z

Young Writers Society

Manchester By the Sea

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Tue May 23, 2017 4:58 am
deleted868 says...

This movie only got three stars on Amazon Prime which surprised me a little, because I actually enjoyed this a lot. I mean, yes it was highly depressing and made me cry a little on the inside, but I felt that the acting was really well done across all of the characters.

I'm kind of curious if some of you guys watched this movie in the first place, and how you felt about it. Should sad movies get low ratings because they're weren't very uplifting at all, even though they weren't meant to make you feel better about yourself?
Hey! I hope your day's been swell, and if not, there's always time for it to get better. See ya!

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Tue May 23, 2017 6:07 am
View Likes
Holysocks says...

Oi, I thought I recognised this title, but then sluffed it off- but I do know it! I tried watching it recently with my mum. We weren't huge fans. I guess it was alright but it was just too stressful to watch for my mum especially.

The thing I found not so appealing about it was a) it was really depressing, but primarily I thought it simply meandered far too much. I wanted to just be told the story, and I felt like we were stuck and I couldn't really tell WHAT the story was supposed to be. Though I didn't end up finishing it, so. :/ Anyway, those are just my thoughts.
100% autistic

1081 Reviews

Reviews: 1081
Tue May 23, 2017 10:03 am
View Likes
Virgil says...

I actually watched this movie with @amelie (who I'd love to hear the opinion of in this thread)! I can understand that not everyone would enjoy the movie, but I found the lead role, Casey Affleck, to be amazing in this movie. The relationship between the characters of both Affleck and Hedges might have been my favorite part of the movie. At the same time, something about the movie felt a little offbeat to me. Of course 'sad' movies shouldn't get bad ratings for being sad.

That's not how critique works. Having something with the characteristic of being highly depressing doesn't mean that it's automatically a bad work or piece of media. I'm having a hard time remembering the movie since it's been awhile since I've seen it, though I remember feeling a bit of a disconnect.

Rightfully, Casey Affleck won the Oscar for Best Actor. Don't let Amazon Prime tell you what's a quality movie and what's not. Decide that for yourself. I can see the critique of the movie being slow-paced and melancholy, but what I don't understand is there being 'too much foul-language' or other sayings similar. I have to say, though, while I'm a fan of the movie, I don't think that I'd ever watch it again, similar to how I feel about other movies that are well made, but certainly not revolutionary.

Will Review For Food - Always taking review requests!

Discuss the last piece of media you consumed in Media Reviews!

382 Reviews

Reviews: 382
Tue May 23, 2017 6:32 pm
View Likes
Dreamy says...

I don't know when I watched this movie but I definitely remember the feelings it kindled in me. Yes, the story is disturbingly depressing. I could feel the melancholy seep from the screen and into my skin. It made me numb; Casey Affleck was indeed phenomenal-- the Affleck's really do have sad faces.

I watched this movie majorly because it was nominated for the Oscars and I, at the time, was ticking off the Oscar nominated movies. Unfortunately, I came across this article in my feed and, to be honest, I had my reservations about the movie after reading it. I even had to put off watching the movie simply because of the article. But at the end, I did end up watching it and the performance was so gripping that I actually forgot everything about the article. And, I'm only guessing that these allegations could have resulted in the ratings of the movie. But I could be wrong because Casey did take home his Oscar.

As far as the story goes, the writer did a great job actually. They didn't sacrifice the story for the sake of the audience. Usually, there's this a panic among the writers on how to build a story without losing their audiences-- but here in this movie, it felt like they didn't care about anything except the proximity of their characters and that's a freaking bold move right there.

Or, maybe the prime time actually cares about people's mental health because it is a very depressing movie.
If any person raises his hand to strike down another on the ground of religion, I shall fight him till the last breath of my life, both as the head of the Government and from outside- Jawaharlal Nehru.

they say money can't buy happiness, but what they don't realize is that money *can* buy novelty socks.
— blueca