z

Young Writers Society

So, Marvel's Infinity War [Spoilers Ahead]

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:52 am
View Likes
Evander says...

Alright, as said in the title, there will probably be spoilers in this discussion. I'm going to ask that all spoilers be encased within a spoiler tag. In addition to that, I would request that posts start with at least three sentences of non-spoiler material (vague things that you like about the movie, vague dislikes, maybe talking about your experience going into the theater) so that spoilers aren't on the site feed.

I'm a bit busy right now, but please tell me your thoughts about Infinity War! I've seen a lot of great differing opinions.
Want to talk about your project? Head on over to the Writers Corner! If you have a question about writing, then head on over to Research! Is your question not big enough to warrant its own thread? Ask away in Little Details!

German rat enthusiast.

324 Reviews

Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:12 pm
View Likes
Evander says...

So, I pretty much saw Infinity War on the last few days that it was showing in theaters in my area. My family drove to see it 45 minutes away. We left at 9 for a showing that started at 9:45 and... ran into a 30 minute traffic jam. So that was fun.

Spoiler! :

So, my basic review of Infinity War is that I think it is everything I hate about the MCU.

I could wrap my review up here, but I think I'll expand on that.

For one, I had absolutely no reason to care about Wanda and Vision. They were both introduced in Ultron, they fell in love(???) for some reason, and they both seemed to exist solely for plot. Plot-device met plot-device and they fell in love.

One of my bigger complaints over the past few movies is that Wanda's powers aren't defined well. She can... control gas? Stop heavy objects? She can heal? She can cause hallucinations? Is there any sort of physical toll for this? What is she struggling with in exchange? Literally, in our introduction to her in AoU, it was "he's fast and she's weird". I'm sorry, Marvel. But weird isn't going to cut it.

I couldn't stand Thanos. I thought he applied his ideology pretty inconsistently. So, like, he would kill off half of the population of the planets he visited to restore "balance", right? Well, what about the dwarves? He killed nearly all of them except one. (Okay, maybe that's a petty thing to knock on but like... dude. Also, he kills off half of the universe and then is like, "ah yes now I can live in peace." Like, if you're going to advocate that half of all life should die, then maybe... don't come out living? Then again, I'm not supposed to like Thanos.

Moving on, Marvel writers just don't play well with other Marvel characters. Like, Hulk has been written inconsistently at best, same with Black Widow.

Also oh my god why couldn't Tony get over a petty feud. If half the universe is going to die, then put aside your grudges and just work with Captain America.

Also! I dislike how they used Doctor Strange's character in this! I've never been a fan of Doctor Strange -- his movie looked cool, but I wasn't necessarily happy for his addition -- but I thought that his powers were wasted in this. Like... he can make portals that send a person to another location, yeah? And it's shown in the movie that you can chop someone's arm off by doing that.

My argument is, why not just do that to fight? Like, that seems like it would be one of the more effective ways to take down Thanos. Chop off his arm, remove the gauntlet, win.

Things I enjoyed about the movie:
1. Groot
2. Spider-Man
3. "Oh, so we're using our made-up names?"
Want to talk about your project? Head on over to the Writers Corner! If you have a question about writing, then head on over to Research! Is your question not big enough to warrant its own thread? Ask away in Little Details!

German rat enthusiast.

109 Reviews

Reviews: 109
Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:24 pm
View Likes
neptune says...

@Evander I've been meaning to get to this for a while now! I have so many thoughts about this movie. I watched it about a month or so ago, so hopefully I'm remembering everything correctly? lol. Nevertheless, I'll try to give my best opinions out!
Spoiler! :
There definitely are several things I agree with you here.

1. Wanda and Vision fell in love??? I mean I went with it throughout the entire movie because I assumed I just missed a previous movie (pretty sure I didn't though). I just thought their relationship took a quick escalation just for the purpose of the plot of this movie?

2. Doctor Strange
I actually thought he was pretty interesting, but he kept refusing to do stuff and could've done probably so much more with his powers. Also, I hadn't seen his movie before watching Infinity War, but afterward I did. His character seemed partially formed just for this movie? Like he having one of the infinity stones just seemed to be to help form the plot. Cause I wasn't that big of a fan of his movie itself (it seemed much emptier compared to other Marvel movies).

3. Tony and Steve just need to get along?? I have to agree with you that Tony needs to get over their feud. Literally they're in much worse circumstances and they were friends so why can't they get along?

Things I'm mad about:
1) Gamora
2) the ending OMG

Other opinions:

Hulk.
Very disappointed with his character portrayal in this movie. I get he was having trouble turning into Hulk, but come on. It was very annoying how he had to use Iron Man's suit. Cause his powers were missing the entire movie. I don't know, maybe that's just me.

I did love how the Guardians of the Galaxy characters were in this! Also Spiderman is the best <3

Anyway, I'm just here waiting for the next movie cause DANG that ending.

Anyway, the movie was really good. Besides the fact that I GOT SPOILED BEFORE I SAW ITt
you can request a review here!
Check out Squills!

324 Reviews

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:11 pm
View Likes
Evander says...

@neptune Ahhh! I'm so happy that someone responded to this thread! And yeah, I pretty much agreed with everything that you said above. Also, omg no I got minorly spoiled too and it pretty much ended up ruining the ending scenes for me.

Okay, sooo uhhh here's everything else in the spoiler.

Spoiler! :
On Wanda and Vision:
Okay, so if I'm remembering correctly, they were introduced in Age of Ultorn. Their romance was built up in Civil War? And then we see them again in Infinity War. So unless you missed Civil War, then you definitely didn't miss any movie with them.

Okay, so apparently I forgot all about this in my initial post, but I lost all love for Peter Quill because of this movie. Or, rather, I'm irritated at the writers for how they handled Star-Lord in this movie.

So, there was the scene wherein they had almost defeated Thanos and they almost had the gauntlet off of his hand. It was really tense. And then Star-Lord came in and punched Thanos??? I don't think that was an honest expression of his character (or, if it was, then I would love for someone to enlighten me), rather it was the writers saying, "Thanos can't be defeated here, therefore Peter Quill must be the one to stop it."

Just, I honestly believe that Star-Lord has more restraint than that. I came out of the movie unbelievably done with his character.

Sometimes, I just wonder if the characters didn't fully understand the stakes of what was going to happen? Like, maybe I just didn't care for Vision since he was a poorly written character, but I honestly thought that destroying his stone to save trillions of lives would have been the best move. The back-and-forth about saving him irritated me. Then again, I think I would feel differently if Captain America or if the Winter Soldier had the mind stone implanted in their head instead.

Also! I will say this! I will never believe that Marvel will permanently kill off characters ever again.

Like, Captain America and Iron Man have to go at some point. They're the disposable characters. Meanwhile, T'Challa and Peter Parker were just introduced. If the writers were going to permanently kill off anyone and have it mean anything, then they should have gone for some of the main crew. Not the newbies! We know that the newbies are contracted on for more movies.

German rat enthusiast.

109 Reviews

Reviews: 109
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:57 pm
neptune says...

Haha yeah, I was on some sort of social media and I saw a post that totally ruined the end for me lol
Spoiler! :
It was the "Mr. Stark I don't feel so good" line. I guess it made me want to see it more, though?

But yeah, totally agree with you that they should be alive, just waiting for that next movie. I mean, it'd be pretty disappointing if they disposed of all the new characters permanently.

I forgot to mention this earlier, but it took FOREVER for Thor to get his hammer set up again that's what he was doing, right? hopefully I'm remembering this all haha. And like, I just feel like it dragged on for so long. I also hadn't watched any of the Thor movies before watching Infinity War, so it was a little confusing at the beginning with Loki and everything. I mean, did Loki just... die?

That's a good point about the Star-Lord thing too!! It was kind of a quick thing that the writers seemed to add in just so Thanos could win again. It's kind of annoying how he isn't portrayed as his true character.

Also, I did actually watch Civil War! I remember them getting introduced but I don't remember any romantic relationship in it? Maybe I should rewatch it lol >.>
you can request a review here!
Check out Squills!

324 Reviews

Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:43 pm
View Likes
Evander says...

I ended up blocking Infinity War mentions on Tumblr, but then my sister's friend ended sharing a post that spoiled a bit.

Spoiler! :

Okay! I definitely recommend watching the Thor trilogy. His character has basically been juggled around a'la the Hulk, but Thor: Ragnorak is worth all of that. (Seriously, I can't remember anything from the first or second Thor movies, but Thor: Ragnorak is absolutely amazing and everyone should watch it.)

Basically, Loki has been killed so many times that his death is basically meaningless. It's a common thing for him to fake his death. So if this is actually Loki being dead for real, then I won't believe it.

Also, to be honest, I don't know if Marvel can redeem any of those deaths for me. If T'Challa and Peter Parker are actually dead, then I'm honestly done with the franchise. But if they come back, then a lot of the stakes will be removed for the story. Either way, I'm skeptical.

As for Civil War, I think there were hints at a romantic relationship between Wanda and Vision? But I also just... didn't care at all. Neither of those characters are compelling.

German rat enthusiast.

Very well; I hear; I admit, but I have a voice too, and for good or evil mine is the speech that cannot be silenced.
— Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness