Elementary
22%

Total votes : 9

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:24 pm
View Likes
sheysse says...

Sherlock Holmes. Easily the most well known fictional detective. Like any popular character and storyline, multiple television adaptations have been created. At the moment, two very popular series are running, both documenting the adventures of Sherlock as he solves mysteries and continues to be fricking awesome. But, one is better than the other. So, I ask you. BBC's Sherlock, or CBS's Elementary?

Obviously, I already know the outcome. Sherlock will probably win in a landslide. However, I ask that you must explain why you choose your pick, and why you dislike the other one, or at least like it less.

I'll begin. Be warned that there will be spoilers.

I personally prefer Elementary for a few reasons. Firstly, there are way more episodes, and they come out more frequently than Sherlock. Of course this a bonus to anything, but it isn't the only reason I choose Elementary.

Both Sherlocks are former drug addicts. Throughout BBC Sherlock, drugs are never brought up. Its as though they never happened. Elementary makes drugs a battle Sherlock is constantly facing, and he even ends up relapsing. The latter is a far more realistic approach than the former.

BBC Sherlock is also constantly portrayed as immensely superior to all others. While this is cool, it makes the watch boring. No one else will ever do anything. Sherlock is almighty. He can solve everything, no help needed, and Watson is always the blundering buffoon following him around. In Elementary, we watch Watson slowly learn from Sherlock's teachings, until eventually she's nearly as capable as him, leading her to defeat Moriarity when Sherlock is unable to. We also see Kitty become comparable to Sherlock and Watson, making another interesting detective character involved.

On the same topic of Sherlock and his superiority, BBC Sherlock almost never, if ever, makes mistakes. And when he does, few people really care. Elementary Sherlock is constantly dealing with his mistakes, and his lack of social skills makes it harder for him to correct them. The best example is when he accidentally lets Bell get shot in the arm and paralyzed from the elbow down. The two stop getting along for a long time, until finally Sherlock tries to apologize, failing miserably.

BBC Sherlock and Elementary Sherlock are complete jerks, but BBC's never seems to be hated by many for long. Even such a detestable person is able to be admired, which is wholly and completely incorrect and unrealistic. Elementary Sherlock, in the other hand, faces intense disdain, and never really changed people's minds.

The main issue most have with Elementary is Watson being female. It seems like it will lead to a cheap relationship between Sherlock and Watson, but that never occurs. They don't even get along all the time. The dynamic between the two is interesting and totally unexpected, making it all the more interesting.

So, tell me what you think. Which do you think is better, and why?

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:53 am
View Likes
Feltrix says...

I don't feel qualified to vote as I haven't seen Elementary, but I find it hard to believe that any Sherlock Holmes interpretation could top Sherlock.
Intrepid Explorer
Squire of the Green Room
Harbinger of the Cosmic Squid
Brief Castaway
Founder of Hermits United
TIME Magazine's 2006 Person of the Year
Dark Matter Overlord
Kind of a Big Deal

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:29 am
sheysse says...

Definitely consider checking out Elementary. In my opinion, it tops Sherlock by a lot.

Who knew Kansas City had its own branch of the Yakuza?
— Jason Sudeikis