Young Writers Society

Best Movies You've Seen Recently

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:50 am
View Likes
Elinor says...

Has anyone seen any movies recently that they've really loved?

For me, it would be The Best Years of Our Lives and Ordinary People. As for the former, it won Best Picture, but I don't know why it isn't discussed alongside with movies like Gone With the Wind, It's a Wonderful Life, Citizen Kane and Casablanca as one of the all time greats. Ordinary People was just a really great story that really drew me in.

Any movies come to mind for you guys?

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

Reviews: 0
Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:34 am
View Likes
wunderlust says...

Hi!

I'm new here and this actually my first post (so sorry if I'm doing it wrong!) but I recently saw Shutter Island. It's been out for awhile, but I never got the chance to watch it until a week or so ago. I loved it. If you like psychological thrillers (maybe, horror? It wasn't incredibly scary, but it had an underlying element of it) then I would highly suggest it. It keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole time and the ending will just blow you away. It was amazingly well done.

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:09 pm
Elinor says...

Hey Wunderlust! I really like that movie. I saw it when it came out in the theater. Such a creepy but well done story.

And welcome to YWS! :)

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:32 am
View Likes
alliyah says...

Good question Elinor! I haven't seen either of the movies you mentioned, although will have to check them out if I ever see them around.

I watched a lot of movies over Christmas break -- mostly from the RedBox. A lot of them were "ehhh - not so great" or not memorable, which seems to be a trend of a lot of movies that come out -- they're okay, but just not re-watchable.

Some good ones I've seen recently:

"Shotcaller" -- about a man who ends up in prison, after an unfortunate car accident and then ends up getting involved in gang activity and can't get out. Lots of action. Potentially problematic in the portrayals of prison life - but I thought the overall message was a good one - that once you get involved in gangs it's hard to get out!

And "Dunkirk" -- I guess this came out quite a while ago now, my history-nut friend didn't enjoy it. But I thought it was a good war movie that didn't rely on blood and gore to make it interesting. Definitely a "feel good" movie.

a similar movie that I watched over-break was
"Their Finest" (2016) -- Just watched this because I watched the other Dunkirk movie, but I thought the plot and acting were decent, and sort of funny to watch right after "Dunkirk".

Also one of my favorite movies that I saw this last summer is "Lion" which is a biographical drama (I don't actually know how that's different than a docudrama or a documentary, but wikipedia tells me that's the category it belongs in) about a guy who's adopted from India to a family in the US and then tries to find where he came from. It has Dev Patel in it (who's in "The Man who Knew Infinity" and "Slumdog Millionaire" also two great movies) and wow -- so good! Such good acting, plot, etc. Cried the entire movie and continued crying after it was done. I definitely recommend that one if you haven't seen it.

"A Man Called Ove" and "Oranges and Sunshine" are two other movies to watch if you enjoy crying for literally the entire span of a film. That might just be me though! :D
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:42 am
View Likes
birk says...

Whenever I've watched something lately it always turns out to be Black Mirror (about to start season 4), but, it's not too long since I watched a couple of really fantastic ones.

Lion of the Desert. Great film. About Omar Mukhtar and the resistance against the Italians in prewar Lybia. Love films like this cause they've give me that Lawrence of Arabia vibe.

Life is Beautiful. Alright, I saw this in December, but it's probably the best I've seen for a long time. Absolutely love it. <3

Also saw I, Tonya about a week ago. Pretty good. I've sort of been waiting for a film of her life ever since reading about her when I was younger. It all seemed so absurd, like an episode of Fargo. And the film does that pretty well.
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

I don't care what the miserable excuse is for showing the death of books, live, on screen. Men, I could understand; but books! -
— Edwin Morgan, From the Video Box 2