hogwarts" I thought it was utterly boring (camping in the woods...fuuun. Oh look! A sword!) but when they arrived back at Hogwarts, I got totally into it again.

I guess to me, you just have to have Hogwarts to be a Harry Potter book.

But man, the Battle of Hogwarts was awesome; I pictured the whole thing in my head which is something I never do.

The deaths were hard; I was not pleased with Fred, Lupin, or Tonks' deaths. It seems to me like Lupin and Tonks after all the crap they've been through should have gone on to live a happy life. And Fred is just Fred. You can't have "Fred and George" without Fred.

Snape's character, I don't think, was that complex, but it was perfect. I was (half) expecting Snape to be totally good inside and have protected Harry because of that, but later on you find out while Snape does have a heart, he is no hero. He just loved Lily.

...Dumbledore coming back was just...eh. I hated it when he died, but I loathed it when he came back. If he's gonna be dead, just stay dead.

I agree with OnCeUpOnAtIm3Xo and Stella Thomas. The ending was too...happy, which is funny because I always want the ending to be happy. The whole naming people after deciest character was just confusing. (Wait? How many kids did they have? I thought he was Ron's kid? Wait, wha?) I don't ship any pairings, but I didn't really like any of them in the epilogue. I really think it should have been left out.

The epolouge was good, but not good enough. I mean...I really didn't like how he renamed his children after his parents. And i cannot see Harry marrying Ginny! She is like sooooooo ugly in the movies! Anyway..Harry would be good with Hermiony, and she is too hot for Ron...Ron should just be single. Ron and Hermiony fought all the time.. I don't see a happy marrige in there.

Technically, we're talking about the book here, not the movie, so really the characters could pictured however the reader pictures them, not by how they look in the movie.

Second, relationships aren't based off of looks.

And Third, Ron and Hermione (no, I'm not a shipper of anything) follow the Opposites Attract road; they fit like puzzle pieces because what Ron lacks Hermione has to make up for and vise versa. Furthermore, arguing all the time doesn't exactly have to be "RAWR I HATE YOU" arguing, there's such thing as affectionate banter.
Last edited by Lil Dono on Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

522 Reviews

Reviews: 522
Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:16 pm
canislupis says...

I really don't see why these books were such a hit. Honestly! There are sooooo many books that are better than this series, and yet the author is a billionaire.

Think about it. The characters are dull and lack depth, the villain is soooo evil and everyone except the 'great harry potter' (who has anger issues, just so the author can pretend she's created a incredibly flawed and yet still perfect character) is terrified of him.

The main characters in this book spend a good portion of it camped in the woods. Yeah. Exciting!

Even Dumbledore, who spent the last six books as a white-haired old mentor figure, has suddenly become a person.

Overall, I have to say I was not very impressed with this book. Still, I admit it was much better than the 4-6th books, which were just stupid.

80 Reviews

Reviews: 80
Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:57 am
Jay says...

I agree with Lil Dono-Hogwarts is the best thing about the Harry Potter series. I still liked the ending, though-all the loose ends were tied up nicely and I loved that Moaning Myrtle's bathroom was a room of requirement.

37 Reviews

Reviews: 37
Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:09 pm
jenni321 says...

Huh? Harry Potter? What's that...?
On a scale of 1 to Random, I'm pretty ADHD.

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:28 pm
StellaThomas says...

...I sincerely hope that you're joking... else you must have been living under a rock for the past ten years or so...
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:36 am
AspiringAuthorA..M. says...

I loved that book. I've read it three times. :P
"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
-John 11:25-26

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:37 pm
midnightread says...

I'm not the sort of person who cries reading hp. My mum was annoyed at me cause I wouldn't let anyone else read it until I'd read it twice through. It didn't take long to read I literally sat and devoured it. I love the 19 years later bit and I can't wait for the film tocome out.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
A wise man does not need advice and a fool won't take it.

Growing old is mandatory,
Growing up is optional.

Rugby is a thugs game played by gentle men,
Football is a gentleman's game played by thugs.

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:41 am
skutter11 says...

Is it me, or did Rowling's writting style change in this one? Could something be amiss, here?...
"Madness rides the Star wind"

HP Lovecraft. Ironic, no?

I didn't want to slow time, I just wanted to make a little rock.
— MomoMajesty's brother